Peg

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Postby paul » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:55 pm

You ain't joking, Doug. Houston weather is atrocious, and those mosquitoes drive straight through your clothes.
The medium is the message.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:12 pm

She's been blessed so far this week with temps running 7-8 degrees below norm and a bit of breeze - not un-summery, but definitely better than typical Houston. The mosquitoes are what they are.

Centerpoint Energy is slowly crawling towards restoring their customers; on the minus side, Peggy's still without electric; on the plus side, signs of restoration - power in nearby places, the return of signals a couple blocks away - are appearing, so I'd be surprised if she was still without juice on Thursday.

And Ike Note #9, which went out a little bit ago:

"Ike Note 9: Little Ike Lessons. Candles and home fires take lots of
time. How to make an ice box: softside cooler, garbage bag, ice,
goods, more ice, close, stack several in freezer. Good hot coffee is
priceless. So is clean water and a sturdy home. Melted candle wax is a
decent lighter fluid. Living without power is doable but takes a lot
more effort. Educationally yours, Peggy"

Her spirits are strong and she's shouldering on.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Mark,

Thanks; I do what I can. :)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:22 pm

From Peg:

"Ike Note 10: Signs of Life.

Beyond basics today. Off to friend's for shower, laundry, bit of email. Then to ex's ro check Stormy (he left for a couple of days). Met local pals for lunch. Have 1/2 tank gas, need for commuting, office open thursday. Thus endeth social life driving! :P

Walked to store, scored charcoal and batteries, set for the week. LOL

Having cold drink, icebox working!

Well-adjustedly yours,

Peggy"
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:45 pm

Since Peggy posted Ike Note #11 over on the Pavvy, not sure it needs a redeux here. But I gladly pass along Ike Note #12:

"Ike Note 12: 3 Little Words. I have power!!!! (but not internet, which is why you are getting this via text). Relievedly yours, Peggy."

FinderDoug
Burbank, VA

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:23 am

Shazam!

D.

Peggy

Ike Note 13: The Saga Concludes for Me, but Not for All[

Postby Peggy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:53 pm

[note written earlier today, i'm actually at a portguese wine bar eating amazing food and sipping some tasty wine while surfing]

This will be my final Ike note. Life has returned to a relatively normal state for me, aside from a lack of cable & internet (writing this at work), piles of laundry, and a mostly empty fridge. Buster has even gone back to being his usual feisty self. *laf* Local businesses are reopening, gas stations are less frantic, and the usual traffic is building back up on the freeways. :-P

However that's far from true for many others. I am fortunate to have a house that still stands, no injury, no relocation, no lasting impacts. Others have homes that were damaged or totaled, cars flooded and washed away, injured, evacuated still, or living on FEMA and charity and portable generators (if they're lucky).

I leave you with a final request. Please donate generously to help victims of Ike recover, in Texas, Lousiana, and even beyond (Ike's path went far and wide, causing flooding the in midwest and other impacts). Lists of possible charities can be found pretty easily, but here's a link or two for your convenience:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/side/6004619.html (scroll down for lists of where to donate or volunteer)
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... w&cpid=803

Restoredly Yours,
Peggy
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:50 am

How do you grade FEMA, Pegster?

Richard Keeney

hi

Postby Richard Keeney » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:10 pm

Well, Peg, here's my first "Hello." Jeepers, what a time you've had.

peace,
Rick

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:21 am

Hi Rick, no worries. I don't expect a personal greeting from each and every webderlander. *laf*

Frank - tough to grade them as I haven't required FEMA assistance. Watching from the outside, it's okay. I'd say they are doing a better job than in Katrina/Rita so they clearly learned a few lessons.

I'm sure there's some complaints and I've heard a tale or two of folks denied but nothing about people being forced to the streets. They had hotels already approved and waiting. There's been the occasional misinformation about the location/time of distribution pods (to get ice, water, etc.) - though that's as much by those reporting than from FEMA because a lot of local charities and churches are also doing the same thing - even local businesses have given away ice, food, water.

There was clearly prep work because they already had phone numbers working on Saturday after the storm and I believe pods were set up in a day or so - obviously had to assess *where* they could set up, access, power, etc. But I figure they knew they needed that with a city of 4 million.

They've also had the advantage that we didn't have nearly so much infrastructure and flooding in the main population area (just power outage); it's mostly the coastal areas that were flooded and they are only letting folks back in now to some areas. Can't really say how FEMA is doing there compared to town. Just not hearing a lot of horror stories.

I'm sure you can search chron.com (local paper) or just google for stuff and see what the reports are.
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

swp

Postby swp » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:02 am

Happy 29th birthday! (and she doesn't look a day over 25 folks :shock:)
swp

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:13 am

Why thank you! (Actually, it's tomorrow, but the festivities start tonight with a pig roast at one of my favorite local restaurants).

In human years I'm 42, but in hexadecimal I really am only 29!! 8) [/list]

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:42 am

I do know your birthday is tomorrow, darling, but I figured the hangover you get tonight might last through to Sunday, so I thought I would get my birthday wishes in early.

I will expect details on the wines you will be having tonight at a later time

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Today you are 29, but tomorrow you will be 2A.

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Sorry, I should have said I was turning 42 on Saturday. So I am currently 29 in Hex. Next year, 2A. Someday, the majors... :P

Return to “Webderlanders”