Alan Coil

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Alan Coil

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:44 pm

HAPPY F*****G BIRTHDAY TO ME.

This is my first post telling people about me. There may or may not be another. It's not something I live for.

Today is my 55th birthday. I am finally old and used up. No, I am not depressed. Those days are long behind me. I learned, somehow, how to cope a long time ago. But I am old.

I like animals more than humans. Animals will not betray you, although I did have a dog that once peed on my leg.

I am divorced for 5 years after bing married for 24. During that marriage, I had, at various times, 14 cats, 14 dogs, 1 horse, 1 donkey, a Guinea Pig, and 5 birds. I had 2 total donkeys, 7 total birds, and I can't even begin to count all the cats and dogs I had. The 14 number was how many I had all at once. Not counting puppies that were sold, I must have had 25 dogs and 20 cats over the years.

My favorite entertainment is comic books. Although I know I should, I seldom read novels. I started Chabon's Kavalier and Clay, but never finished it. I have a copy of American Gods that I never opened.

I also like music of most types (sorry, modern country, you just don't work for me; however, I love Shania Twain). I like movies, but find too many of them to be total caca. I will cry at the drop of a hat during a good movie. Some movies make me cry simply because they are so well made (The Quiet Man with John Wayne). I will watch a favorite movie time after time (Field of Dreams, A Leaque of Their Own, Dances With Wolves, Slap Shot).

And I like women. Boy, do I like women. All shapes, sizes, and ages. But I don't have one in my life right now. No time, nor patience to put up with somebody new in my life. I recently was told by a 25-year-old woman that she was looking for a 'silver fox'. If I were 35 or 40, I'd take her up on the offer, but I am old, crotchety, and set in my ways. Right now, I couldn't keep up with a younger woman if I wanted to.

I first met Harlan in the interview in The Comics Journal, and he has been a hero of mine ever since. I first met Harlan in person in Chicago the year (1996?) that he had his multiple bypass. He scared me when I first saw him up close. That was the first time in my life that I have ever seen somebody with that odd coloring that is typical of heart patients. I was frightened for his well being, but he has survived just fine, and I wouldn't be surprised if he survives another 12 years.

I read Ellison frequently. The most frequent is Shatterday, but only because I kept an old, beat up copy in my toolbox at work to read during lunch. That old copy helped keep my sanity while I worked at a factory job that was intellectually way below me, and the people there often morally way below me. I have never been surrounded by so many small-minded and bigoted people in my life.

Education wise, I have an Associates degree, which is basically just an award for getting halfway through college. That is one of the disappointments in my life, but life got in the way so many times. Had I been a more mature person in my 20s, I would have a Master's now, and be teaching today's youth in Mathematics. But maturity cam way late for me. Such is life.

And now you all know more than enough about me, so...

HAPPY F*****G BIRTHDAY TO ME!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:02 pm

Well, obviously, Happy F*cking Birthday, ALAN!!!!

(You don't look a day over 45...)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:13 pm

Happy BD Alan

You aren't old, you are just hitting your prime IMHO. Ya know who you are and what you do and do not want.

Despite what you may feel, those are very sexy atributes. At 41, I think I know a few things.
Life, love and all the chocolate you can eat

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Happy Birthday, Alan. 55 ain't the end of the world, I'm sure. I'll be there soon enough, but despite two hernia operations and a knee surgery, and having given up a lot of things I used to love to do (distance running, morris dancing), I don't feel old. Not yet.

Life will surprise you -- again -- my friend.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:10 am

Happy birthday from the future!

I shoulda got a master's degree, too, Alan. But better a late bloomer than forever a dim bulb.

D.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:44 am

Wonderful introduction.

I wonder if you aren't psychologically older than you should be. After all 55 is the new 25. You oughta have your head examined for turning down a 25 year old who wants you. Go see her again, I say. You find other reasons to turn each other down fine, but don't make yourself older than you are.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:53 am

Happy Belated Birthday to you Alan!

As a fellow comic book fan, let me say that Kavalier and Clay is an excellent read. I would encourage you to pick it up if you get a chance

Are you a Marvel or DC comics guy? I was focused on Marvel when I was younger, but have been pretty loyal to DC for some years now.

Have you read The Sinestro Wars run over in the Green Lantern books? If not, try to pick it up, as it was one of the best mini-series I have read in some time and what Infinite Crisis SHOULD have been.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:36 pm

Jan wrote:You oughta have your head examined for turning down a 25 year old who wants you.

Several years ago, I spoke with a 25-or-so-year old at work about what we were doing that weekend. She was taking her daughter out to visit the daughter's father. I told her I was going to the Detroit comic book convention where there would be in attendance several stars and actors from film and television. I named off several, including Larry Storch.

"Who's he?"

"He played the Corporal in F Troop."

"What's F Troop?"

First time I understood the term generation gap. You need to have at least some things in common to sustain a relationship.

Somebody once said that you have to cut your age in half, then add five to figure out the youngest person you should date. In my case, that would be 32, but I'm thinking more like 40 or 45 minimum. 60 or older would work if she was very rich. :wink:

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:52 pm

markabaddon wrote:Are you a Marvel or DC comics guy? I was focused on Marvel when I was younger, but have been pretty loyal to DC for some years now.

Have you read The Sinestro Wars run over in the Green Lantern books? If not, try to pick it up, as it was one of the best mini-series I have read in some time and what Infinite Crisis SHOULD have been.

I am truly a comics guy. I've been reading since before I was 5, so have been reading longer than most people I know have been alive.

I never saw a Marvel comic until I picked up Amazing Spider-Man #31 by Lee and Ditko. My world was changed. I read all kinds of comics back then, Dell, Harvey, DC, Marvel, Gold Key---whatever I could consume. I soon moved to all Marvel, because DC was a year or three behind Marvel in updating their writing style (I had no problem with any art back then---I loved them all).

Kirby continued to rock me into the 70s and 80s, and I was fortunate enough to then have a job that paid quite well, so I bought quite a few of the comics by other publishers in the 80s, such as First, Eclipse, Comico, Dark Horse, other independents, some of the B&W crap, too.

I am currently DC heavy, as I think Marvel is a fool, and I, too, do not suffer fools. The Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps Sinestro story was the best superhero story of last year. Even with all the good writers out there today, Geoff Johns is my favorite. He puts points in stories a year, sometimes two years, before it becomes needed.

An amazing stand alone 'comic' related to the Sinestro story is the Secret Files comic they did near the end of the story. There are characters created new for that book that might never get used. I was totally blown away by the amount of writing and art that was done for a book most people would just ignore because it was $4.99.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks, all, for the good words.

Now let's go do something else...like bash Hillary. :wink:

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:19 pm

Alan Coil wrote:"He played the Corporal in F Troop."

"What's F Troop?"

Heh. I hardly ever saw that show, because I grew up in a home that did not have television, yet I remember that his name was specifically Corporal Agarn (though I don't know the correct spelling).
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:23 pm

Alan Coil wrote:Somebody once said that you have to cut your age in half, then add five to figure out the youngest person you should date. In my case, that would be 32, but I'm thinking more like 40 or 45 minimum.

In my case, that would be a 29-year-old, but I haven't dated anybody that young in 18 years. My last serious girlfriend before I got married was 6-1/2 years older than I (and she was DEFINITELY too young for me), and my wife is 15 years older.

I love joshing attractive women who are 5-10 years older than me that they're "too young." Makes both of us feel good.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:18 am

David Loftus wrote:
Alan Coil wrote:"He played the Corporal in F Troop."

"What's F Troop?"

Heh. I hardly ever saw that show, because I grew up in a home that did not have television, yet I remember that his name was specifically Corporal Agarn (though I don't know the correct spelling).

I just looked it up.

Yes! Corporal Randolph Agarn!

Holy smoke! Forrest Tucker and Edward Everett ("Fractured Fairy Tales") Horton were in the cast, too! And get a load of Marilyn Tucker, the "Kissing Squaw"! Man, you can get a sense of how stupid the show had to have been just by looking at the cast list. . . .

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:28 pm

Oh, it was undoubtedly lame, but I watched it like clockwork.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:59 pm

Holy smoke! Forrest Tucker and Edward Everett ("Fractured Fairy Tales") Horton were in the cast, too! And get a load of Marilyn Tucker, the "Kissing Squaw"! Man, you can get a sense of how stupid the show had to have been just by looking at the cast list. . . .

OK David

I know what character Forrest Tucker played, but which one was Edward Everett.

I totally adored Fractured Fairy Tales, but I thought the narrators last was Horton.

Enlighten me please!

Lori

Return to “Webderlanders”