Mark Goldberg v2

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:58 pm

So here are the details on this job situation. I am finishing up a contract position at a company right now, it was supposed to be done today, but they extended it through Tuesday.

In the meantime, I have been trying like hell to find something else so that I do not have to go on unemployment and/or it affects my child support. So I had several rounds of interviews with the local utility company and everything looks and sounds positive. My last interview there was a few days ago, and they said they were uncertain if the next stage of the process would be another (4th) round of interviews or if they would extend an offer.

I leave that interview and receive a call from a consulting agency I work with about a contract to permanent hire position for a company called G & K Services that just landed in their laps. I have a quick phone screen, then they call back almost immediately and want to set up an interview. So yesterday I go in, they spend an hour grilling me and I get a call this morning that they want to extend me an offer but want me to start on Monday.

I am feeling a little presured on this, but tell them I will call them by this afternoon with an answer. The kinda sucky part is that I would have preferred an offer from Xcel (the utility company). I really liked the hiring manager at Xcel, as he and I really seemed to click much more than the one at G & K, but the job at G & K will be very challenging and fun. I am very excited and relieved that everything seems to have worked out.

Now if there would just be some resolution to that contempt of court motion against my ex (still no word from lawyer and I called this afternoon)

Thanks again to everyone for their support,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Richard Keeney

SATURDAY

Postby Richard Keeney » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:34 pm

hey man

good time at dreamhaven, bruh

that place is so full of cool stuff, Greg has obviously stocked up on Ellison titles.

R

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:31 am

Rick,

I had a lot of fun hanging out with you at Dreamhaven as well. Had an interesting idea about getting together again that I will be posting in the Pav in a few minutes.

My feelings is still hurt that I am inelgible for a napoleonic complex, though. Sniff, sniff..... :twisted:

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:32 am

Gotta say that it is weird to be busy at work again. I have not had a full day's worth of work in almost 18 months and I had forgotten how tiring it can be.

It also sucks that I can no longer spend the day surfing the net, posting here and in other places, but I knew the days of wine and roses woudl end soon.

So far so good at the new job, though. They seem to like the work I have done to date and there are couple of people I realy like, including the new Director who brings a ton of energy to the job, even if she does not know a damn thing about Compensation. Still trying to get a handle on the manager, who has some social issues it seems.

Off to see what I missed on the boards the past few days

Mark

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:01 pm

markabaddon wrote:Still trying to get a handle on the manager, who has some social issues it seems.
Mark

The most difficult part of your new job will be to try to figure out this manager.

Fear of being revealed to be incompetent?
Fear of being wrong?
Fear of being made to look inferior?
Fear of self?
Mentally disturbed?

Richard Keeney

mental managers

Postby Richard Keeney » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Man, oh, man; the inordinate amount of stories I can tell about bugfuck bosses. Multitudinous out-of-their-nut whack jobs, man.

Keep me posted on that one, M.

Rick

Reading THE TOMB by F. Paul Wilson. In preparation for his upcoming visit to Dreamhaven.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:10 pm

So I ain't been around much because of the new job and the Jewish High Holidays. They placed a firewall at work that took me a bit to get around. If this was a place I thought I would be staying at for a while, I would not chance it, but I have already come to the conclusion that this is not the place for me. Here is an example of why:

the Compensation Manager returned on Monday after being out last week. She arrives, goes into her office and shuts the door (her door is nearly always shut or she is not in there). We have a Comp team staff meeting at 11, I walk down with her and the assistant to the Comp department. I ask her how her vacation was, she says fine and nothing else.

In the meeting she mentions a project involving integrating the creation of new job codes with Staffing. I offer to help out and she says no rather abruptly. Later in the meeting she starts talking about a new online salary administration system and who would be a contact within IT. I ask if I should begin talking to that person about the project and she says no again even more forcefully, and states that this person is working on a critical project and could not be disturbed until November at the earliest.

When she asks me towards the end of the meeting if I have enough to do, I say sure, even though you know what the answer probably is because I was hesitant to give any other response.

Talked with one of the other people on the team about it today and she described the meeting as me being "totally shot down". She does not like working for this woman at all, but she has a matrixed reporting relationship into the Director of Comp, Benefits and HRIS, who is a really dynamic lady, so she is able to deal with things

On a project basis, even a long term project basis (4-12 months) I would be OK with working here but there is no way I would work for this manager on a permanent basis.

Do not get me wrong, I am very happy to have a job in these uncertain times, but I would like to be in a place where I could succeed and this ain't it. So I called a couple of places where I interviewed before I accepted this contract role, have kept my eyes open for other opportunities and will not accept a permanent job here even if one is offered.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Sounds like you're giving yourself sound advice Mark. Being RIF'd at XO, with only four months under my belt, came as a relief.

I'm much happier in my "back to the future" current role. Odd how things work themselves out in the long run.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:32 pm

The stories from both of you in your several moves demonstrate the longstanding reasons I've not joined in the ship-jumping games in our industry of the last few years, despite the rather tidy sums that could be made in the short term.

There's issues and problems no matter what your workplace, and if those of your current role are liveable, there's not a lot of advantage moving to an unknown situation unless circumstances demand it (as it did for you guys). And in my case, it's a big enough company that you can move positions if necessary after a couple of years.
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Peggy, too true, there is no such place as a perfect workplace. Just working at a stable place for a decent human being would be nice, and if there is an opportunity for growth, all the better. Right now I would just like a little stability in my life, which is one reason why the job at Xcel would be so enticing. Not like one of the largest utility companies in the US is going to be going out of business any time soon

On a more comical note, got a request from my ex for more money this month. Seems she cannot pay her bills and was hoping I could give her some cash. When I stopped laughing, I told her I would buy the kids their Halloween costumes and pay for haircuts, but that was it. The yiddish word of the day is chutzpah, my friends.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:53 pm

Hmmmmm.

I wonder if her lawyer's bill is one of the ones she can't pay.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:58 pm

In your shoes I admit that the morbid curiousity would get to me, and I'd be tempted to require, prior to any additional funds being provided, an accounting of the last 3 months income and expenses (with receipts/bills/statements) simply out of morbid curiousity about where the heck it's all going...
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:47 pm

Why, Miss Peggy, I do believe you have a devious streak in you.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:51 pm

Ya know, reading that post after the fact, I see things I wish I had done differently. One is use Ms. Instead on Miss, as Ms. seems more proper. And the other is just using Peg, as I now see that I may have been calling her Miss Piggy with but one typo, and I know the dumbest thing a man might do is insinuate that a woman is a pig.

Still learning from my mistakes even after all these years.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:53 am

I know that her lawyer had not received any payment when we were in court this summer (still cannot believe how long this is dragging out) so it is probably that he still has not been paid

Peg, if I ever had any intention of giving her additional money, I would request a full listing of her cash flow but since I will not be doing that, it really ain't none of my business.

Alan, trust me, I have talked to Peggy often enough to know that while she is a very sweet and nice person, there is a devilish streak in her

Return to “Webderlanders”