Mark Goldberg v2

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Mark Goldberg v2

Postby markabaddon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:33 pm

Since I have never posted a formal introduction and my life feels like I am going through a complete reboot right now, I figured I would create an official introduction.

My name is Mark Goldberg and I like pina coladas and walking in the rain.....um, sorry, that is the introduction I was writing for my bio on j-date.com.

I have been a fan of Harlan's for many years and have been posting on this board regularly for about 2 years now and visited it off and on for a while before that. My first exposure to Harlan cam via "Repent, Harlequin..." and, while I loved the story, I never picked up anything else of his for many years.

When I moved to the Twin Cities from the East Coast back in 1996, I got back into comics. I had been an avid collector through my teenage years but stopped when I started college, then grad school. What brought me back to comics was Neil Gaiman's Sandman and the introduction to one of the first collections I purchased was written by Harlan.

I remembered reading Repent and decided to read some more works of his. I sauntered over to Uncle Hugo's (one of the greatest bookstores in history) and picked up a used copy of, I believe Angry Candy although my memory is fuzzy on this point, and I was hooked.

My personal life is a bit of a mess right now, as my wife and I agreed to separate on 1/1 and not being able to see my kids all the time is the most painful thing I have ever experienced (and I am someone who had a multiple compound fracture of my forearm, so I know a little bit about pain)

I have to say that I think this board is a wonderful community. I have greatly enjoyed all of the discussions (even those with you, Frank) and it has been very fun to meet some of you in person.

For some reason, perhaps it is because I feel like I am reinventing myself right now, I felt the need to post this intro

Off to sign a lease on my new apartment (gonna be hard going back to an apartment from a house)

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Welcome to Webderland, Mr. G.

(Even though we know y'all quite well, it's nice you make a complete reboot.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:02 am

Hey Mark!

I'm three quarters into volume three of the Sandman - the cats-have-ruled-the-world story was really cool. That one should have won the award.

Writing introductions on dating websites is a science unto itself ;-) I think the key is to give as little information as possible. Only women know how to do that.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:16 am

Any tips that can be provided on intros on dating sites would be appreciated (not that I am looking to start dating until the divorce is finalized)

I think you will enjoy the rest of the Sandman series, Jan. My favorite collection is Fables and Reflections, the last story set in Baghdad is absolutely brilliant, drawn beautifully and the lettering is perfect for an Arabian tale.

Barber, since when did I acquire the moniker of Mr. G?
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:13 pm

markabaddon wrote:Any tips that can be provided on intros on dating sites would be appreciated (not that I am looking to start dating until the divorce is finalized)

I think you will enjoy the rest of the Sandman series, Jan. My favorite collection is Fables and Reflections, the last story set in Baghdad is absolutely brilliant, drawn beautifully and the lettering is perfect for an Arabian tale.

A formal welcome to a longtime chum, Mark.

Sorry to hear about the mess in your personal life. I'm as far from that now as it is possible to be, but I've been in a few scrapes in the past. (Oddly enough, last night I read most of Ingmar Bergman's screenplay for "Scenes From a Marriage," so I'm sort of imaginatively situated in that territory right now.)

As for writing an intro for a dating site, I would think the usual advice for good writing would apply: clear, concise, honest . . . and avoid cliches like the plague!
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:04 pm

I dunno, just seemed appropriate to give you a new moniker with the reboot. A friend of mine wrote a book called "Me and Mr. G" and it just caught my attention when I was posting.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:26 pm

If we do give me a new moniker, can it be something other than "Mr. G", makes me sound old and reminds me of Howard Cunningham for some reason.

Other nicknames that would be acceptable include the Jewish Stallion, Jewanova, TDH (tall, dark and handsome), any of these would be preferable......

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:41 pm

Got it.

Marky Mark it is.

(KKKKKKkkkiiiiiiddddddddddiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg!!!!!!!)

(Blame it on the drugs.)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:15 am

Your age is showing, Steven. I bet a large percentage of people on this board would not even remember Mark Wahlberg as Marky Mark.

Me: tall, skinny, dark curly haired Jew from Philly

Wahlberg: short, light brown haired, absolutely ripped Christian from Boston

Sure, I can see the connection... what drugs do they have you on anyway, must some powerful hallucinogens

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:00 pm

He was big in Europe, I loved "United".

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:03 pm

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:05 pm

We found a way to give Mark a hard time, in case he misbehaves (sorry for multiposting)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:09 pm

A lot of these woman have kids but won't tell you. Watch yourself in the cyberdating world, Mark. Take it from a guy who got burned bad. Met some crazies, lol.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:18 am

Jan, with the exception of some imbroglios with the now banned Mr. Martin, I believe I have always played nicely with others here. Keep up that Marky Mark stuff and that might change, though (kidding, don't really mind)

Franklin, any dating for me is a couple of months off at the earliest. One of the pieces of advice HE gave to me that I am truly taking to heart is to act in an impeccable manner until the divorce is finalized. Some of his other pieces of advice I did not heed and may end up paying the price for disregarding it.

Found out last night that my soon to be ex-wife does not think that joint custody means a 50/50 split of time, she wants to have more than that with my children. Mediation begins today, this could get very ugly.....

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:52 am

Good luck on your mediation. I have a very good friend who began having an affair before the divorce was finalized -- despite a number of her bestest buddies telling her to hold off until the ink was dry. They were sleeping in different rooms, and they had agreed to part "amicably". She didn't wait, and as a result her then-to-be-ex changed the dynamic from his abusive behavior (her reason for wanting out) to her infidelity. And it got uglier as he did everything in his power to make her grovel (the last of his abusiveness towards her). It gave him all the power in the courts, however, as he became the wronged partner.

Keeping yourself above reproach is admirable but also necessary.

Let us know as things progress.

Return to “Webderlanders”