A Hankie-Head Hullo

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Davey C

A Hankie-Head Hullo

Postby Davey C » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:37 pm

Hey ebbybuddy. My name's Davey, and I just stumbled into Webderland accidentally (knew about the main HE page for years, but never explored the link to the board, here).

I've been reading HE in on-and-off spurts since about the early seventies, when I noticed, as a prepubescent kid, that I always seemed to dig stories of his which appeared in the SF anthologies I was systematically devouring at the library. I got to shake hands with him & get a book signed when he gave an appearance at the University of Iowa about, say, ten or fifteen years ago. He interrupted his opening spiel to pick me out of the crowd & chide me for biting my nails -- which I don't do; I was trying to dislodge a chunk of lunch from between my teeth, but by the time I realised I was the one Getting Shit, the moment for a zippy comeback had gone (one of a number of regrets I'll take to the grave). At book-signing time, I fell into a stupid nervousness-camouflage pseudo-English accent which seemed to excite him, and he shooed me partway across the room to Susan with some mention of me being a Fellow Countryman or somesuch. Fortunately, the event seemed rather hurried by the end, and she graciously allowed me to escape with a couple of inarticulate noises and a shrug.

Not much of a big deal, I suppose, but to cop a line from Yellow Submarine, nuthin' ever 'appens t' me.
aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! My nipples!

-Bob Goldthwait

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:54 am

Welcome, Davey!

I've been surprised and delighted by the plethora of references to "Yellow Submarine" in these environs of late (mostly in the recent "great movie memories" thread in the Pavilion).

I missed that particular boat, but I watched YS nearly a dozen times on various large screens from Portland to Stoneham, Mass., to Hanau, Germany, before the advent of videos, and having recorded most of the soundtrack TWICE, I know pretty much all the dialogue by heart. . . .
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:16 am

Davey, you're a most welcome addition. Glad to have you here, and as Loftus states above cultural references to Yellow Sub get you immediate brownie points...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Davey C

MORRIS DANCING!!

Postby Davey C » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:06 pm

For no reason I can satisfactorily explicate even to myself, I've been on an almost completely exclusive Terry Pratchett binge for about the last three years, with only a few Wodehouse rescue-bingelets poking up like spent volcanic cones in a sea of Discworld. Here and there in the Discworld books, less-than-illuminating mention is made of Morris Dancing.

Wha (I ask you) dafuck is Morris Dancing?

-Bob Goldthwait

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:05 pm

Ya know, I went to this site:

http://www.morrisdancing.org/

... and I still don't have a clue.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:24 pm

I expect Mr. Loftus (whose webpage reminded me of that gap in my comprehensive understanding of the universe) will eventually bathe us in the congenial glow of Morris-drenched intelligence, or at least point out its direction with a hearty "Just fucking Google it!"

-Bob Goldthwait

paul

Postby paul » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:13 pm

Howdy Davey. NIce to see a new face. A brief inspection of archives and subsequent attention will show Mssrs. Barber and Loftus to be pillars of the community. Don't let the feral dawgs turn you everwhichaway. This is a nice group, fangs and faux pas and all.
Do you play saw? I grew up in Appalachia country and i have a fondness for the sound. Haunting and odd. At once ethereal and strange, like faces in the fog. Of course, i love the theremin, too. Welcome.
Be seeing you,
Paul
The medium is the message.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:57 pm

paul wrote:Don't let the feral dawgs turn you everwhichaway. This is a nice group, fangs and faux pas and all.

Its the foe paws you have to watch out fer.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:11 pm

Barber wrote:Ya know, I went to this site:

http://www.morrisdancing.org/

... and I still don't have a clue.

The estimable Rich Holmes -- whom it has never been my pleasure to meet, though I danced the morris for seven years in New England and may well have encountered him at an ale or three -- has a much better Web page for informational purposes:

http://web.syr.edu/~rsholmes/morris/

But in brief, morris is an English folk dance tradition that comes from a fairly small region of the English midlands, the Cotswolds. Its origins are still somewhat shrouded in mystery -- scholarly types argue about whether it's a true folk tradition that migrated from Brittany or Scandinavia or the Basque region, or bled down from the English court -- but by Shakespeare's time it was well established.

It's mentioned several times in the plays of the Bard and Ben Jonson, as well as many other places of the time. One of Shakespeare's actors, Will Kemp who specialized in the fool and clown roles, danced a morris jig from London to Norwich in nine days on a wager.

Morris almost died out at the close of the 19th century, but Cecil Sharp, a choral schoolmaster whose original interest was folk songs, began collecting the steps from those who still knew them, and it experienced renaissances during and after WW1 and especially in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Now there are well over a hundred teams or sides in the U.S. alone, as well as many dozens in Britain and isolated groups everywhere from Alaska and New Zealand to Hong Kong.

The distinctive features are bells on leather pads tied below the knees, handkerchiefs (waved in each hand) and less often wooden sticks or full-length staffs. The rest of the kit or costume may be more or less elaborate, with hanging colored ribbons, baldric (a sort of quasi-bandolier of ribbons and strings), armbands, hats, etc. Larger sides may have ritual figures along, such as a hobby horse (dragon, unicorn, lobster, etc.), a "betty" (man in a dress), and a fool.

Besides the books of Terry Pratchett, you may encounter references to morris in Black Adder (when the servant known as "Baldric" suggests in one of the earliest episodes that they could hire the morris dancers for the revels, BlackAdder says "Now look: we are not THAT desperate!"), and dancers make brief appearances in the opening sequence of "The Full Monty," at Oxford on May Day toward the end of "Borderlands," in "The Wicker Man" if memory serves, and in other discreet places.

paul

Postby paul » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:55 pm

David, i purposely didn't do that. I didn't want Davey thinking we were all deranged.
Now that i admitted it, i guess that blows my cover.

Nah, i'm lyin'. Never occurred to me. Bad, but good, mate.
=======
Steve, have you and Loftus considered going on the VH1 Pop Culture Quiz? Betwixt the two of you, i swear i've heard more minutiae and datum than one should expect in a far-flung corner of the web.
Sorry for hijacking your hello, Davey. Saw question still remains.
Paul

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:48 am

didn't want Davey thinking we were all deranged.

You say that like it's a BAD thing.

-Bob Goldthwait

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:15 am

Oh, and yes, I play the saw (or "acoustic theremin" as various wags would have it). I've loved that sound ever since the first time I saw The Singing Sword episode of Bugs Bunny when I was a bitty wee tirebiter. Back in 1990, I spotted an ad for Mussehl & Westphal's musical saws (http://www.musicalsaws.com/) in the back of Rolling Stone, and I somehow convinced my then-fiancée that that would make an awesome wedding present. I took it with me on our honeymoon and practiced with it to the significant-though-by-no-means-complete exclusion of more traditional activities.

So. I've spent the better part of a week on a lakeside balcony in Grand Rapids, Michigan, playing the musical saw naked in broad daylight, dripping hot tub suds and choking down vitamin E tablets, and y'all are worried about appearing deranged.

It is to laugh.

-Bob Goldthwait

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:14 pm

Davey C wrote:
didn't want Davey thinking we were all deranged.

You say that like it's a BAD thing.

de-ranged, adj., meaning "not, removed from, or no longer" at Home on the Range.

paul

Postby paul » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:12 pm

Strange. My OED (Obnoxious English Dictionary) has this:

de-ranged- adj.~ What happened to Martha Stewart.

Thanks for the new definition, David.

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:30 pm

A Quicktime video (sorry)(I hate Quicktime, but it's all I've got available at the moment) of the opening few bars of the William Tell Overture, rendered on my jaw, which cracks on both sides and in both directions: http://www.yahoodrummers.com/davey/images/WmTell.MOV

I'll try to remember to sneak my saw into my office this weekend & viddy myself playing Auld Lang Syne, in observance of the season y'unnerstand.

-Bob Goldthwait

Return to “Webderlanders”