Doug Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re: Doug Redux

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:46 am

FIRST PUBLICATION OF 2014:

My short story "Bobby Boxster In Eight Measures" was selected for the Washington City Paper's 2014 Fiction Issue.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/arti ... ssue-2014/

(And since I just found out today - 1/16 - that the Fiction Issue actually dropped on January 10, and the City Paper is a weekly, there's just one day left to snag one in DC. I asked the editor in December what the issue date was; he said 1/10. About a week and a half later, he sent an update and said the issue had been pushed back a week for space. Turns out he was talking about the issue date being pushed from 1/3 to 1/10, but in context - having never had the 1/3 date to begin with - I presumed 1/10 had become 1/17. Pity, because I was going to pimp the hell out of it. Now I'm scrambling to secure a few issues for friends and family.)

Two more publications are forthcoming in short order, already contracted. More to follow as they appear.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:27 pm

SECOND PUBLICATION OF 2014:

A couple years back, I wrote a story for a zombie animal anthology; the story got bounced, but it worked from a premise that I thought a neat take on zombies that approached the question of what happened to the wonderful mythic beasts of old. Two words: "Zombie victims." With three more tossed in for good measure: "on Noah's Ark."

And thus, "Ark of the Revenant" was born.

Of course, it was a very specific targeting of a story - this is often the peril of writing to sub to anthologies: what you wind up with is product that fits a very specific set of parameters that may not work outside that context, so if it gets rejected, you have a lot of effort for a story that can't really go anywhere.

Except.

Turns out there's a Christian genre publication, THE MIDNIGHT DINER - "a hardboiled genre anthology with a Christian slant." They took in my mythic beast zombies-on-the-ark tale, and it wound up being the first story I've sold that was the inspiration for a cover illustration.

It's only available for the Kindle (link below) - they were anthology-sized but have re-orged and gone down to short magazine length (48 pages), so no print at this time; they now plan to do an annual print anthology, so words-on-paper doesn't happen until then. You can see the cover and, if you're curious and have a Kindle, can purchase it at Amazon.com (The first two paragraphs of the story are in Amazon's preview.)

http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Diner-5- ... B00I55P3KE

IN RELATED NEWS:
Speaking of anthologies, a story I got to tell Steve about over dinner while in the greater Long Beach area around Christmas (a tale for an anthology about heroes in their golden years) has been accepted by the anthology's editor - no word on when that comes out, but if this year, it'll make four in the slate (so far) for 2014.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:18 pm

THIRD PUBLICATION OF 2014:

"Lorem Ipsum Donald" in Tales of the Unanticipated #31. TOTU is a great little magazine started by the Minnesota Science Fiction Society back in 1986. They gave me my first professional sale back in 2006 ("Mister Eddie" - Issue #27), and had me back in 2010 ("Tacklesmooches" - Issue #30), so this is a hat trick. They're coming off long hiatus - they accepted "Lorem" back in 2009 - and it's nice to see it arrive after a long orbit.

No sales link yet - while they used to do direct sale through their website, they no longer appear to be.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:03 pm

You're on a role, Doug! This s terrific news all the way around.

BTW - Arrived home to find your chapbook on the ottoman/table in the family room. Looks like the Chicksinger was reading while I was gone!

Just sayin'.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:49 am

Steve - it's on track to be more published than the year before, which is the goal. :)

One more log on the fire: had coffee with the editor of a magazine published here in Houston (quarterly, Texas-centric, focused on gulf coast food/culture/heritage) Friday morning; we discussed the theme of the next issue, and he offered me their slot for a spec lit short story befitting said theme for their next issue. My deadline is May 10. Granted, I've known the guy since before I moved down here, and we're fairly up-to-date on each other's respective work; but he was also for many years an editor for one of the large publishing houses, and this magazine is his labor of love, so this is anything but a free skate.

And if Cris did give the chapbook a read, I hope she enjoyed it.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:00 am

Break a pen, Doug.

D.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed May 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Just turned in the aforementioned spec lit story. I have NO idea how close I've hit the editor's expected target (the subject matter latitude I was given was wildly broad), but what he received was a spec lit western about criminality and honor in a time of severe near-future drought titled "The Last Ride of The Hole In The Well Gang".

I may revisit this as a long-form work down the line. My word limit was 3,000; on top of that, I had an additional, different 3,000 word piece of the story that was a defining afternoon of the main character's backstory (which was a stand-alone story of its own); and about 2,500 words of trims, in some cases whole scenes that added depth and additional conflict for the antagonist that had nice texture and flow, but simply weren't necessary to the absolute core of the protagonist's story. Between that and the copious notes and overall possible scope of the subject matter - along with characters that I think would be fun to explore who wound up distilled down to essences - I think I have enough material to make a go at something novel-length. If I wanted to give it a run. Dunno. The mystery really wants me to come back to it. But for the moment, I can stop and enjoy not being in Hard Edit mode for a night and have dinner out with my beautiful bride where I'm not doing in-brain rewrites on something.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:18 pm

"The Last Ride of the Hole-In-The-Well Gang" will be out in SUGAR & RICE #3 a couple of weeks. Saw the final layouts last week; they've paired it with some gorgeous photos of drought effects in West Texas. Looking forward to this one. Anyone interested in supporting a great small-press magazine from the Gulf Coast by buying the issue, details will be up next week at my sadly-underutilized website (douglasjlane.com).

Almost through the second pass on my first mystery novel. About 80 pages of editing/rewrites to go on this round. Then it will sit for a few weeks before I read and tune, and then I find a couple of readers, hopefully before the first of the year.

Short stories are piling up rejections. They're just going to need to get in line.

And on that note, with my nephew's wedding this weekend and about forty-three other things to be done between now and my father-in-law's visit for Thanksgiving, including productive writing and trying to jump-starting the blog, I'm taking a Webder-sabbatical. See y'all some time in December.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:30 am

FinderDoug wrote:"The Last Ride of the Hole-In-The-Well Gang" will be out in SUGAR & RICE #3 a couple of weeks. Saw the final layouts last week; they've paired it with some gorgeous photos of drought effects in West Texas. Looking forward to this one. Anyone interested in supporting a great small-press magazine from the Gulf Coast by buying the issue, details will be up next week at my sadly-underutilized website (douglasjlane.com).

You know I'll buy it. (Gonna buy Mark's book, too, finally.)

D.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:45 am

I'm always looking forward to my next Doug Lane story. Keep it all up.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:01 pm

The plan was a sabbatical.

The plan has changed.

This is due to a combination of personal factors and emotional elements stemming from my weekend in New York. I'm fine. Peggy's fine. There are other things going on that aren't. Put bluntly, I need the distraction of patter with my friends. And for now, as Forrest Gump says, "That's all I have to say about that."

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:36 pm

FinderDoug wrote:The plan was a sabbatical.

The plan has changed.

This is due to a combination of personal factors and emotional elements stemming from my weekend in New York. I'm fine. Peggy's fine. There are other things going on that aren't. Put bluntly, I need the distraction of patter with my friends. And for now, as Forrest Gump says, "That's all I have to say about that."

Wait. You need a distraction of patter, but that's all you have to say about it???

Seems to me the patter gonna be a tetch one-sided.

But happy to oblige.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Sugar & Rice #3 is out now. Issue is available online - http://shop.treadsack.com/products/suga ... ag-issue-3

Though a Gulf Coast centric magazine, with wide distribution in Houston/Austin, It's also available in the following specific retail outlets in other parts of the country: Oui Presse in Portland, Quimby's in Chicago, Book Larder in Seattle, and Around The World in New York, NY.

Managed website updates today; also hard-copied the second draft of the mystery novel (~60,000 words).

In unrelated news, my mother is home after five days in the hospital (owing to her inability to breathe). Complications from her COPD, though her blood is also doing a piss-poor job of maintaining an O2 level, so she's on oxygen full time now. There may also have been fluid around her heart/lungs, but after the initial mention of congestive heart failure, that diagnosis went away. Hopefully with the doctor who insisted (despite all evidence to the contrary) that she'd had a heart attack. (She got three independent diagnoses; Doctor Heart Attack was the odd-man out.) So I've been... prickly since seeing her while up north for my nephew's wedding. And throwing myself into my to-do list. Because being 1,800 miles away from the clan at this point in time is a big fucking pain in the ass. On the scale of 1 to "Utterly helpless, thanks", I'm burying the needle. So I might as well rebuild rotten steps and get the guest bedroom ship-shape for my father-in-law's turkey-day visit, 'cause right now while I'd rather play Penuchle, Crazy Eights is the only game in town.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:55 am

Oh, man. I'm sorry for you and your family, Doug. I know you'll keep heart.

D.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:20 am

Doug
That seriously sucks on several fronts. The misdiagnosis is the wrist of the lot, of course, but being away from home at this sort of time is doubly difficult. Not having your support vase at exactly the time you need it is rough.

Do your best to remain upright, and bear in mind the importance, relatively, of each annoying element: will this make a difference to me a week from now? A month? A year? A decade?

Then act accordingly.

It helps me keep my head on straight during the most difficult times.

We're here, and you have my phone number should you need to talk.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “Webderlanders”