Doug Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re: Doug Redux

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:08 am

A few scatter-shot bits while I should be working...

THE WEDDING - The weather was looking dicey; we'd had afternoon rain every day from Wednesday - Friday, and more was predicted for Saturday; As it played out, the rain traveled southwardly to the west, missed us completely. We had high, light clouds and a slight sprinkle of rain for the ceremony. Then the sun came out. Then we had a rainbow over the ocean. The offshore breeze came in for the reception, and as it closed out, we had heat lightning in the clouds to the west. Quite the weather show, but none of it was more spectacular than when my bride came over the dune to a little snippet of The Imperial March, which gave way to the theme from The Princess Bride. Additional musical flourishes included The Great Pumpkin Waltz, Harry Belafonte's "Jump In The Line" and the Buckaroo Banzai March (and you will know them by the color of their geek...) Aside from a little more time than we would have cared for on photos, it was exactly what we wanted.

THE ROADTRIP - We crossed the state on the Wednesday before the wedding - 9 hours roundtrip by car - to call on Cigar City Brewing (seriously good craft beer that's only available in Florida - they used to distribute, but couldn't keep up with demand, so scaled back to just Florida; we featured two of their beers at the reception) and to dine at Bern's Steak House. if you are a wine enthusiast, Bern's is notable for having a) one of the deepest cellars in the US; and b) selling the wine for what the owner paid for it, plus the restaurant markup (versus the current going market value.) This makes for some very, very nice opportunities to try older vintages at a reasonable price. (The 1966 Riesling was very tasty.)

THE CHAPBOOK - I've decided that catharsis and remembrance pair well; so I'm compiling a chapbook for the holidays for the family consisting of an unpublished baseball fantasy short story - "The Shaman In Relief" - and a memoir around the day in 1978 - October 6, as it happens - that my father pulled ten-year-old me out of school to go to Yankee Stadium for Game Three of the 1978 American League Championship Series. He almost never took off work to do anything recreational - I was 15 before we had our first family vacation - so that he did on that day, and that he shared that day with me, and that the Yankees came back to win (in a season where they'd been written off in July as also-rans) has always been kept close at heart; Baseball was the most common language my father and I spoke (yeah, yeah, CITY SLICKERS made the notion cliche, but it holds anyway), so it feels appropriate to gather two loose baseball bits with an introduction that ties them tight, and to pass that along to the other people that knew and loved him. That's the plan, anyway. Also makes a good dry run for doing such things for sell-through in the future.

THE BIRTHDAY - Tomorrow is my wife's birthday. I'm at DefCon 1 with catch-up planning. I'm only now getting to the annual photo album recap of the year's travels and events, and that was supposed to be done in July. No gift. No cards. No poetry to go IN the cards. No ingredients for the meal I'm making. 32 hours to make it all happen.

I guess it's a good thing I'm damned magical in the final 100m, huh? :D

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Rang out 2012 with an ultrasound and blood work, and with appointments to set with a gastroenterologist and a urologist, compliments of a lesion on my liver, and a stone and a cyst on the respective right and left kidneys.

But my gall bladder has been ruled out as the recent abdominal pain culprit, and my pancreas is unremarkable. I suppose part of me had to be.

And my company got acquired just before Christmas; on the plus side, I should have a job (and medical coverage) at least through the beginning of March; there will be a gap, however, before I can be added to my spouse's health insurance if I get sent packing. Did I mention I can't drink (doctor's orders) until they figure out my issue?

Le Sigh.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:57 am

Yeech. Good luck with everything Doug. Not a pleasant situation in which to find oneself.

I could put in a few feelers at VZ there in Houston...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:52 am

I could put in a few feelers at VZ there in Houston...

Most gracious an offer, sir, and I'll bear that in mind when we get a better feel for what's what. My goal at the moment is to finish paying down as much outstanding debt as possible while riding out the transition period, and seeing where I am in March. As the company is going to be a wholly-owned subsidiary (as far as it looks right now,) I may simply have employment continuity with my current mid-level overseers.

Frankly, I'm trying to find a way to dig the irony of not using much of my health care for the ten years I've been in my job, and as soon as I start a major smackdown, BAM - Kobayashi Maru.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 pm

And I'm certain your insurance company reset the clock yesterday morning at 12:01am. Meaning you get a whole new year's deductible with which to start.

(We get that, too. Cris has cataracts and will need surgery in two months, and I have a recurrent hernia that is making itself annoying.)

Keep us posted.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Doug,

Here's hopping that the new year and the new bride both treat you gently once you get this current crop of problems dealt with!

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:58 am

Doug, we keep you and Peg in my heart and thoughts.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 am

After much poking, prodding and being handed around, the verdict appears to be... I'm fat.

Sure, the hemangioma is bigger (up to 3.6 cm at its widest spot), and there's a non-obstructing kidney stone waiting to drop at some future, unknown, most-inconvenient time, but the source of the abdominal pain appears to be internalized stress. (Most recent flare up noted? Writing an email to my stepmother.) Which I suppose isn't unreasonable. From July to November was non-stop; international travel is a great deal of fun, but not without its stressors; dad was diagnosed and died within a month's span, while planning and executing a wedding, waiting for word to come down on our corporate acquisition and my employment future, while patting my head and rubbing my belly. Which brings us back to...

Fat. Which wasn't a news flash - I even knew the liver was previously diagnosed as fatty, figured the cholesterol would be high given changes in diet and the holiday gauntlet, so the only surprise is a lack of a surprise. On the plus side, it's all still very treatable without medication and with exercise and better diet and a tweak of supplements.

Meanwhile: heart, lungs, gall bladder, pancreas - all fine. So I'm going to bike at lunch because the sun came out and my liver will thank me for it.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:34 am

And now for something completely different... we finally got around to having pictures framed and to actually hanging them on the walls (after two years, it's all starting to come together...) The hanging effort is almost done, but it's especially gratifying to get some of these items on the wall. The Dillons' "The Deathbird" lithograph has never been properly mounted before, nor the Gaiman broadside; and the rest form an eclectic mix of local, mostly unknown artists, collected during our travels (I'm especially proud of the salvation of the signed/limited piece (not sure if it's a lithograph or engraving) that my company tossed next to the dumpster several years ago after our move to the new office - a broad line art illustration of a harbor, location unknown, with a couple of two-masted ships (but contemporary vehicles in the background, on the waterfront - suggests Annapolis, but there's no state house to be seen - just a church steeple) - well-executed, that was headed to the landfill for no good reason. Hangs in my office. Take that, corporate America.)

Peggy persuaded me when we were doing the framing to have the graphics company assemble a piece around my story in MACHINE OF DEATH for the library (including the original artwork for the story (which Kelly Tindall sent to me), the letter he included with the art, and five pieces of the ephemera the publishers put out.) I tend to be a little twitchy about big, flashy self-display, but it turned out really nice, and sits above the shelf where the pubs I've appeared are collected. On the same wall are three autographed bits - a program from Jim Lovell's appearance at Columbia Greene Community College (where my father got me in to meet the man before his lecture); Ray Bradbury's siggy on a copy of an illustration from one of his poetry collections; and a photo of me and Bernie with Harlan from 1994, when he received his six pack of the Original Idea, which would be the day I met Harlan (and Barney and Tim, for that matter, if memory serves.)

It makes for a feel-good wall. :)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Been quiet-ish lately. In part, from a growing disgruntled-ness with the swinging dickishness of the Internet, but largely because of a two-week vacation to the Pacific Northwest. Plans for a meet up with David Loftus and his missus this evening, and prospectively with other Webderfolken tomorrow. Fighting the unhappiness of the looming anniversary of my father's passing - holy fuck, has it been a year already? - with a flood of plays, some fabbo wine tastings, California redwoods and some open road; and looking ahead to my first anniversary, to the holidays, to completing the next project. Right now? Sitting at the bar of Hair of the Dog brewery's tap house on Yamhill in Portland, comfortably numb, enjoying my time with my honey, unplugged, exploring, happy.

By the by, just in passing, I'm a lucky man - and the proof is sitting on the stool beside mine, wearing my ring. Seriously. everything that ever went wrong relationship-wise was because I was supposed to be with her. Best. Alignment. Ever.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:03 am

Doug I would like your post if only I HAD the right buttpn.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Happiness is sending a copy of one's book to a reader in Athens, Greece.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:55 pm

FinderDoug wrote:Happiness is sending a copy of one's book to a reader in Athens, Greece.

Total coolness Doug. Is that the farthest point away from home your writing has gone?

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Actually, I'm getting around. By far, MACHINE OF DEATH has been my international ride: it's now been translated into Spanish, French, Italian, German, Hebrew and Japanese (with allegations of Croatian and Korean versions in the wings.) We purchased my copy of the Italian translation in a train station in Rome on vacation last year, which was an absolute gas; and my sole fan letter to date is from a girl who read the German edition of MOD and chose to email me.

There was also an unauthorized partial translation of a screenplay I co-wrote, on a Chinese website. Discovering that existed was kinda trippy.

I suppose "internationally published" is true, in any event. :)

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Note to self: Do what you can to make one Douglas Lane as famous as he can get. Then add meeting him to the bucket list.

Return to “Webderlanders”