Doug Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Re: Doug Redux

Postby markabaddon » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 am

Doug, hope everything goes well on the move, please post a note when you have settled in.

All the best to you and Peggy,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Mark - will do.

It's been an interesting writerly week with the publication of the Machine of Death anthology; as the day closes, the book is still in Amazon's top ten best seller list; it was number one on Tuesday (thanks to an orchestrated Machine of Death purchase day campaign), besting Keith Richards' bio and Glenn Beck's new book (which Glenn used as a talking point on his show Wednesday as part of his example of the left's 'culture of death'. Whatever, Glenn. In any event, my first anthology appearance is a bona fide best seller!

Truck and movers have most of my stuff on its way to Tejas. Part of car loading is tonight, the balance in the morning. Zero hour: 8 am. I have to pass Wegmans on my way out, thus might be 9 am. :)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:59 pm

And then, thirty-odd days later, there has been much unpacking and arranging of our things. There were two days of rain that stranded my baby's Miata in the parking spot beside the driveway for three days. And the gas leak, which resulted in a night without gas (and thus without cooking on the stove, hot water, etc, though the heat is electric), with the old radiator spigots getting capped. And the power junction box being flagged by the code inspector for being not up to code. And the discovery that psycho renovation guy - who kinda freaked out and simply left one day with some tasks half-or-not completed - tossed a bunch of his stuff up in the attic rather than dispose of or move it. And the false alarm from the house system triggered, apparently, by the cat while we were on the way to the airport (though we're at a loss at to how he did it, since his entire life is outside the effective view of what was triggered.)

ALL THAT SAID, there was a very good visit by Peggy's dad for thanksgiving, and a wonderful meal that was two days of prep and several days of eat; there've been social events, farmers markets, getting to know the new neighborhood, yardwork, and generally settling into a new life routine, with some minor settling in adjustments (to be expected).

There are still large questions. How do we do CD storage? When will the carport be done? What pictures are going where? How are we handling the consolidation of books (including a substantial Ellisonian duplication)? What are we doing with the back room to balance my office with that big space next to it? What else are we hanging in the library besides that bitchin' Neil Gaiman broadside baby bought at Madcon and my signed Dillon lithograph of the cover for "The Deathbird"? And that's just free-form off the top of my head.

Meanwhile, I sold the foreign rights to my Machine of Death story, clearing the way for my tale from the book to appear in any foreign editions that might come out of it; and one of three tales I have in the forthcoming Seasons In The Abyss anthology took top prize for the "Spring" section (which apparently comes with an interview for the Blood Bound Books website). So November proved to be a very good writing month, which I hope spills over into December. I AM writing again, some tuning of the chunk of novel I've been playing with, plus a coupe of shorter pieces to get some subs moving. I do have a couple of stories ready to be set aside that I might do as a chapbook at some point. Dunno. Always in motion, the future is.

Anyway - off to do dishes. Forward the Foundation, kids!

Lori, dahlink - you should be getting mail on Saturday, as a writing-related aside.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:12 am

Quick VA/NY swing to visit family and friends on my way to Christmas came off with a little luck (missed all the bad weather with just one short 15 minute delay) and I'm back in Houston for the countdown to Christmas. Got an airport pick-up by my honey, and got home to find Christmas lights already porch-strung by my honey as a surprise, along with quite a bit of interior decoration (we're hoping to do the druid bit with the tree this week) and a fabulous beef stew in the making for dinner. That noise you heard was my sigh of complete enchantment.

Lori - did the postman steal your parcel? Do I have to go down to the USPS with the boots and the bat? Let me know - they're spoiling for a fight!

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Douglas

Not only did I revieve the book, but it took me less than 24 hours to read just about cover to cover.

Now, here's a question for you. I loved your story, and understand that a lot of stuff had to be left out for lenght reasons. But, I would LOVE to know how Tommy and Beth came to be the people you introduced to us. Ever think about doing a prequel? Or maybe letting someone else write it? And before ya ask I'm not volunteering!

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:41 pm

While I'm thinkin about it, I'm tryin to get my Daddy to write ACME a check for both the book and the postage! You are an artist at heart, I don't want you to be a starving one!

If he won't do that, I'll have a money order headed your way after the first of the year.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:33 am

Lori - Aside from the bits of their stories that they related to me - Tommy about his brother, Barb about her father - they didn't offer many specifics on how their lives twisted and turned to lead them from personal tragedy to becoming college activist revolutionaries.

There's a lot that provided fuel for their shadings and unwritten back story - CSN&Y's "Ohio" and the Kent State massacre were never far from mind, nor was Tienanmen Square; nor was a non-violent sit-in back at SUNY Binghamton during my time there and something Unca Harlan said in DWST during an interview bit from the early eighties about the low hum and heavy drinking on college campuses post-Nixon. it all went into the hopper and got spun, and from it emerged these two characters whose lives were touched in different-yet-similar ways by the Machine, and who came away from those encounters both changed and desiring change. What that journey entailed? I imagine late-night bullshit sessions in dorms over empty kegs, weighing the merits and terrors of knowing one's fate and doing that theoretical 'how do you get around the knowledge?' discussions; encounters with people both pro- and anti- machine; grappling with the feeling of whether anyone could (or should) change the system, and the power of the individual to take a stand and whether it can mean anything in the end.

("You sound like Captain Kirk trying to convince pirate Spock to overthrow the empire," Tommy said. "Which is kind of funny when you consider Kirk's reading would have been 'falling off a rock in the future'.")

They just DO that in my head...

Anyway, no - hadn't considered a prequel - though I have a companion story of sorts that I've been considering writing for my own amusement, maybe to pair up with the first tale as an exclusive chapbook through my still non-existent web site at some future point. There's a lot on my writing plate at the moment, but the new story churns and whirrs in the background, doing its thing. With a dozen others.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm working my way through the book now; really impressed with not just the stories/art so far, but also how seamlessly the stories fit into a common framework for the universe imagined. The writers really got a common bead on the social fractures such a thing could cause and how people would react/respond. It really is a sharp project that I'm happy to have been a part of.

Tell you what - the copies I laid in were $9.87 a pop (I struck when the Amazon buy price was at full discount); I'll take a flat $10, and you can enjoy almost-free postage for the holidays (.13 cents - you're not superstitious, right?) No rush on reimbursement - when you have it. I'm probably good to not starve for a while. :)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:32 am

I have a new short-short horror bit - "Physicians' Ball" - up at http://www.purefrancis.org. It went up on Sunday and I completely forgot it was going to be this week that it sat on the front page. Fair warning given: it's dark and morbid and has been deemed "disturbing" by at least one reader, so if you're not in a happy place, it's not likely to be a fuzzy bunny that will uplift your day (just don't want anyone to be more unhappy afterwards from taking it in.)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm getting married in 45 days.

Seeing as I really, truly had given up believing this would happen approximately 5 years ago, I'm a little flabbergasted at the news. I still recall my conversation, pre-class at the Starbucks in Georgetown that's now Georgetown Cupcakes (the Sbux destroyed in a water main break under the place) with my Pearl Project instructors, Asra Nomani and Barbara Feinman Todd, in which I said I was throwing in the towel. Done. I sucked at relationships, and I was through.

Yeah. They didn't buy it either. But I've never claimed I was the smartest guy in any room I'm in.

The stress headache I'm in the middle of is, I suspect, related to the whole host of things on the plate: wedding planning, honeymoon planning, trip planning for two weddings at the beginning of September, the fact that there's a very real possibility my job is going away before I get married (oh, Universe - you scamp), house issues, sleep issues, general aches and pains. Should probably drag my happy tuchas to a doctor for a physical. Admittedly, a lot of first-world problems. I have neither room nor right to complain. In spite of all of that *points up* I'm stupidly happy. :)

In other notes, "One Man's Famine" was just reprinted in Bardic Tales and Sage Advice, Vol. IV last week - my first reprint (of my first award winner!); three stories are in the publication pipeline ("The Trapdoor", "Lorem Ipsum Donald" and "Assassinated By Oswald"); and the subs keep going out ("The Sinking Tomb", "Ark of the Revenant", "Linus On The Savannah" and "The Carnivore Trust" circulating now; "The Shaman In Relief", "Coffin Dance" and a couple others in various stages of composition to follow.) Work on the first draft of the novel is ongoing. I'll admit, with everything else going on, the focus to write is a challenge. Apparently, I can find the zone - Peggy had to tap me to get my attention the other night because I was deep in my own syntax, and she noted I seemed very involved. It's soothing in its way to detach into a world where I'm not fretting if Mom will actually attend and figuring the logistics of getting from point A to B and sweating having all the variables align and wondering whether or not I get dumped to the curb in the current job climate. And vows. I need to write vows. Know what happens when you're the writer in the family and you're writing your own vows? SCRUTINY.

But right now: Advil, and drawn blinds, and Jobim on iTunes and 90 more minutes playing with spreadsheets before housework.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:06 pm

You know he wears a frilly housecoat.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Doug, if it hadn't been for Frank's comment I would've missed your post.

Right in there with you at the moment. We're off on a road trip Monday -- our house being defended by a houseguest who is staying with us as she searches for a condo to buy (noted for lurkers who might think to track us down) -- and I'm suffering a really massive headache as the company took their typical last ounce of flesh before letting me out the door. Well, not entirely true. I will have several conversations this weekend, and have calls next week. As we say, "you're not on vacation, you're working remotely".

But headed for Napa and Willamette with a pair of Aussie wine connoisseurs who don't believe California is a major wine region. (Evidently we don't export down under.) Should be interesting.

The days leading up to the wedding will fly by, and the service itself will flash in an instant. Enjoy, absorb, and most importantly rehearse the phrase "what do you think?" for the next month and a half.

(And yes, I'm perfectly aware Peggy lurks...)

:wink:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:54 pm

Fortunately, Frank's comments are back to automatically screened out, so I don't have to suffer whatever impertinence he felt the need to blurt unless I choose to click and reveal it. In my thread, at least, I feel no need to suffer his foolishness.

We're off to weddings starting next Friday, on consecutive weekends; starting in Northern VA and winding our way to upstate NY, along with dinner with Keith and his new bride and other potential visits along the way, plus grabbing beers that currently can be purchased in Texas. It'll be a nice break. Some new BS broke on the shoreline today, completely unrelated to everything else on the plate, and frankly, I'm like that kid in the Far Side cartoon who's raised his hand because his head is full.

And my honey hasn't popped in in some time; busy busy, plus I supply 411 as needed. Tag-teaming, or something like it.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:06 pm

If you follow me on Facebook, you already know much of this.

I buried my father today. He was 67. He had a very short bout with small cell sarcoma, which appears to have started in his lung and spread to his liver. His liver failed on Sunday morning, and he passed away Sunday evening.

I was in town for my sister's wedding (which was scheduled for Sunday and was held, at my father's insistence), so I got to see him Friday, when he was admitted to the hospital after his biopsy results came in, and Saturday. He was himself to the end, joking, talking baseball, apologizing for not being able to make my wedding in October. All told, from initial diagnosis to his passing was a shade over three weeks.

He was in law enforcement for 33 years; today's procession from the funeral home to the cemetery was accompanied by the New York State Police, sheriff department vehicles from Albany and Greene counties, and local police from Cairo, Durham and Catskill. It was a hell of a send-off. He'd have been embarrassed to be the center of so much attention.

I didn't realize until I dropped the rental car an hour ago that I've been running on adrenaline. I vacillate between feeling like I've been scooped out every time I think of him never being there again to talk to or laugh with or go to the ballpark with, and smiling because he was simply a joy, a wonder, a man who touched so many lives, who was good to his fellow man, was a great cop and father and family man.

I love my dad. Before the end, I got to tell him. He got to tell me back. That's a balm you wouldn't believe.

And I'm getting married in 22 days. It won't be the same without him there.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:53 pm

FinderDoug I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad your Dad didn't suffer too long. My Mom went quick and I got to be with her and I was glad for that.

I know your wedding will be bittersweet but you have someone to love and make a life with and that's what we have.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:35 am

FinderDoug wrote:I vacillate between feeling like I've been scooped out every time I think of him never being there again to talk to or laugh with or go to the ballpark with, and smiling because he was simply a joy, a wonder, a man who touched so many lives, who was good to his fellow man, was a great cop and father and family man.

I love my dad. Before the end, I got to tell him. He got to tell me back. That's a balm you wouldn't believe.

And I'm getting married in 22 days. It won't be the same without him there.

Doug -- As I may have mentioned, Cris lost both her parents a little over a decade ago. Fortunately, she was able to spend solid time with both of them and we made sure they knew how much they were loved and appreciated. We were overseas at the time her father passed, so were unable to be at his bedside when it happened, so in that you are fortunate.

Wish we could be with you on your wedding day. You and Peg are great people and deserve the joy I know you'll have together. If you chose to believe it, your Dad will be smiling down upon you. If not, you have the comfort that he knew and appreciated Peggy, and got the chance to celebrate your impending marriage right along with you.

Our deepest condolences.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “Webderlanders”