Doug Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Doug Redux

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:23 pm

I'm baaaaaaaaack!

Had to go find myself.

I was successful. :D Even made my first pro fiction sale while I was off in the sunshine (more on that in a seperate post).

And so I amble in to see what's what and who's who. If you knew me when, let me say I've missed ya. If you didn't, I'm an old yellow & black board holdover whose shelves groan under the weight of Harlan's books (not to mention everyone else's), and who does appearances when possible to catch up with Da Man and the lovely Susan. Ask me about the Original Idea cans some time... but not tonight - I have a wicked headache.
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." -- Anton Chekhov

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:55 am

Hi, FinderDoug,
I'm glad you found yourself. After all, a self is a terrible thing to lose.
Congratulations on your first PRO FICTION SALE!!!!! WOO HOO!!!! :D
I'm a newbie, easy to find, just read my posts and you'll get a pretty accurate picture of me. (Besides my avatar, which is a spitting image (at least, pre shave).)
Cheers, looking forward to meeting you on the boards, :)
Gwyneth M 905

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:41 am

Hey, Doug. Welcome back.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:03 am

If ever there were a Doug capable of finding himself, it would be you.

Welcome back. You've missed nothing. Nothing at all.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:51 am

Hello Doug, good to see you back and congrats on the sale. I will be in the Richmond area around Christmas visiting my in-laws and talked about possibly going to see Keith and Crystal. Let me know if you will be around and perhaps we could all meet up someplace

Mark Goldberg
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

paul

Postby paul » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:36 am

Congratulations on the pro sale! Can you enlighten us as to title, etc.?
The medium is the message.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:31 am

Welcome back, guy!

I look forward to our next slice o' pizza across the street from Powell's Books.

Or any commestible or liquid refreshment, anywhere.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:00 pm

You still sore at me Doug? You missed some good dustups.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Gwyneth - Howdy! I've been reading along from the sidelines. Your avatar looks like my mom's lab/newfie mix. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH OUR DOG??? :-P And thanks!

Jay - Nice to see you in the schoolyard too, amigo.

Steve - Believe me, it's a lot harder than it looks... and it's nice to be back.

Mark - If I'm in town, I'm up for a meet-n-greet; Christmas is still up in the air, and I typically head home to NY to remind the family I still draw breath, but we'll see what shakes out. And thanks!

Paul - Putting a post in the The Moving Finger before I drop off tonight with some specifics. And thanks!

David - Thankee! Should I get back that way, I'll be sure to give you a heads-up. Likewise, if you rumble DC ways (not sure why sane people would, but you never know), give me a ping.

Frankie - Nah. Life's too short. You're a thirty foot tall poke in the ribs, and sometimes you need your ear flicked to remind you you're gettin' out of hand, is all. We had a dog like that. Once. (looks suspiciously at Gwyneth again). And you should know by now, I'm not the dustup kind... mostly.
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." -- Anton Chekhov

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu May 01, 2008 5:28 am

He lives. He breathes. He got a story accepted by "Tales of the Unanticipated" this week, for publication in 2009. That's three, THREE lines of bibliography, hah hah hah. He'd have more to say, but at the moment, he's hip-deep in work and in the final project of his semester. He misses being social. He'll be back soon. He turns forty soon. He'd sleep if he remembered how.

HUGS!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 01, 2008 8:58 am

Well, if you see him, tell him "congratulations" on the sale!!!
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu May 01, 2008 10:20 am

FinderDoug wrote:He got a story accepted by "Tales of the Unanticipated" this week

And he wasn't expecting this, I gather?

[ Congrats! ]
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:38 pm

FinderDoug wrote:He lives. He breathes. He got a story accepted by "Tales of the Unanticipated" this week, for publication in 2009. That's three, THREE lines of bibliography, hah hah hah. He'd have more to say, but at the moment, he's hip-deep in work and in the final project of his semester. He misses being social. He'll be back soon. He turns forty soon. He'd sleep if he remembered how.

HUGS!

Congratulations on your story acceptance, FinderDoug! What is the final project of your semester? Or would curiosity kill "The CAT who HATED PEOPLE!!!!" :-)
Hugs back 'atcha!
Gwyneth

paul

Postby paul » Tue May 06, 2008 10:09 pm

Damn right that's nice! Congrats, bro.
The medium is the message.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed May 07, 2008 7:40 am

Rereading my post, I have a sudden fear that Bob Dole has psychic inroads into my head. I'd remove it, but that's where most of the higher functions originate (not that I can't live on the lower functions, but that would make me - ah, hell, that's too easy a joke to even make...)

Thanks for congratulations and well-wishes. I'm hoping it bodes well for a summer full of creative traction. Lots of potentials to write, lots of ideas bubbling under - I just need to focus. Another sub went to Glimmer Train recently; I have two first drafts of other stories to work on, and should have a half-dozen additional subs by June 1. (I'd like to sell two in a year. That would be nice.)

And I notched an 'A' in one of my two classes this semester (Crafting Narrative Nonfiction), preserving my 4.0. I await the (probably lesser) grade in the other class, Computer Assisted Reporting.

What is the final project of your semester?

For Computer Assisted - it was a ten-year trend analysis of EPA MPG estimates for all makes/models of passenger vehicle available int he United States from 1999 to 2008. It contained no earth-shattering revelations when I got down into the numbers, which may or may not be the kiss of death. There's a lot more choice, but not much progress on fuel economy, with most classes losing ground. The EPA has mastered voodoo automotive fuel economics, but also make no claim to be authoritative, even though they're taken as such. And if we could all be content with small cars that topped out with 1.4L engines, we'd all be getting 45+ miles to the gallon. Especially if we all drove stick.

As it is, I've got the W&OD trail running from near the office to near the apartment, and am considering a distance bike for nice weather commutes. It's a seven-or-eight wins versus very little downside equation, especially as the Cavalier approaches 150k miles.

Return to “Webderlanders”