Vaughn is Welsh/celtic bastardization for 'Paul'

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Vaughn is Welsh/celtic bastardization for 'Paul'

Postby paul » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:17 pm

So i'm months belated as all hell doing this, but i've been using the computer at work and, well, you know how those long rambling posts get on the bosses nerves (and paycheck).
Most of my introduction (if you care, is at http://harlanellison.com/heboard/archiv ... 060606.htm -- Fri march 17th, just a bit from the bottom.) was written as a lurker from forever and just getting ready to see HE for the first time at the Nebulas. Good times. I wrote a little thing on it somewhere on here since then. It's been crazy busy at work (the Apple Co.- back to school) so i've just been poppin' on and off in the Pavvy but now the new laptop is online ( i'm not even a 'computer person') and darned if i don't wanna kinda get back into saying hello here.
Big to-dos going on, so i read. Occasionally i have something to say.
I'm a Mid-30's Maryland yankee transplanted to TX, enjoying Austin immensely. I talk to folk all over and they ask what we do here, and i count band after band, live music in whatever key or flavor you wish; tons of sports, from professional or college baseball and football to roller derby, if you like that sort of thing (i don't but so what?); dozens of movie theaters where you can enjoy a meal and a beverage while watching your film; community theater; art galleries; we get David Sedaris, Prairie Home Companion, Sarah Vowell, a touring tribute to Spaulding Grey (featuring Eric Bogosian, amongst others) in spoken word venues; parks; swimming quarries and lakes galore; more dance clubs and pizza joints you could conceivably shake a stick at; i look at all that and i think: I live in a damn nice town.
I've an eleven yr-old daughter, Kirin, and she's a wing dang doodle. I don't know what that means either. She's at that perfect in-between tomboy/makeup girl stage, meaning she likes bugs and rocks, dinosaurs and sharks, sickeningly cute kitten-in-a-paint can posters and jewelry. She is golden.
I write, get rejected, write some more. Hit money once or twice, very small DIY rags from the 80's early 90's. The last ten years ain't been all that- no sad story, i'm just saying. But the typewriters (3 of 'em) have been working, and my love, Kathy (Kat) and i just got our laptop and the desktops are on the way so true hunkering down work will ensue. We all want to get paid but it DOES feel good, doesn't it?
Eclectic taste in everything. Really. I mean, i have my faves, but surprise myself with what i discover i like. I've recently re-discovered origami and paper 3-D puzzles. Swords, cats, Penn & Teller, i like a lot of stuff. Old enough to have seen the Misfits and the Chieftans with Derek Bell. Young enough to realize no matter how many typewriters i have, i'll never be able to be as prolific as Ellison, but maybe one the stories i have may make me. Worked for Harper Lee. Not that i'm comparing. Doie.
I'm not commenting here on goins on, but soon i'll hit the threads, i'm sure. I like spirited debate, but not angry "I said/You said" discussion about debate. A non-topic is not a topic. But that's just me. I will however play the occasional devil's advocate. That is me. Regardless of my position, i do love to get the other side's arguments and will do so for forensic debating purposes. Really, i'm not a dick.
Also, just so's you know, i'm not ignorant; I do know the correct grammar. Like i made mention to Frank: "I never use a capital 'I' in my personal correspondence (other than manuscript submissions, natch) and i've been fighting the correct usage of it here in a half-assed "no, i don't want anyone to think i'm an illiterate twat/ yes, this is an informal arena so screw it" mentality. Some kind of quirk i have, please all, not to offend. Like the word 'god', i just don't see it all that important to capitalize. Same goes for perfect tense, subject agreement and a blessed host of stylistic goodies in this casual den. From time to time, i may trip. It's only 'cause my toes are peeking through my socks." Grain of salt, ladies and gents. I'l do my damnedest not to pick on your spelling, please don't pluck out my "I''s" .
Other than that, i don't offend easily, but i may offend easily, or at least mail too much at one time (sorry Rob- last months little fecal debacle notwithstanding; you've probably forgotten about it already. love ya, killer).
I have no idea why i want to write here, other than there seems to be some semblance of humanity worth reacting to, and i don't mean that in a bad way. I'm not a daily poster, but ... well.. i guess i'll keep reading this joint and write what i feel when i can. As do we all. Just wanted to say hi. I had some time.
To the Pavvy folks i've talked to - hello again. To all the rest- hello...again.
Be seeing you...
p. hull
The medium is the message.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:37 pm

The capitalized I is kind of Orwellian, where you have to, by law, worship the self, even in grammar.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:55 pm

Bore da, Vaughn/Paul,
erm...I don't know how to say, good afternoon or Welcome in Welsh, so I stuck with "Good Morning" ;)
My good friend lives in Austin. She always says, "Dammit, I don't live in Texas, I live in Austin!" I'm not sure what she means exactly, but it sure seems like you have a lot of events and cultural smorgasboard to choose from.

Welcome to Webderland! Jump right in and start posting. (Frankie is right that the I is Orwellian, the omnipresent eye peering over the rank and file of the marching phonemes, the memes moving the meaning forward.)

Hey, come post in the round robin in the Moving Finger!!!! You're a writer,
It's fun!!! And only four words at a pop!
Cheers,
Gwyneth

paul

Postby paul » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:13 pm

I do worship the self. Perhaps i should encircle my name with a cartouche.
I'm not Welsh/celtic, it's just something i learned when choosing a pen name years ago, when i thought it was cool and hip to have one. Now of course, in the land of Web, it's pretty much a moot point. Until the day every computer comes with live vid-feed access, at which point everyone who wishes to hide will invent the false uploaded personae screen-deceiver to make themselves look like someone else. Or wear a 'SAW' mask. That's a cute little bugger.
My dad died when i was 2 and his middle name was Richard. I like it, Shades of Kings and alla that.
Gywnnie, what your good friend means is ATX is an oasis of sanity in the hotbed of country. I don't have a problem with 'cowboys', just the poseur one who's running this nation. So, from one of your prev. posts, do i take it correctly you know Susan, other than the aforementioned 'lying' episode? Feel free to not respond, i never know when i'm stepping on personal ground.
Nothing's sacred except individuality. I'll be weighing in soon. i do not have an addictive personality, i have an excessive one. i may not talk for weeks, but when i do, i usually don't shut up. However the recent timbre of this joint has brought some new interesting issues to light, and it's refreshing to see some posting women. It's been awhile.
I just hope to see Eric write on occasion. Man had tempestuous logic, but logic nonetheless.
Never tried a round robin, but i was arrested for an incident with a triangular tickbird.
Thanks fer the 'hi'! (insert Cheech and Chong joke here.)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:17 am

Goddamn, that better not be you Eric. hehe.

paul

Postby paul » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:20 am

Frank, i will appreciate the laugh. I understand your semi-conspiratorial politics and admire your tenacity to same. You know in your heart i am just another guy, and i'm pretty sure Barber and Wyatt will confirm this.
Hell, you told me i was gonna get drummed for not using capital 'I's once, remember?
You're too cute for words my man, you ever read Peter McWilliams? Sure he's a libertarian, but his tenants were sound. The Gov killed him, too, just for writing a book.
I asked Rick why my e-mail wasn't working, just waiting on an answer. Maybe i'll need to get a new one, though i hope not. That one and i go way back, to when yahoo was just on the net, not in the white house.
love and warm fuzzies,
p

paul

Postby paul » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:23 am

Tenents. Doie.
p

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:44 am

paul wrote:Tenents. Doie.
p

Close, but again, no cigar.

The word you wanted was "tenets."

Your Resident Pecksniff
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

paul

Postby paul » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:12 pm

As usual, i am indebted to you. I am one of those people who actually appreciates being corrected. All it takes is one time, and i usually remember it. People's grammar gaffes are their signature, my worst sticking point is, in a hurry, and sometimes not, i will spell it 'refridgerator'. Eesh.
Thanks David. How's that knee?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:37 pm

paul wrote:As usual, i am indebted to you. I am one of those people who actually appreciates being corrected. All it takes is one time, and i usually remember it. People's grammar gaffes are their signature, my worst sticking point is, in a hurry, and sometimes not, i will spell it 'refridgerator'. Eesh.
Thanks David. How's that knee?

Saw the question on the other thread first. I'll answer at greater length there, since it's my thread, but the knee is working fine. I can't kneel on it with all my weight yet, and I've got other physical problems/pain, but I'm assuming the knee is healing properly.

And good on you for taking correction gracefully.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

paul

Postby paul » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:07 pm

test, test.. does my e-mail link work here? it hasn't yet.
ke-rist.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:50 am

Never correct Loftus though. He is perfect.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:53 am

I'm sorry David, that was below the belt.

paul

Postby paul » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:21 am

Franklin, be nice in my thread or I'll show them the pictures. I still have the negatives. hehe

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:28 am

Yes Sir.

Return to “Webderlanders”