Frank Church will steal your soul.

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:22 pm

Good rant. I agree that there is good music and bad music, and admit to being a fan of Kanye West's work (for instance).

As far as education is concerned, I'm a little tired of the constant teacher bashing from the political right. It's never the system or the requirements, the problem always seems to come down to lazy/bad teachers in their eyes.

I am curious -- and am tossing this out for comment -- what the fundamental difference is between the curriculae taught in the 1940s and 50, and the generalized one taught today. It would seem something has changed, and yet no one seems to be thinking that might be the problem.

I don't believe teachers were all that much better or worse in those days, which leads me to believe it is either the curriculum; the teaching methodology/requirements; or the children/families/society.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Teachers are forced to teach to the test, that's the main problem. No wonder kids don't learn squat. You also have the fact that you have literature teachers teaching math, math teachers teaching literature, etc. Good teachers rightly avoid bad schools. The whole thing is sad.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:31 pm

Don't drink too much, you mookies. We need sound minds, so I can club them again with my stunning debate skills. Sticks out tongue.

Yea, I'm working. Bah.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:34 pm

Frank, in order to debate you need to cite facts and that is something, bubba, that ain't your strong point
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:19 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Yea, I'm working. Bah.

We weren't sure whether not having a NYE bookng this year was a good thing or a bad thing.

It's now a good thing, 'cause we'll be sleeping safe and sound by the time you roll out of your gig.

(BTW - Slightly off topic, Frank, but have you read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, and was it any good if you have?)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:08 am

This Bourdain clip with Ted Nugent gave me pause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5OkcRVs5ik

Remember, this is the same guy who had deep fried twinkies on his show. Asshole.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:49 am

FrankChurch wrote:Remember, this is the same guy who had deep fried twinkies on his show.

Deep fried twinkies sounds like a great idea!

Especially if they're younger than 16.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Being, as I am, a member of the Horizontally challenged, I should admit guilt at having abused myself and the entirety of the health care system.

In fact, I will do so happily if Mr. Bourdain admits smoking does much the same thing, and alcoholism abets obesity's medical issues. And, if Mr. Nugent renounces his own drinking and recreational chemical abuse.

Them what lives in glass houses shouldn't let the fat guy sit on the roof.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:21 pm

That's something that has always puzzled me: why I so often see chefs of the local restaurants out on the sidewalk puffing away. That's gotta kill their delicate taste buds! At least actors can get a side benefit out of the way smoking carmelizes their speaking voice.

I blame smoking for the way so many salads are over-drenched in dressing to the point where they choke my wife. The chefs can't taste how strong they're making it.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:18 pm

David, maybe it's the DDT on the lettuce.

With our screwy trade laws you never know what is coming in.

Wonder what Bourdain means by fat.

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Barber wrote:And, if Mr. Nugent renounces his own drinking and recreational chemical abuse.

I thought Nugent has been long time critic of drugs and alcohol use and doesn't use either himself? Or is there a joke I’m missing here?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Barber was a bit confused. Are you a right winger there Tom?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:43 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber was a bit confused. Are you a right winger there Tom?

Past tense? Frank, I AM confused.

(Or hadn't you noticed?)

Nugent didn't do drugs and in fact was well-known around the rcok community for that. There's a story regarding a performance with Hendrix in which Hendrix openly mocked Nugent for not joining in.

My bad.

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:14 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber was a bit confused. Are you a right winger there Tom?

Hell no.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:56 am

Tom, calm it down, you are among friends..lol

Return to “Webderlanders”