Frank Church will steal your soul.

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:44 pm

Verbal gymnastics are wonderous--and you don't need waxing on the bikini line.

Gurgles.

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:10 pm

Henry Rollins: A Love Letter to Ann Coulter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM7MR5_v47w

It made me think of you.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:39 pm

Ann is a hateful person, I am a wonderful person, don't get the connection. Sure I am full of feathers, but so are a bunch of people with much more power than me.

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:19 am

I was equating you more with Henry than with Ann. Y'see.
aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! My nipples!

-Bob Goldthwait

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:16 pm

Davey, aww; but I steer clear of that boneheaded weighlifting, macho crap. I prefer lifting the purple bong, Hendrix, the smell of faraway jasmine, a crack in the window, the flapping of the shade...

I came.

LarryF

All Small Down

Postby LarryF » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:14 pm

Frank, I'm a Chomskyite too. Noam ain't perfect, but he's a damn sight better than the cross-eyed, drooling yahoos who lurk in the White House in these latter days. By the way, I like your pithy, quirky style. Like unto Chuck Bukowski on acid? I dunno.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:50 am

Larry,

Why don't you post an intro to yourself in the Webderlanders wing?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:49 am

How's the soul stealing progressing, Frank? I feel empty today...

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:38 am

Larry, your Chomskyite comment made my teeth hurt. I always avoid personalizing belief. We should never think like Chomsky, but learn to think for ourselves. Intellectual self defense, dont'cha know.

Your comments made me blush. Dead leaves are swept away; new ground is chucked on your rosebush.

LarryF

Postby LarryF » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:09 am

Frank, I didn't mean to give the impression, by using the term "Chomskyite," that I'm a zombified follower of Our Man Noam. Yes, we must learn to think for ourselves, to march to our own drummer--as opposed to, for dread example, the goose-stepping, fascist cadence of Fox News.

My heroes have always been iconoclasts: Thomas Paine, Mark Twain, Ambrose Bierce, Oscar Wilde, H.L. Mencken, Woody Guthrie, Gore Vidal, Lenny Bruce ... you get the general idea. Flawed people all (as who among us is not?) but not afraid to use their talents to speak the truth to power--at least the truth as best they can divine it, minus the jingoistic and faux religiosity with which the Powers That Be embellish reality.

As Mencken put it:

"The iconoclast proves enough when he proves by his blasphemy that this or that idol is defectively convincing--that at least one visitor to the shrine is left full of doubts. The liberation of the human mind has been best furthered by gay fellows who heaved dead cats into sanctuaries and then went roistering down the highways of the world, proving to all men that doubt, after all, was safe--that the god in the sanctuary was a fraud. One horselaugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms."

LarryF

Postby LarryF » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:15 am

Correction: the above should read: "jingoism" rather than "jingoistic." What a difference a suffix makes! Although, come to think of it, our Right-Wing American brand of religiosity is pretty jingoistic.

Whatever.

Praise the Lord and pass the italics.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:56 pm

Larry, I'm starting to really dig you. Rock on. Steve Evil has been letting me down as of late.

Richard Keeney

don't bogart that verb

Postby Richard Keeney » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:28 pm

FrankChurch wrote:...I prefer lifting the purple bong, Hendrix...

It's good to know which Webderlander has the hookah-mojo.

But, Frank, I'm afraid I'll party with you and you'll start talking that fiendish shit that you talk and all of my teeth will fall out...or something.

Rick

Lori Koonce

Re: don't bogart that verb

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:44 pm

Richard Keeney wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:...I prefer lifting the purple bong, Hendrix...

It's good to know which Webderlander has the hookah-mojo.

But, Frank, I'm afraid I'll party with you and you'll start talking that fiendish shit that you talk and all of my teeth will fall out...or something.

Rick

Frank just likes us all to think he's Evil.

He's just a big teddy bear of a guy, who loves his mom and is crazy about Elvis....

(wondering why the strains of a Tom Petty song are runnin thru my head)

Lori

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:03 pm

I just found one of my better rants. From july, 2001:

"I hate to be obvious, but doesn't the fault with youth start with the fucked up education system? This is a system that makes sure kids are as brain fucked as possible. The easily manageable always make the best shoppers, remember. But we must also remember that not all kids are brain drains or cultural lower --rung dwellers. There is an organization called, Students Against Sweatshops, that do a great job on College campuses, informing the public on abuses of corporate dogs like NIKE. So not all is lost. Also, the Seattle protest was largely young people; and I am not just talking about the Anarcho-window breakers. But it was found out later that a lot of the window breakers were homeless kids who were lashing out. The kids may not always be alright, but they aren't all bad either.

The music debate is interesting, but I am a bit peeved at all the people who consistantly pick on Rap music and other forms of popular music. Rap music is popular in the inner city because it speaks to what is happening in the streets in blood red terms, that seem to scare away tame ears. Chuck D., of Public Enemy, calls rap, "Black Americas CNN". Rap can be quite crass and at times, highly offensive, and stupid, but, rap is the way many who have no hope use as a way out of the killing fields. Rapper Ice-T has the money to hire ex-gang members, who would be killing and robbing if Ice didn't have the way out monetarily. I am not insisting that rap is as important musically as Jazz, but I do know many esteemed jazz musicians have guested on rap albums, and Quincy Jones has endorsed popular music for years.

I say for the record once again: there is good music and bad music. Good Jazz, Bad Jazz. Good rock, bad rock, etc...

This battle between young and old is kind of silly. Generations have always argued about what is "pure" and what is "impure" culturally, especially when it comes to music taste. I am sure I could find classical music critics who literally hate jazz music. I know a woman who loves opera and Mozart, but thinks jazz is "noise". The beat of rap is meant to piss off White America, and I kind of enjoy seeing certain white bread conservative types squirm. Miles Davis was castigated by jazz critics when he wrote in his autobiography that rocker Prince was the Duke Ellington of this age. Maybe Miles is right, maybe he is wrong. Everyone has opinions. Everyone has tastes. Some like sweet, some like spicy. Music has a mysterious power that is strange to say the least. Beauty works in many diffrent ways. Music is the one art form where a consensus is impossible.

But, this discussion is great. Keep it up folks. Good rant Ellison!"

Return to “Webderlanders”