AKA Demonocrites

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:58 pm

Thank you, Doug, David, and Alan.

Good News Front: I'm driving to Brantford, ON, for an event June 5-7, then to NYC for an event on the 17th. Then I'll probably drive south to Florida, west to California, and north to this spot here. I'll post my itinerary as it develops.

Hoping to see everyone,
D.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:27 am

Hmm... I might be back from the west coast by the time you'd be passing Virginia way (cuts kinda close - I fly back from Portland June 20). Keep us posted!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:18 am

Move to America, we have loads of trucking gigs.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:33 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Move to America, we have loads of trucking gigs.

Yeah, I don't see any American employers wrangling me a work visa. Sorry to disappoint.

D.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:36 pm

FinderDoug wrote:Hmm... I might be back from the west coast by the time you'd be passing Virginia way (cuts kinda close - I fly back from Portland June 20). Keep us posted!

That might work. I haven't determined my itinerary yet, but I'll keep that in mind. Cross yer fingers.

D.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Absolutely. We'll wrangle up the DC contingent, grab a beer, swap tall tales. A regular hootnanny it'll be.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:22 am

Get him into Prince, Doug.

Douglas Harrison

Re:

Postby Douglas Harrison » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Douglas Harrison wrote:Good News Front: I'm driving to Brantford, ON, for an event June 5-7, then to NYC for an event on the 17th. Then I'll probably drive south to Florida, west to California, and north to this spot here. I'll post my itinerary as it develops.

Hoping to see everyone,

D.

Unfortunately, when I reassessed my financial situation (at the last minute, as is my wont), I came to the conclusion that I cannot realistically afford my journey eastward and have cancelled said adventure. I apologize for my harebraineness and for any false hopes it may have created.

D.

Coil 2.0

Re: AKA Demonocrites

Postby Coil 2.0 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:14 pm

Probably a wise choice, as gasoline has gone up again this week (making it about 6 weeks in a row)...to $2.859.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:16 pm

Understandable, sir. And a big bummer!

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:03 pm

Douglas Harrison wrote:Unlike many Webderlanders, I am a rather uninteresting person. Single and childless, I work six days a week in retail, read a lot, watch movies frequently, plan for future travel, and that's about it. I used to write poetry, but it gave me up.

Oh, and I like computer games.

D.

Like many Webderlanders, I aspire to be an interesting person. Blessed with true friends and a close, supportive family, I have resolved to stop role-playing my way through life and to be the artist I am. I read a lot--both for pleasure and edification--try to watch as many smart movies as I can, travel when I can afford to, and write poetry, fiction, and essays. I intend to take more photographs and to start drawing again, in addition to teaching myself web design and Linux.

I still like computer games, but I seldom have time for them.

D.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:02 am

Douglas Harrison wrote:... I have resolved to stop role-playing my way through life and to be the artist I am.

Last August's resolve faded, I'm sorry to report, but things change.

D.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:32 am

Douglas Harrison wrote:
Douglas Harrison wrote:... I have resolved to stop role-playing my way through life and to be the artist I am.

Last August's resolve faded, I'm sorry to report, but things change.

D.

Douglas - If I may: There is a book that I found to be very instrumental in focusing me on doing what I want to do in life. (No, no. It has nothing to do with the Bible or dianetics, stop hiding in the corner. I can see you and your position is just not flattering in this light.)

Check out Phil Keoghan's NO OPPORTUNITY WASTED. http://www.noopportunitywasted.com/

It's not your typical self-help book, nor is it designed to "Make You An Instant In-Demand Celebrity", it's simply a very good book that shows you how to set up specific goals of things you want to accomplish in life and then start to do them. Everything from learning another language, to writing a novel, to biking across America, to doing volunteer work at the nearest women's shelter, to having a gourmet dinner on the slopes of a live volcano (okay, that last one was one of Phil's, but still...). He goes through a specific methodology for putting together your list, and then demonstrates the steps -- both little and big -- you can take to get things rolling.

The idea has been ripped off as The Bucket List.

Just a thought. I'm still procrastinating on a lot but it's certainly allowed me to do some really cool things by simply taking note and adding them into my plans. YMMV
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:27 am

Hey Doug

I mentioned your lack of work to a friend of mine who made a couple of recommendations of companies you may wanna check out.

Schnider will train you, help you get your license if you don't have it all ready and give you steady work for at least a year.

Swift is always looking for independent contractors as well.

Both are American companies that run in Canada, so give 'em a look see.

I'm gonna get to have a face to face with you if it kills me!

Lori

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks much, Steve, for the book recommendation, and Lori, for the leads.

Lori, a visit's inevitable.

D.

Return to “Webderlanders”