Peluquero Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Peluquero Redux

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Okay, this is a bit of a risk, but I'm launching a second blog. As most of you know, I could stand to lose a lot of weight. Cris and I have started a program that so far seems to be a solid one for us but isn't without some medical controversy. It's called the HGC Diet. We're under the watch of two different doctors, so we're thinking the best.

I started losing weight in January, and Cris started last year. Mainly through healthier decisions. This is our way of accelerating the process. Before the program, Cris lost 18 pounds and is down 16 more in the last month on HCG. I am down 25 since January, with 14 of it on HCG in three weeks.

I will be posting daily commentaries on the losses, as well as any particular challenges or achievements.

http://steveshcgdiary.blogspot.com/
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am

Better to be healthy than feeling bad. The outside is just that. Just take it easy.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Thanks Frank, we are. Very successfully so far, though possibly some storm clouds on the horizon.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 20, 2013 11:57 pm

And now for something completely different:

"A paradox,
A most ingenious paradox!
We’ve quips and quibbles heard in flocks,
But none to beat this paradox!"

Cris and I have what Tv presenter Phil Keoghan calls the "List for Life", the basic tool of his NO OPPORTUNITY WASTED methodology for pursuing specific goals and adventures for an enriched life.

The recent balloon ride was such a thing. It satisfied one of the eight basic categories on the List, in this case around the goal of Face Your Fear.

So now I am in the position of having to pick a new Face Your Fear goal and put it on the list. Except, frankly, I really don't want to have to face down another thing that makes me nervous. Which, in effect, is being afraid -- or fearing -- picking a challenge.

Which begs the question: Can I put "Picking a New Face Your Fear Challenge" as my challenge? And by picking another challenge is the challenge self-fulfilled before I even get started. And if it is, do I now need to pick yet another...and, well, you can see the endless loop paradox I've created.

Amazing the stuff that comes to mind late in the evening as you're reading yourself for bed....

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue May 21, 2013 12:03 pm

It would seem to me that the Idea is overcoming your fears. You want to totally frustrate yourself, pick one that can't be conquered. And that frustration may lead to you giving up on the idea all together.

But, you know yourself best, so feel free to ignore me.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 23, 2013 7:59 am

Thanks Lori -- That's the objective, but it struck me as amusing that choosing my next Face Your Fear was itself riddled with anxiety.

I'm going to post this in the Pav shortly, but wanted to note that as of this morning I am officially halfway to my stated goal of losing 90 pounds by the end of the year. Though a recent revelation shows I might have been even heavier in 2007, which means my overall loss is greater. But from the official standpoint: 45 down, 45 to go.

Steve2013.jpg
Steve2013.jpg (162.54 KiB) Viewed 1803 times

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu May 23, 2013 11:37 am

Go go go!

By the way, your weight is being deposited in Texas. Is there anyone I can pass it along to when I'm done wrestling it?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu May 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Steve

You look like a totally different person, and I do mean that in a positive way .

Just a nosey question. In order to maintain the loss will you always have to take the shots? And will you be able to add back carbs?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Steve

You look like a totally different person, and I do mean that in a positive way .

Just a nosey question. In order to maintain the loss will you always have to take the shots? And will you be able to add back carbs?

Not nosey at all. No, the shots have a specific course and I'd only go back on if I fail to keep the weight off. Carbs are a dicier matter, since I don't want to get back into old habits. I would say that carbs will be something more akin to a bowl of ice cream of chocolate bar -- not every day, but a treat every once in a while. The biggest thing is that it looks like I may be done with wine and martinis except for special occasions. They're major sources of carbs, and I've found the two or three times I've had wine, at least, that my tolerance is way down and that I really feel like crud instead of enjoying myself.

We'll see, but t=at least the shots are definitely close-ended.

(DOUG -- Thanks for picking those up for me. Feel free to dispose of them any way you see fit. Pun intended. Enjoy yourself, I just got sick and tired and embarrassed enough to do something drastic.)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu May 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Oh, I'm not so far behind you. I'm in the second-worst shape of my life - a classic stress eater who lost his dad, got married, and got laid off in the span of six months. Plus side: I know what to do and how to do it. Minus side: the pile of turmoil (ma was admitted to the hospital this afternoon) and routine interruption from being displaced has made it a very eaty-drinky stretch. But you do inspire me to be better. Which is good, because beer.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri May 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Steve, you look great but no wine or booze? You are a stronger man than I am.....

Doug, sending all the positive vibes I can your way and hope you Mom is doing beter
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:24 am

Steve! Way to go! :D Are you feeling well? I've never heard of this diet, but it does sound...daunting.

Doug, wow, what a whammy! Give your Mom an extra hug from me. Sending (((((((good vibrations ))))))) from CA!
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 am

Doug -- Sincere good wishes for your Mom. Is she out now? Any idea what caused it?

Gwyn -- Thanks! I feel amazingly better.A lot of this was prompted by just how bad I was doing, including a run to the Vegas ER a year and a half ago. I'm only half way, but the amount of energy and vitality I feel is astounding. (The other day Cris and I were moving roughly 20 thirty pound boxes from the garage to her car. When we were done she looked at me and said "you're not even winded"...and I wasn't. Two years ago I wouldn't have been not only winded but my heart would have been going all Gene Krupa.)

Mark -- I still have an occasional glass of wine or a drink -- I can't imagine cutting them out altogether -- but have noticed that my body's tolerance has decreased. I just don't feel good when I have a couple of drinks. It's almost becoming aversion therapy. (I said "almost".)

This weekend saw me cheat, a lot, and I went back up 2 1/2 pounds. I've stopped the stupidity and am back on plan and down to within a pound of where I was Friday. Too much wine, bread, wedding cake and -- on Friday night -- pasta. It was an action packed Thursday through Saturday, so I kind of went way off plan. Cris and I got a pizza Thursday, followed by a pasta dinner at Catalina Jazz Club in Hollywood (went to see Tuck and Patti), and my niece's wedding on Saturday.

But back to plan today. (Shhhh)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue May 28, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks all for the well-wishes. Mom's home. The suspicion is that her sinus infection tag-teamed with her COPD to wreck havoc with her O2 levels; of course, they took it as an occasion to screw around with her BP meds (an area where her body has been notoriously fickle - it took several months for them to find one that actually worked the way it was supposed to, so naturally, at the hospital they decided to try changing it up; mayhem ensued; this is why people "practice" medicine...) Add to this her regular doctor was out of the country... yeah. But she's home, and doing better.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:28 am

Doug -- that's great news about your Mom. I hope things continue on an upward trend.

Steve -- I didn't know you had an ER trip in Vegas! Sounds very scary! Good for you for grabbing the bull by the horns and taking on such an ambitious program. Are you working out as well?
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Return to “Webderlanders”