Peluquero Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:42 am

Barber wrote:Thanks guys. I'd actually almost forgotten about it until her name got mentioned a few days ago.

The best part, really, was finding out what a very nice person she is.

And she has good taste in dance partners.

D.

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:33 am

Steve, I apologize for Douglas - he doesn't know how much you hate flattery.

Thanks for the great photos by the way. Showed them Hollywood, ey? How's the blog coming along?

And sorry I was so nasty to you last week. You deserve better than friends like me. I got bigger job problems than any of you because I'm a spoiled brat. I only take jobs that I can do under a palm tree with cold cocktails delivered every hour and the sound of waves.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:53 am

Jan wrote:Steve, I apologize for Douglas - he doesn't know how much you hate flattery..

Oh, no, Douglas is quite welcome to continue. I just thought he meant all the OTHER dance partners she's had.

Jan wrote:Thanks for the great photos by the way. Showed them Hollywood, ey? How's the blog coming along?.

I need to sit down and go through all of the days before I can do it justice. I am also going to wait until after James weighs in on his blog.

(If he posts, for instance, that we were a bunch of ignorant American shits, for instance, I don't want to be quoted as saying it was "quite lovely". It was quite lovely, and James has said it was the "Best. Holiday. Ever." -- but propriety is propriety.)

Maybe this weekend. Glad least you looked at the pics!

Jan wrote:And sorry I was so nasty to you last week. You deserve better than friends like me. I got bigger job problems than any of you because I'm a spoiled brat. I only take jobs that I can do under a palm tree with cold cocktails delivered every hour and the sound of waves.

I'm sorry to hear about the job problems. It does suck having to pay the bills.

On the other hand, let us know if you get that St Barth's bartending gig thing. I may want to work for you...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:45 am

No St Barths didn't work out. Where is that? Anyway, that would have involved bartending and other forms of extreme physical labor, not to mention the psychological strain.

Glad least you looked at the pics!

... Well, okay, I scrolled past them to the pics of me. Steve, when are they going to be back near the top?

By the way, last time you probably didn't see my Pavilion p.s. regarding the spelling of Gwyneth's name. One n. She won't talk to us until that's been taken care of. If she ever will again. Good job, Steve, very good job.

Sorry for nudging you about the report - didn't know about the politics involved. What makes you think they might consider you ignorant American shits? What did you do? Did you

Oh no.

You didn't did you? Tell me you didn't? Steve, seriously. :shock:

Oh my God. I think you did.

I just can't believe it... Does Harlan know? It's definitely the last thing he would approve of! Obviously! I'm speechless... I'm not going to help you out of that one.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:54 am

Urm.

Yeah. I did it.

So did Harlan.

Hence the LAPD picture of Jodie getting arrested -- but you'd a done it too, yeah? Yeah?

Yeah?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:55 am

You pinned it on the tourists and the police believed you?
How you got Harlan to do it is beyond me, but I guess I have to take your word for it.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:19 pm

IN MY DEFENSE

Yeah. I like musicals. Not all of them, but a goodly enough number to realize it's a favorite film/stage category. Even discounting all of the old MGM-style musicals of the past, I admit to liking everything from bubble gum (Hairspray, Mamma Mia!, Grease!) to some with considerably heavier chops (Moulin Rouge, Cabaret, All That Jazz).

Go figure.

Now, as far as the aspersions cast on my musical tastes (as opposed to my tastes in musicals), I'll also note that in addition to George Michael, in my car's CD player I am currently listening to Nina Simone, The Allman Brothers Band, Al Jarreau, the soundtrack to Pirates of the Caribbean, Blue Man Group, and Lux Aeterna.

(And, of course, a cd by a rather cute brunette I know...)

Just sayin', I ain't a one trick pony...

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Nothing wrong with liking musicals.

All That Jazz is one of my favorite movies.

I saw Mamma Mia! and enjoyed it. Brosnan has a horrible voice, but hit the right notes. Amanda Seyfreid has a nice voice and is very nice to look at. Meryl Streep doesn't have a superior voice, but she can sing.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:01 pm

I don't get why Mamma Mia was made. It actually made a lot more money so far than the X-Files movie. I like musicals with good original songs, but second-rate singers in a movie with old songs? That's sad.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Some good news going on around here, despite some of the challenges like unemployment.

1) The insurance on the smashed windshield was really good. Our deductible is only $100. The entire repair, windshield and hood paint job (bonnet for our British friends), is totalling over $1400 (eight pound thirty for our British friends at the current exchange rate), so we're pretty pleased. Oh, and it won't up our rates...

2) A repair on Cris' car, originally estimated at $1300 (to fix a broken weld underneath the driver's seat -- kind of an important weld) has been reduced to $275 after Honda and the dealership both agreed that this particular weld should never break (kind of a safety issue).

3) Cris has booked a very high profile gig at a fundraiser hosted by the LA Car Guy auto group -- to be held at a huge Porsche dealership... (woohoo)

So despite my bitching on the Pav, it ain't all bad.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:04 pm

Jan wrote:... but second-rate singers in a movie with old songs?

Works for "American Idol," minus the movie and the star power.

D.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Barber wrote:So despite my bitching on the Pav, it ain't all bad.

I'm glad you have good insurance and caught a break on the repairs for Cris's wheels. Must be a karmic reward for the sweet songs.

I hope the job situation improves post haste, my friend.

D.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:32 am

So the morning flight to New York was canceled, and we're waiting around the house until it's time to leave for the next one. And juggling restaurant reservations at the same time, since we're getting in too late tonight to do anything.

So I figured I'd update my job status.

Verizon is making an offer, for exactly the job I wanted and one I think I'll enjoy. I met with the Director and one of the managers I'll be supporting, and both seem to be eager to get me on board. My new boss called late last night to ask me to do some online paperwork before I left.

Starting around the 22nd. Three more weeks of vacation time. Oh whatever will I do???

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:45 am

Sorry to hear about the flight delay, but that is wonderful news about the Verizon offer.

Have you spoken with Qwest at all, or is that being placed on hold or outright declined while you await the paperwork from Verizon?
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:04 am

markabaddon wrote:Sorry to hear about the flight delay, but that is wonderful news about the Verizon offer.

Have you spoken with Qwest at all, or is that being placed on hold or outright declined while you await the paperwork from Verizon?

Until I get the actual offer letter from Verizon everything's still on the table. I got a call yesterday from the "DeathStar" wanting to recruit me for a technical consultant role. Supposed to meet with them on Wednesday.

Nothing's out until someone puts paper in my hand.

Return to “Webderlanders”