Peluquero Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:10 pm

GM is a decent singer but his material has been lacking since his solid first solo record, apart from a cover version or two. His fame is mostly based on looking good. He seems to be a nice guy, though. I still remember when he wanted to get out of appearing in music videos and all that stuff because of his good looks, which he then changed into looking very dull on purpose. (Changed his mind a few times, though. Has to pay his bills.)

Of course you've seen him playing himself in Extras. If not, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oceEXr8SDls
:o

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:28 pm

(Okay, this is actually more about Cris than it is me, but since we're joined at the hip...)

Things with the CD seem to be creeping right along, with most of the momentum still in the right direction.

This Moment is currently playing on some twelve stations in Australia (of roughly 50 worldwide), and of the ten she's getting some extraordinary responses from the program managers -- one of them went as far as to say he was having trouble pinning down which track was the most successful, since she had several that were being requested on a regular basis.

Gotta love the Aussies. Her second CD actually cracked the Australian version of the Jazz Top 40 several years ago.

The eJazzNews review is showing up in quite a few different places around the internet. Apparently they feed into a lot of other websites. Good for them!!!

iTunes is showing that Cris is doing quite well, though we won't have sales numbers for a couple of months. The reviews are doing their thing and the label reports they have gotten into the "inner sanctum" to pitch the CD's tracks to production companies.

The most popular tracks on iTunes (other than Route 66, which seems to be her perennial) are My Foolish Heart, Sunny, Blackbird and Family Line. I think Steve McClintock, the label owner, is a bit miffed that his two tracks have sold a few downloads, but he's number five in new-track popularity!! The good news is none of the songs are being completely ignored as far as downloads go.

Cris' gig this weekend (at The Vault Pasadena) has been cancelled. The booking manager called to say the owners had already booked a band. This is a pretty cheesy thing to do, but it happens. (The good news -- at least for me) is that it frees me up to shoot a band down in Orange County who have been trying to hire me for a couple of months to do publicity shots.)

And, lastly, Cris' website has been updated with new graphics and a download page. http://www.crisbarnermusic.com
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:27 pm

(The good news -- at least for me) is that it frees me up to shoot a band down in Orange County

Don't forget to charge the batteries before leaving and try not cut off their heads.

By the way, it pays off to look at a few professional photos for inspiration. Flickr is a good place to look.

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:17 am

As soon as you're back from your busy schedule we deserve a full report on James Moran, Harlan, and you. (Including a progress report on everybody's weight loss regimes.)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:41 am

Jan wrote:As soon as you're back from your busy schedule we deserve a full report on James Moran, Harlan, and you. (Including a progress report on everybody's weight loss regimes.)

So promised.

Well, except for the weight loss thingy. This visit did none of us any favors in that regard. Harlan called me yesterday to tell me he'd gained two pounds at The Gardens of Taxco and would have to lay off the food for a while. James called an hour or so later and said that he and Jodie were unlikely to need "any sustenance for days".

Quick note: Cris and I were amazed that the restaurant was a block down the street from our first apartment, where we lived, briefly, some 23 years ago. Never went. Don't even recall seeing it (though it definitely was there). Small world.

If you had told me in 1985 that twenty three years later I'd be sitting in a hole in the wall restaurant a block away, breaking bread with Harlan Ellison and a writer for Doctor Who I'd have considered you certifiable.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:35 am

Ancient Chinese Curse: "May you live in interesting times..."

My company has a small RIF this morning and guess who's impacted (after a collective 3 months on the job).

My boss, the area GM, is being terrific however and is offering me a gig in our Direct Sales unit -- which is, essentially, the job I did ten, twelve years ago. But he's not cutting me, and I appreciate that.

*Sigh*

Yeah. Gotta watch that walking out in a huff thing (such as I did at Verizon three months ago). It'll come back and bite you.

Anybody got any openings???

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:50 am

Ho-hum. You still got the moderator job, right? And as long as you're capable of looking the other way, your responisibilities could be expanded to include babysitting Frank and feeding him his rations of pomegranate juice and bowels or whatever that stuff is. He's not turning out the way we hoped and he often disappears for hours, totally unsupervised. He also tears local stuff out of the daily paper before any of us get to read it.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:02 pm

On the subject of dancing with Julie Newmar.

I was fortunate enough to be working a celebrity-infested trade show (The California Women's Conference) here in Long Beach a few years ago. I met and talked to a number of "name" people over the course of the day, but around 3pm I spotted Ms Newmar heading down the aisle alone. Not a whole lot of people seemed to recognize her -- I'd guess the average age of the people attending and working the show to be 30-ish. I rather loudly (and deliberately) said "it's a pleasure to see you here Ms. Newmar, you look wonderful!"

She smiled broadly and came into the booth where we talked for a few. She had co-hosted a series of ballroom shows on PBS with a guy Cris and I once knew, and I mentioned it. She was amazingly gracious and friendly, so I kind of brazenly asked if I could dance a short waltz with her.

She seemed very tickled to be getting the attention and enthusiastically took up dance position so we could take a handful of turns around the booth.

I'm not sure what shocked my coworkers more -- that I was doing this with a stranger (they'd figured out she was some kind of celebrity) or the fact I could dance.

She then thanked me and excused herself to attend a seminar that was starting -- but not before I got a very sweet peck on the cheek.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:11 am

That's amazing!!

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:43 am

Barber,

You are da man!

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

rich

Postby rich » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:50 am

THAT does deserve a huzzah. Very nice, Steve.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:28 am

Thanks guys. I'd actually almost forgotten about it until her name got mentioned a few days ago.

The best part, really, was finding out what a very nice person she is.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:26 am

You have to love the naivete' of kids, even today.

Cris got a call this morning from our friend's son (our friend being the fundamentalist Christian I keep mentioning).

The son, 16, is seeking work experience so that he can apply for a real job at some point in the near future. So he thought working in a recording studio might be a good place to start. He called Cris and told her he would be happy to come down and "do whatever" just for the experience, "no pay or anything".

He then started listing the things he could do, such as "turn the knobs on the mixing thing", "plug in mikes and stuff" and lastly, "fix pictures on the computer".

You know. The easy stuff it takes decades to learn.

Commendably, she didn't laugh.

(At least he didn't want to sing backup...)

She's going to have him sweeping floors, and if he's reaaaallly good letting him organize her supply closet.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Hand him the broom and tell him that music can be swept up as well, like angels.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Barber wrote:On the subject of dancing with Julie Newmar.

...but not before I got a very sweet peck on the cheek.

I know this is inappropriate, but...

I am so turned on right now.

Return to “Webderlanders”