Peluquero Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Re: Peluquero Redux

Postby paul » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:00 pm

I am so angry at situations where words are inadequate. Please accept mine and Kats' deepest commiseration. Our boy is sick at the moment, and the future always looks fuzzy when viewed through tears. I am sorry for your loss.
Courage, mon ami. Time heals not, but helps. Damn.
The medium is the message.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:23 am

Thank you Paul.

It was, in many ways, the best way to lose a loved pet.

What's wrong with your son? I hope he's feeling better this morning!

You guys okay?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

paul

Postby paul » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:56 am

Son, as in the 9 year old furball cat. Never had a single problem in all the time we've been in either residence, but early this year we (and apparently the surrounding counties, according to the news) had a virulent flea problem. We got it all done, Frontline, house treatment, etc., but what appears to have happened is he's gotten an allergy to either the meds, which have built up in his system, or possibly a type of flea dermatitis. Either way, he wouldn't stop scratching and biting, down to red swollen skin, eventually denuding himself in patches wherever he could reach. Had to put the collar on him and take him to the vet. Antibiotics, pain squeezers. Poor thing's skinny, patchy, miserable, and generally looks like he just stepped out of a Gasoline Alley cartoon. I think he'll be fine, but it's rough trying to keep him from hurting himself.

Anyway, I know it's never easy, but just wanted to let you know you guys are in our thoughts.
The medium is the message.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 am

I haven't posted in this thread for a couple of months, but had to come here to bitch for a second.

The day after we lost Frankie (posted above), a friend of ours moved in for a brief stay while she got her life in order. Perhaps a month. She's the dogsitter who lives in our house while we're out of town, taking care of Tango and the cat.

Some background: She is a 45 year old woman who has lived with her parents her entire life. Four months ago her mother passed away, a year almost to the day after her father. Our friend has never been on terrific terms with her sister. After the mother passed, the sister insisted they liquidate everything, including the house. Our friend was unable to buy out her sister, so the house was put on the market and sold before our friend could collect her inheritance and buy a new place. (Our friend doesn't have a regular job, but planned on paying cash for a new residence.) She made a bid on a new place and told us she expected it to only be a 15 day escrow.

She moved in August 17th.

That day, she updated us and said the deal had fallen through, but that she was continuing to look around.

Yep. She's still in our house. She is, in many ways, a very good roommate. Considerate. Does dishes and even scoops the yard. She mostly cooks for herself. But she has a dog (a shelty) that Tango doesn't really like (he tolerates her, but that's about it). And since she doesn't work regular hours she hangs around the house. A lot. Despite the presence of a tv set in her room, she will turn on the tv in the family room while I'm on a conference call. Not loudly, but still...

She occupies the second bedroom, which is where I have most of the books, as well as my camera gear (now all collected on the bar in the family room, just so I can get to it when I need it).

Now, it's possible that a deeply messed up escrow she's currently in may fall apart. The tenant has somehow gotten the IRS to put a tax lien against the owner's house instead of against the tenant's property. How this can happen, I don't know -- and I rather suspect it's BS. (Not from our friend, but from the seller.)

So. Two months later and we're potentially no sooner to getting her situated than we were August 17th.

Again, very nice person. Good friend. Not used to being on her own. As I noted to Cris, we're not her parents, and I'm not really in the market for a roommate.

No need for a response, I just needed somewhere to post this. Get it off my chest. She sees my Facebook feeds, so can't comment there. It's as hard on her as it is on us.

But at some point, we need our lives back.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:10 am

It's breach of code to hover about or make noise when someone else is on the phone, especially if it's an important or personal call (which can be hard to tell).

As long as she's still attempting to find a place, there's proabably not much you can do except make sure she knows and obeys basic house rules, keeps looking and is on the right track. So you must keep discussing the strategy and throw your own ideas in. My two cents.

We've had paying tenants here that we thought would find a permanent place after four months -- they ended up renewing the contract multiple times and have been here for 18 months or so, and apparently they've come to like it, so they've slacked off with their search. We finally had to tell them there will be absolutely no more renewals and no mercy. Sort of different situation because it's a separate apartment, but it's still ours and we have plans with it.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:31 am

Thanks Jan -- yours is a similar situation because, in a way, you've lost control over something you own and it's not a good feeling. In our case, we're not even getting rent.

We're doing much of what you say already, including asking daily about progress, etc.

Oh, and last night we found out she might be pregnant.

:shock:

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:50 am

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Snow is pretty--from a distance: of about 2000 miles.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:48 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Snow is pretty--from a distance: of about 2000 miles.

Exactly. That's why I like SoCal. We keep our snow in the mountains where we can see it and visit it if the mood strikes.

Otherwise, it's 75 degrees and blue skies...

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Roommate update. Day 74.

We see a flick of light at the end of the tunnel. Her agent called. Paperwork tomorrow, and key exchange on Wednesday. Maybe. If tenant gone (not David).

My wife has ventured the opinion that the "pregnancy" may, instead, be menopause brought on by stress. Tests have all come back negative, but still no appearance of the monthly visitor (as it was once described in an old sitcom).

I shouldn't know that. Don't WANT to know that.

But there, in the darkness. A flick.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:52 am

Please lord, let it snow in Long Beach. Barber loves it sooooooooooooooooooooo

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:02 pm

That cracked me up, Frank.

Day 76: "Not so fast".

Because of the complexity/absurdity of the transaction, the IRS is insisting everyone sign "responsibility" documents before they release the lien. They get their dime first, as usual. Provided everyone quickly signs and plays nice, we're now looking to Monday.

On a different note, Cris' theory may prove out. Might be menopause, not pregnancy.

Tango may be trying to find places to stash our roommate's dog's body. I've seen him digging in the far back corner of the yard, behind the bird of paradise amidst the bamboo curtain.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:20 am

Not a pleasant thought, but one that crossed my mind...

Maybe Tango can sense mom and dad's stress and is getting ready to bury HER instead of the dog....

You know, wanting to take good care of the humans who care so much for him....

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Not a pleasant thought, but one that crossed my mind...

Maybe Tango can sense mom and dad's stress and is getting ready to bury HER instead of the dog....

You know, wanting to take good care of the humans who care so much for him....

Definitely possible. He's been very clingy of late and we'd attributed it it HIS mood, not ours. Interesting point.

He's granted a lot more freedom than her dog is, including spending time on the porch with us last night as trick or treaters came by. At first he was aggressive, but calmed down and did very well quickly after we made it clear that scaring the kids was not an option. (At one point, a parent made a somewhat snide remark to her kid -- dressed as a fireman -- that we had an unauthorized fire pit in the front yard. I simply corrected her and gestured towards Tango saying "yes, and that's why we have a firedog standing watch".)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:43 am

Tango misses Frankie the cat.

Return to “Webderlanders”