David Loftus redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: bottles, for your information, in Germany we take empty bottles back to the store. There's a pretty general €0.25 ($0.30) deposit on plastic and 0.15 on glass and smaller plastic. Aluminium containers are not very common.

Jan

Re: David Loftus redux

Postby Jan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:32 am

Is this you??

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:42 am

Yes, it is! Where did you see this printed?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Since the cutline is entirely erroneous -- it's blocking that was not only called for in the script (the character hops up on a chair for a drunken yell, but I chose the table since the chairs on stage were all too rickety and small) but I fully executed in the performance -- I'm beginning to suspect that you cooked up this bogus news photo yourself, Jan.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:11 pm

Put that boy on a surf board. Hang ten davie.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:26 pm

We started blocking the whipping scene in "The King and I" last night. Boy, is that intense. I'm trying to decide whether my character (the villain in the play, to the extent there is one, although he never gets to hold the whip) actually looks forward to the whipping or not.

I always appreciate it if you guys will periodically visit the blog for which I try to write a few times a week:

http://www.americancurrents.com/

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:07 pm

David Loftus wrote:Since the cutline is entirely erroneous -- it's blocking that was not only called for in the script (the character hops up on a chair for a drunken yell, but I chose the table since the chairs on stage were all too rickety and small) but I fully executed in the performance -- I'm beginning to suspect that you cooked up this bogus news photo yourself, Jan.

Our Jan is stealthy but deadly. And funny too, in the good way. :)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:23 pm

David Loftus wrote:[snips]...I always appreciate it if you guys will periodically visit the blog for which I try to write a few times a week:

Wow. I remember the story about the kid who was set on fire. Apparently he stunned his doctors with his "I'm gonna' get through this" fighting attitude.

Have you read any testimony by his attackers? I mean, why would you plan to set someone on fire? They had to buy the alcohol, and get a lighter -- doesn't get much more premeditated than that. Well, ok, so it does, but I mean, for a 15 year old!

Did the other kids have a history of behavioural problems? Were they into lighting fires and torturing cats as kids? Those are the two main symptomatic predictors of sociopathic behaviour as adults.

Good follow up to a sad story.

My condolences to you and your wife on the loss of your friend. As Sweet Honey in the Rock sang, "Death, You's a Mean Old Thing". :(
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:34 am

Part 4 of my Great Recycling Saga:

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:42 am

Interesting -- I had never considered the need to crush bottles as they were submitted (cans, yes, just not the bottles).

And nice touch about the roses at the end.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:45 am

A meditation on the luxury of mourning:

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:18 pm

My children's theater production of "Aladdin" (in which I play both Snodgrass, Genie of the Ring, and Bubba, Genie of the Lamp), opens with two performances tomorrow. I have six shows of "Aladdin" and five shows of "The King and I" this week; obviously, I'll be doing two of one and one of the other on several days (Thursday and Saturday). I'm working hard for the (paltry) money.

I realized that in a "career" involving about 26 plays and 37 characters over the years, I've never had to wear a wig onstage before; but in "Aladdin" I wear two -- a white fright wig for Snodgrass and an even bigger black fright wig (think Tommy Lee of Mötley Crüe) for Bubba.

Will try to get one or both suitably formatted for my new avatar. . . .

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:41 pm

I did a video audition yesterday that you might find amusing. . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF3fcRLQ5Vs

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:56 am

Now, that's an audition. I think you've definitely got some talent there, Dave. You're a rather distinguished fellow. You know, if they ever did a biopic on Nehru, I'd say you could nail the part. My Dad saw Nehru at the University of Chicago back in the late 40's and felt he was a very impressive fellow.

By the way, Nehru had no security then, no bodyguards. He simply walked among the students after his talk. How things have changed.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:40 am

I got a terrific compliment from a sometime filmmaker friend of mine after he saw yesterday afternoon's show of "The King and I." He said I had an "American Alan Rickman" quality.

Return to “Webderlanders”