David Loftus redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Gwyneth M905

Re: David Loftus redux

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:28 pm

David, :) you're amazing! I wish I could be .0025% as productive as you are! Kudos on your accomplishments and break a leg on your upcoming shows! :)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:19 pm

It's not that hard when you don't have a day job to get in the way, Gwyneth.

Our finances are dwindling (especially after $1500 of vet bills the past month to attack Pixie's cancer) and paying acting jobs have been few and far between, so I have accepted a two- or three-month temp assignment for April-June which will tie up my days again. It'll be sort of a relief to take orders and have a set routine, rather than having to hustle for something to do every minute -- but it'll be nice to know it won't last, either. Showering and dressing for work at an early hour gets old fast.

Meanwhile, I had my first audition of the season for "Leverage." It was a one-line role ("Businessman #1) for the intro to the second episode of next season. I saw other hopefuls I thought looked more suitable for the part, and I don't really want this one terribly much. I'd like to get something more substantial and interesting. My hope is that they'll see me and say, hey, he's not quite right for this role, but what about that other one we'll be looking to fill. . . .?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:44 pm

it took a moment for me to realize the continuity problem you noted earlier (" If they didn't recognize me from this episode, then I would not be prevented from getting a speaking walk-on in the new season."), but this latest could offer a reccuring bit, if not only their apparent interest in your work .

best of luck, either way david.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:23 pm

I agree with Mike's post, David. I will tell you from experience that the day job does not equal the true artist. Take the temp gig and enjoy -- knowing you can get out and do the acting gig. As I've noted before, that's your true calling.

One friend of ours, who is a talented actress and even nailed herself a regular role in a short-lived network series, moved from acting into casting and other film-industry roles. Cris intermingles her musical chores with graphic design work for labels and bands. Part of the gig, pun fully intended.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:35 pm

This afternoon is the final one of our six performances of "King Lear." It's been a good, if short, run. Last night we were especially firing on all cylinders, with a lot of colleagues and friends (and even a budding Shakespeare scholar; she had her own Shakespeare company here in Portland in the 90s, and is finishing up her Ph.D. dissertation right now) in the audience.

I auditioned for a production of "The King and I" yesterday afternoon, and for the role of a homeless man in a Web series pilot. Whether the latter takes off or not, a little footage of me on the street with several days' growth of beard will be a welcome switch from my usual gang of shrinks and movie producer.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey David

While I'm here and thinking about it, mind answering a question or two?

If you could create your dream role, what would it be, and why would you want to play it

And, by the same token, which all ready created role would you most want to play and why?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Couldn't begin to answer your first question, Lori, except in the most general way. Someone who makes a long and arduous journey, through many changes of situation and possibly even of personality, with hard decisions.

Which already-created role? Gosh, I always wanted to play Edgar in "King Lear" (he not only grows tremendously throughout the story but gets to play two, three, or more characters in the course of it), but now I'm probably too old.

To be honest, I haven't seen or read that many plays to be able speak very knowledgeably about roles that I'd be good for and would want to play.

Someday I'd love to play Lear himself. Tonight, after weeks of riding to and from rehearsals in a Toyota Camry stuffed with four and sometimes five bodies, I got to ride home with just the actor who played Lear at the wheel. He said many actors have said playing Lear is like climbing a big mountain; he would beg to differ, slightly. He said it was more like falling down a mountain. You start the play on top of the world and then you start falling down it. And every time you think you've got a handle on it, your feet slip out from under you and you're falling again. I didn't get to ask him whether he meant that more in terms of being the character or playing it.

Maybe I'll think about your question some more.

Had two auditions yesterday afternoon. One was for a production of "The King and I" that I felt really good about; musical auditions are especially hard, but I did everything I needed to and had very good interactions with the auditors. The other was for a bit appearance as a homeless man in a pilot for a Web series. I have my doubts that it will catch fire as such, but to get some video of me on the street with a few days' growth of beard would be a nice contrast to my usual shrinks and movie producer.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:09 pm

I landed the role in "The King and I." It's the nonsinging, nondancing (just as well; my left knee seems to be going out) but very meaty role of the King's conservative counselor, the Kralahome -- basically, a haughty if genteel asshole who is constantly warning against pernicious Western influences. Should be fun.

Also landed the homeless man role. As I said, the project probably won't amount to much, but my footage will be a nice contrast to my usual professional men roles.

A video editor is putting the finishing touches on my first-ever demo reel -- short clips of my work for the purpose of attracting more work. They're still called "reels" even though they're all digital nowadays. Mine should be uploaded onto YouTube in a day or two, and then you'll all be able to get a look at some of my recent shenanigans.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:02 am

Bad news first: That's not acting. Look at my Panto video again.
Other comments: When the animated characters appear, who can tell so quickly who you are? - I'd have moved the latter clip, where you're solo, to near the front - it's great. (The multi-character clip is absolutely dispensable.) - Quick fix: put a "who's who" subtitle under the multi-character scene. (Easy.)
The last bit, "what have I done?", looks like a good source for clips. Why almost nothing else from the stage? That's a crime. (The sound could be improved easily, if necessary.)
The "story time" clip is a lot of fun, so is Words Words Words.
The movie producer's office scene suffers from behind-the-scenes amateur-itis. I guess you needed an authority figure in the mix, but I'd have looked for another clip of this character.
Everything else is so-so, nothing meaty. I'd definitely put in more stage work next time. One reason is that it takes more to be cast in a decent play than in the average amateur movie. Film students produce millions of them.

David Loftus

Re:

Postby David Loftus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:26 am

Jan wrote:I'd definitely put in more stage work next time. One reason is that it takes more to be cast in a decent play than in the average amateur movie. Film students produce millions of them.

But that's the thing. A demo reel is intended to scare up paying video work, not stage jobs.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:29 am

David

I'm not an actor by any stretch of thought, but if I may add my two and a half cents.

Hitting your mark, voice projection and the general ability to play a character are a part of both stage acting and video work right?

SO, show those off to the best of your ability!!

And if you need to add more stage work to showcase those, the so be it.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm

I already announced this over on the "Whatcha Reading?" thread on Pop Culture, but figured I should copy it over here, for the record.

I just won 100 British pounds this morning for my book profile of Something Wicked This Way Comes, which you can find here:

http://www.bookdrum.com/books/something ... index.html

There are links to review, setting, glossary, author bio, and summary, but you'll probably find Bookmarks of most interest.

My second profile, of Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being, is here:

http://www.bookdrum.com/books/the-unbea ... index.html

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Shaping up to be a busy summer. Not only am I doing "The King and I," but I'll be playing the Genie in a children's theater production of "Aladdin" in mid July.

I've decided to profile _Catch-22_ and _Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?_ next on Book Drum. But I'm gonna take a lot more time with them.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Do you realize you have to put on weight for the Genie? It's a good way to spend the 100 pounds usefully.

Return to “Webderlanders”