Time Intersellar Article

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

linuxguru1968

Time Intersellar Article

Postby linuxguru1968 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:39 pm

In the current November 2014 Time Magazine paper edition - yes, the paper version is still around. LOL ;)
There is an article about the new move Interstellar. On page 43 at the top is a statement
in large print: "There is no reason you should care about the universe. For one thing, it
doesn't care one whit about you." This seems pretty similar to a quote from HE in his
youtube video on God: "Harlan Ellison on God", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le-vDxmIKOI
at 49 seconds. Am I tripping or what?

Steve Evil

Re: Time Intersellar Article

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:34 pm

Just saw that movie this afternoon, and highly enjoyed it; though I thought the ending just a bit too clean. . .

linuxguru1968

Postby linuxguru1968 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:18 am

I haven't seen it yet. I'll probably wait until it comes out on Redbox and
play it at my next gay drug sex party. Just kidding - I don 't do that - anymore. LOLL
I hope it's not like the more recent space based video games( aka CGI movies ) -
long on stunning effects short on story.

Avatar was Pocahontas in space. Battleship was Pearl Harbor
with aliens. The only recent one that's was any good, IMHO,
was Cowboys and Aliens. Special effects and rotten short were
overwhelmed by brilliant dark performances by Harrison Ford
and Vincent Craig which made it fascinating to watch.

I am still wondering if the quote was lifted from HE.
If so, you think they could have thrown in something original like a telepathic
android dog. LOL ;)

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:24 am

The Time magazine cover has stuck in my mind, even though I haven't read the article. I waited a while to see Interstellar, and think I'll see it once again on the big screen. It resonates with me even more in hindsight. John Lithgow's character has some great lines.

sonyamorris

Postby sonyamorris » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:57 am

It is nice article and i read the article.Many these types of article are avaialble on the internet and custom essay wriitng service.Differenrt types of tutorials also available on the different resources.These article is very interesting and helpful.

Complex

Postby Complex » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:12 pm

I guess in the movie "Interstellar" it turns out that universe cares for you so just keep pumping those pollutants because God... I mean universe will save us as long as we grow corn, play baseball and read Bible like they do in the movie although they are on the verge of ecological collapse.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:30 am

I think time and space are running differently in here.

Complex

Postby Complex » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:45 am

Tim Raven wrote:I think time and space are running differently in here.

Well how would you interpret the movie? We see people dying on the planet that has become hostile due to pollution and instead of finding a solution they just grow corn, play baseball and read the Bible and get awarded by the universe to build space-stations in order live the rednecky way of life for ever and ever.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Complex, I haven't seen the movie yet. I was referring to the strange posting atmosphere in this particular forum spot. But now that I'm here, I'm guessing that Interstellar involved a ruined Earth, a desperate search to find a replacement, and then once the replacement was found, the old habits of destruction begin again?

Tim

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:16 am

SPOILERS

Tim
That's essentially the theme of the film.

Complex
The core note of the film is that we HAVE tried coming up with solutions and alternatives. We've lay waste to the world and rather than die out we chose to move on to the next evolutionary step. Yes, there are huge plot holes. (Why are all edible plants dying on Earth but we are evidently able to grow them in space?) (How did the future kind exist when McConnoughy and Company would never have had the wormhole in the original timeline. Cause and effect.)

But those things noted, it was a fun and fascinating three hour intelligent film which didn't disrespect me with flashy battles with alien robots in place of characters and plot.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Complex

Postby Complex » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Steve, note that this is a real problem yes REAL deadly, killer pollution will get to us and there will be no God or other wizard to save us. This is happening right now and millions of people are dying fast or slower death because of it and there are people out there that are exploiting it to make stupid Hollywood movies instead of realistic inspirational movies with real solutions.

The truth is there is a solution to pollution and a way to clean the world and make it a paradise and it's trough scientific way, just as once Gene Roddenberry imagined it. A solution not only to global warming caused by anthropogenic emissions of carbon dioxide, but also to the depletion of fossil fuels and to the wars in the Middle East related to our dependence on their supply of oil.
The solution is the rapid development of hydrogen fusion energy. This energy source is inexhaustible (it is seawater); no greenhouse gases are emitted; and the dangers of nuclear power are avoided. If someone high in power in US was actually thinking about future we would see an Apollo 11-type program can bring fusion online in time to stabilize climate change before it is too late.

The International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor, ITER, is being supported by seven nations representing more than half the world’s population. Costing some $22 billion and located in France, it will test sustainability of a fusion reaction – a continuous “burn.” It is to be completed in early 2020s and operate for ten years or more. Another large machine will be needed simultaneously to solve engineering problems not included in the ITER project.
After that, the first power-producing fusion reactor, DEMO, is planned, but not before the year 2050. The path is clear, but the rate of progress is limited by financial resources. In the USA, fusion has been ignored by both the public and Congress, mainly because of the lack of information about this highly technical subject. People just do not understand what fusion is and how important it is. Books have been written light-heartedly dismissing fusion as pure fantasy. The fact is that progress on fusion reactors has been steady and spectacular.

And when will we see a movie about that? About nuclear fusion and people actually cleaning up air, oceans and even their own surroundings relieving it of garbage. We could even have so much energy to transform matter itself like plastic into what ever we want so that there would be no depletion of ore of any kind.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:55 am

magazine:

Couldn't access the entire article online or even find the particular issue of Time in my local library just yet.

movie:

I didn't take away a "redneck" (loaded word, by the way) element from the film or the idea that humankind was necessarily going to repeat the exploitation of resources in their new synthetic environs. I came away with the optimistic thought that man began thinking about solutions to survive, although Earth had become trashed. 6 billion humans on an unsustainable planet was discussed.

The film reminds me of some of the science/speculative fiction that was out there in the 1970s. There are homages in the film, good ones -- even in the music cues. Stupid Hollywood film? Hardly. I don't think so, Complex.

The "values" discussed alone makes Interstellar a worthy film.

Complex

Postby Complex » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:37 am

Ha ha ha! What values? People are just happy it's not a Michel Bay movie - that's it's value. It is a stupid Hollywood movie and shares values of those movies like "2012" and "War of The Worlds" where whole world needs to get destroyed in order that one stupid american family gets together.
Also bringing God (or whatever higher power) brings an extra dimension of stupidity in this and that's because it brings meaning into pollution. That all this pollution we are making is actually good and spiritual because it's bringing us closer to God, just like Sarah Palin SNL spoof says "Global warming is just God hugging us harder". And then with this messianic figure, the anointed one, that goes to God and sends messages to people and comes back trough resurrection.

Speaking about movies in past decades... It's like there was a movie in the 80's about AIDS where let's say in the movie 90% of people has AIDS and they all do nothing to find a cure or prevent it but instead some guy starts getting supernatural messages and goes to space to meet God to bring messages to the people trough the love he has with his daughter. So he comes back trough resurrection and finds out that 1% of people survived. The ones that listened to his message and they don't have AIDS because there is love and there is sex. Love is pure and sex is sin and those who followed the path of love and commandments survived and finally society is purified and will live forever.
Same with pollution - so what if there are hundreds of millions of people that are dying from it, that can't even breathe the clean air, that have cancers - because there is love and that' bigger feeling then humans themselves, that's Godlike and certainly the universe will not stand and let those kind of beings die! No there is a special place for those especially for corn growing, baseball playing, bible reading Americans they are the chosen ones.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:50 am

Values covered in Interstellar: invention, taking care of your things, adaptation, love.

I believe you're missing many of the points of this film. You seem angry there, Complex.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:21 am

Complex -- I have to completely disagree with your assessment that Interstellar is a stupid film. I kind of wonder what it was you were expecting to find, but it's a film that actually does posit some difficult questions, and doesn't speak down to the audience.

(If films like Interstellar are stupid to you, I have to wonder what, if anything, you would find to be an intelligent film.)

Personally, I see almost no relation between the huckster "let's dazzle the audiences with bitchin' special effects" films like 2012 and War of the Worlds and the approach taken with Interstellar. Add in Avatar and others if you like. It's just not in the same category at all. Interstellar was anything BUT an action/adventure film. The film *I* saw had thoughtful, long passages, and an effective rendering of a world gone to waste -- with a plausible, if overwrought, explanation. The world wasn't dying from one instant calamity, but over generations and generations in a dismal and decaying way. No tsunamis, no crack in the world (though these did occur on OTHER worlds), and no angry, vengeful demonic aliens to contend with. We, humanity, were the villains and the saviors both. And that was a major point. What kid our basic nature? There's no easy answer.

(I might note that God is not the acting entity in the film, it's future humanity -- if you missed that point it's possible you missed others. Yes, the simple paradox of how humanity evolved to the super entities running the wormhole if there was no original wormhole is a basic -- but many of the best examples of SF have one core nut that you have to swallow to enjoy the rest of the story. Warp drive, etc...)

I'm startled you belittle the film by labeling it stupid. And you're finding religious allegory where I found nothing of the sort, unless you want to worship future humanity...and nobody in the film does that. Yes, the tale of a struggle for enlightenment often is told in a religious context, but here you're not bludgeoned over the head with this as an interpretation.

Interstellar is a film about redemption, a classic core story in mythology and literature. Of families, yes -- characterizations which do not get sold off cheap in order to show you cool little spaceships. The film fleshes the characters out nicely, and gives them an understandable motivation. Nearly every character has a personal motivation based upon a familial connection. It isn't about saving mankind, it's about saving their families. Their loved ones. The grand story of human salvation gives way in favor of the more intimate one: personal salvation.

The values in this film are easily spotted, whether you agree with them or not. It's a simplistic comment to reduce the entirety of your experience and assessment to "it's stupid".

You may not have liked the film, but mocking it for stupidity when it comes across to a lot of people -- intelligent ones like Neil Degrasse Tyson -- as far more serious and intelligent than most films in the genre, is difficult to understand.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”