Be...excellent...to each other.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

AndrewR

Re: Be...excellent...to each other.

Postby AndrewR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Steve Barber wrote:Andrew, you unwittingly hit upon my greatest concern and Keeney beat me to the punch in addressing. I don't agree with Frank on all things. In fact, on a lot of them. But it is essential as moderator that you try to read things with a neutral interpretation and try to understand the intent, not just the words. I've not always been successful, but everyone here at some point or another has gotten the benefit of my doubt.

But telling people what they can and cannot post -- and I agree with the two rules: stay on topic and no personal attacks -- does not allow for me telling anyone they're posting too much on a given subject. If they wander egregiously I will put them back on track, but going after someone and deleting posts because you think they posted too often, or off topic, is not how we roll.

Particularly since a great number of the posts people object to from Frank are in Frank's News thread. I give wide latitude to such threads -- which includes Robert's Culture Cafe, your own Visual Artist's Corner, and Steve Evil's "The Sounds of Evil" thread. If Frank hits on politics too often in his news thread, don't read his news thread. Simple, done.

But I am certainly not comfortable with the idea of deleting someone's posts to show them they're posting too often, or off topic.

My two (unofficial) cents.

I think I've been misinterpreted here, so maybe I should have been a bit clearer. (I tried to clear up the intent in my reply)

The usual recourse for off topic posts is to move them to a looser "soapbox" thread. Attacks should excised and the poster should be warned.

I was trying to suggest a course of action for Frank if he's concerned about being singled out. It's necessary to minimize personal bias and I don't think that I'd suggest otherwise.

Sorry if I came off as harsh. 'Twas unintentional.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:42 pm

I also think we should probably establish a protocol when someone disagrees with a moderator's actions. Perhaps establish a complaints/issues thread wherein one could appeal a decision or ask for clarification?
Andrew Rogers

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:07 pm

That's what the Private Message function is for. Or at least that is why I've always used it for.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:That's what the Private Message function is for. Or at least that is why I've always used it for.

Which is all well and good, but I think that maybe there should be some transparency.
Andrew Rogers

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:49 pm

AndrewR wrote:
Lori Koonce wrote:That's what the Private Message function is for. Or at least that is why I've always used it for.

Which is all well and good, but I think that maybe there should be some transparency.

And again, we have posters limiting their activities for fear of "outing".

If a person has an issue, and it's valid, the Moderators have to act without betraying that confidence. Too much transparency and people flee the building.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Steve Barber wrote:
AndrewR wrote:

And again, we have posters limiting their activities for fear of "outing".

If a person has an issue, and it's valid, the Moderators have to act without betraying that confidence. Too much transparency and people flee the building.

Why not do both? There's nothing to preclude posters from sending a PM to a mod if they're concerned about "outing".
Andrew Rogers

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:50 pm

Tell me again why we can't delete our own posts? I forgot, and wish we could.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05 pm

You can, just not after there's a reply to it. After there are replies the delete function goes away.
Andrew Rogers

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:22 am

Tell me again why we can't delete our own posts? I forgot, and wish we could.
Because in antiquity, upon deciding to leave the Forums, Barney went back and methodically deleted ALL of his posts - numbering in the hundreds - Swiss-cheesing a number of conversations into unintelligibility. After that, the delete function was removed; it was later reinstated in a limited fashion to allow for retraction/immediate revision of a post, until the next post in a thread is made.

(What frightens me is that there are still brain cells devoted to this sort of historical minutiae, while some days I have to do the math just to remember how old I am.)

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:25 am

Rick Keeney wrote:Tell me again why we can't delete our own posts? I forgot, and wish we could.

You are correct, and I am a dolt. Lordy, the trouble I coulda saved me.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:28 am

FinderDoug wrote:(What frightens me is that there are still brain cells devoted to this sort of historical minutiae, while some days I have to do the math just to remember how old I am.)

You'll need Tiahne-2 for that calculation, dawg.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:45 am

Rick Keeney wrote:Tell me again why we can't delete our own posts? I forgot, and wish we could.

If you have specifics, I can do that for you.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:41 pm

What we need is the power to delete other people's posts...or even more dastardly...heh heh heh...edit them...BWAHAHAHAHAHA...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:What we need is the power to delete other people's posts...or even more dastardly...heh heh heh...edit them...BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

Howzabout a Banksy plug-in that we could use to deface posts with graffiti style art? :mrgreen:
Andrew Rogers

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:49 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:What we need is the power to delete other people's posts...or even more dastardly...heh heh heh...edit them...BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

You have no idea how much willpower it took not to mess with this. :twisted:

On topic, however, I tend to agree with the function of the board which doesn't enable editing or deletion. Doug alluded to it above in that being able to edit would enable people to fire off insults and aggressive posts, then edit them and deny doing so. It keeps us all honest, and discourages abuse of the boards.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”