Be...excellent...to each other.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Keeney

just me

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:19 pm

I was thinking something anonymous (even though we know who you are) a "Moderator" badge.

As it is right now, folks will have a problem knowing who is laying down the law and who is simply laying an egg.

One Barber, One Moderator

What I was trying to say.

Lori Koonce

Re: Be...excellent...to each other.

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:20 pm

Dear Mayor McBarber

I think that you and President Wyatt should come up with a list of rules that you are both willing to enforce and then let us discuss em till we come to some sort of consensus.

Truly yours

Lori L. Koonce

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:30 pm

All -

Do we really need to differentiate Mod/not mod posts for the moderators? All of the moderated communities I belong to have a "moderator" tag attached to the user type. Most of the boards use "Moderator", "Member", and "Subscriber" to differentiate between types and the mods don't use alternate persona when commenting. It's usually pretty clear by context what "hat" they are wearing. This scenario works well and reduces complication.

Steve / Rick -

I'm still willing to undertake some moderation responsibilities if you're interested. We've got the first week of kindergarten under our belts here, so I should be a bit for free for the time being.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Lori - Yes, codifying the rules is only fair.

Andrew - Yes, still quite interested in the support. We need to work out some logistics.

Stay tuned. On both counts.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Steve Barber wrote:Lori - Yes, codifying the rules is only fair.

Andrew - Yes, still quite interested in the support. We need to work out some logistics.

Stay tuned. On both counts.

I've offered my assistance too. Not sure how I can help.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:51 am

One other thing.

Barber cannot be here 24/7. I think we need at least one, preferably more, person to monitor the board and report to hi. On a regular basis.

This way he can be aware of all the potential problems and deal with them in a timely manner. I believe this would keep the interpersonal tension to a minimum and make his job a bit easier.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:07 am

Lori Koonce wrote:One other thing.

Barber cannot be here 24/7. I think we need at least one, preferably more, person to monitor the board and report to hi. On a regular basis.

This way he can be aware of all the potential problems and deal with them in a timely manner. I believe this would keep the interpersonal tension to a minimum and make his job a bit easier.

Lori,

That's what Chuck and I have offered (Keeney too I believe). I think we've got a few details to hash out, but it's gonna happen at some point. It should make things better for all concerned. :)
Andrew Rogers

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:14 am

AndrewR wrote:
Lori Koonce wrote:One other thing.

Lori,

That's what Chuck and I have offered (Keeney too I believe). I think we've got a few details to hash out, but it's gonna happen at some point. It should make things better for all concerned. :)

If you want a female on the team, let me know. One side benefit to SSI is not having to work.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:12 pm

I do know that some of you have an anti me bias. You have to have a blindfold on when moderating. I bruise easily.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:23 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I do know that some of you have an anti me bias. You have to have a blindfold on when moderating. I bruise easily.

Stay on topic and no one gets bent out of shape.

I'd also try to avoid flogging dead horses and drive-by postings. I think that we're going to be less tolerant of all of these things no matter who the poster is. If you find that your posts are getting flagged or removed at an elevated rate, perhaps it's an indication that you need to think before posting.

Personal attacks intentional or unintentional will not be tolerated.

Oh, and fewer posts like the one I've quoted would be helpful too.
Andrew Rogers

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:32 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I do know that some of you have an anti me bias. You have to have a blindfold on when moderating. I bruise easily.

No. No. No.

It's your behavior. Which has yet to change much. You've been asked questions twice in the past couple days. Questions you don't answer. That's aggravating behavior because it's not conversational. Also you've claimed to use rules of order in your discourse here, a patently false statement.

So change. Answer questions, Frank. And don't play the martyr.

AndrewR wrote:
Stay on topic and no one gets bent out of shape.

I'd also try to avoid flogging dead horses and drive-by postings. I think that we're going to be less tolerant of all of these things no matter who the poster is. If you find that your posts are getting flagged or removed at an elevated rate, perhaps it's an indication that you need to think before posting.

Personal attacks intentional or unintentional will not be tolerated.

Oh, and fewer posts like the one I've quoted would be helpful too.

That sounds like policing, Andrew. Unless you know something I don't.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Not intended as such really. I personally don't care one whit about the content so long as it stays on topic and isn't a personal attack.

Drive by postings are usually off topic asides that do nothing to further the discussion at hand.

The usual recourse for off topic posts is to move them to a looser "soapbox" thread. Attacks should excised and the poster should be warned.

My intent is to a benevolent Demi-god and not an asshole. :-)
Andrew Rogers

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Keeney, admit it, my politics bugs you?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:46 pm

I take that back.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Andrew, you unwittingly hit upon my greatest concern and Keeney beat me to the punch in addressing. I don't agree with Frank on all things. In fact, on a lot of them. But it is essential as moderator that you try to read things with a neutral interpretation and try to understand the intent, not just the words. I've not always been successful, but everyone here at some point or another has gotten the benefit of my doubt.

But telling people what they can and cannot post -- and I agree with the two rules: stay on topic and no personal attacks -- does not allow for me telling anyone they're posting too much on a given subject. If they wander egregiously I will put them back on track, but going after someone and deleting posts because you think they posted too often, or off topic, is not how we roll.

Particularly since a great number of the posts people object to from Frank are in Frank's News thread. I give wide latitude to such threads -- which includes Robert's Culture Cafe, your own Visual Artist's Corner, and Steve Evil's "The Sounds of Evil" thread. If Frank hits on politics too often in his news thread, don't read his news thread. Simple, done.

But I am certainly not comfortable with the idea of deleting someone's posts to show them they're posting too often, or off topic.

My two (unofficial) cents.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”