Be...excellent...to each other.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

AndrewR

Re: Be...excellent...to each other.

Postby AndrewR » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Keendawg wrote:Has there been more dialogue here about the challenge Rick has placed before us?

I can't speak for everyone, but I think that we've hit the pause button due to this week's heartbreak. I'm sure there are still some details left to work out.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Keendawg

Postby Keendawg » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:54 pm

AndrewR wrote:
Keendawg wrote:Has there been more dialogue here about the challenge Rick has placed before us?

I can't speak for everyone, but I think that we've hit the pause button due to this week's heartbreak. I'm sure there are still some details left to work out.

Yes, that makes sense.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:32 am

Keendawg in da house.

Keendawg

Thanks Rick

Postby Keendawg » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for fixing the Pav, Rick. I had trouble with that for days.

Must be one of those pains in the ass you referred to.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:18 pm

The last response I made, a little while ago, specifically to something Frank said, has given me pause.

I had to work hard not to be completely dismissive and irascible. I try to be evenhanded, fair, and as open as possible, but lately it seems I've been putting my foot in my mouth, reacting badly, and overall failing to live up to my own standards. I could cop to being under a lot of stress (I am) and a persistent series of illnesses (there have been) and a basic lack of enthusiasm for much of what I do (there is) and all of that might explain a shortness of temper and lack of patience. Donna's parents have been melting down over the course of the last year and this has heaped a load of necessary but unwanted crap on our plate which we've been dealing with well enough but it's taking a toll. I'm continuing to have a frustrating time career-wise and over the last five months I've hurt myself physically three times, resulting in annoying impairments and an inability to indulge one of my big stress-relievers, i.e. working out. Now in the last couple of weeks we've had a number of unfortunate events that have soured the zeitgeist, one of which happened practically in my back yard, and along with all that the concomitant dealings with morons and shitheads, both online and in the flesh. I'm behind on a couple of major projects and several things are threatening to go pear-shaped and I can't seem to allocate the necessary energy and resources to just manage it all. (I say "seem to" and I mean that---I am managing, things are getting done, but it doesn't feel that way.)

All of which has bent my attitude lately and I feel that I have been unusually surly and insensitive, not just here. If I have offended anyone, I apologize. This is one of the best places I come to visit on the internet and I don't wish to make a mess. That said, I think I'm going to stay away for a little while, till I get a handle on things and feel less put-upon. Some distance, some perspective, might help. Now that things have started improving here, I do not wish to be in any way responsible for undoing the good work.

I'll be back and it may only be a week, but it might be more. Thank you in advance for understanding. Take care.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:26 pm

Mark, read what Harlan just wrote. That should make your whole day, it made mine. What's odd is I'm the clumsiest guy on planet rock and I never get hurt. I am fifty and have never broken a bone. I haven't gotten a cut in months. Sheer luck on my part. Exercise is the best way to deal with pain. Come back sooner. I know there is a shitstorm, not just there.

We will have lots of rain too, so don't think it's the only place with dreary skies.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Does anyone know where Nason is?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:37 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Does anyone know where Nason is?

Off topic, but I am troubled as well. His posts here, on Facebook and on his blog have all stopped.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:06 pm

Assuming it was the same person there was a posting from Robert over at the Pavilion on Monday, August 11 2014 16:59:20. There is an email address with the post. That's the problem with places like this. Unless the person is personally known to you it's easy to lose track.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:14 am

When things return to some semblance of normalcy here, this is what we'll be working on this, correct?

I'm anxious to see what we can do.

admin wrote:For this community to be a friendly place will require that a few of you give 10% of what he has and continues to give, and that all of you collectively agree to be supportive. Despite it all, I want this place to be around and I want it to thrive. When things are good, it is a fascinating exchange of ideas. You guys are some of the smartest and best critical thinkers around.

But many of the best Ellison scholars and personal friends won't come here any more because they consider it poisonous. And Doug is the last straw. I will not have another man like that hurt on my watch. It's not acceptable. Find me a path where that does not happen again, and I will take it. If no one cares enough to even try, then I really feel like I would be making the right decision in shutting it down.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 am

Introducing my new stage persona.

As per Keendawg's suggestion, I'm delineating between personal (me) and Moderator (Barber) posts. Not super kicked in the head with the avatar yet, but working on that.

Howdy.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:20 pm

Don't like it, too corporate. :)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Barber & Steve Barber, Keeney & Keendawg...doooooohhhh...my head is spinning...

daisy daisy...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Ezra don' worry. I am still moi.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Dandy Diane we could accept. :)

Return to “General”