Be...excellent...to each other.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Keeney

Re: Be...excellent...to each other.

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:46 am

I disagree. Lurking is completely acceptable with me. I think those who choose to remain silent are the least of our problems.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:13 am

My lower back is jacked up and spasms over my spinal fusion surgery site when I try to sit at the computer, or really when I try to do anything anywhere. And also when I don't move at all. So I'm gonna let you guys talk but I appreciate the replies and kind words. I'm probably going to stay out of this for the most part anyway other than to answer questions.

All I want to add is that I *am* open to having threads or forums where there are different rules (more or less restricted, etc).

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:20 am

Post deleted by Moderator for being argumentative and outside the scope of this thread.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:20 am

I should not have said that.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:39 am

FrankChurch wrote:I should not have said that.

Then...why did you?

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 am

he had some pie in his eye, mark?
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:08 am

Keeney, Frank, cynic. Unless you're trying to demonstrate exactly the sort of sniping Wyatt and I are objecting to, please knock it off.

Or do you want the boards gone?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:37 am

Yes, Sir.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:52 am

In the interim while we get this madhouse in order I'd suggest the following:

- See a post that's baiting you or others? Ignore it. If it's really terrible then flag it for potential removal. Responding to it only starts a feedback loop that puts us back to where we started.

- Massively off-topic? Flag it for removal or to have it moved to an appropriate thread.

- Use the preview button before submitting. Not only do you get a chance to proof your post, but you also have an opportunity to perform a gut check (i.e., should I be posting this?). If you've made a mistake or posted something you immediately regret, there's a delete post function that's available for a short while after posting (thought that option disappears after someone replies).

- If the thread has a less general topic, stick to it. Posts that include politically charged content should be made in the appropriate thread/topic.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:36 am

I beg your pardon. I am not sniping.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:43 pm

Rick Keeney wrote:I beg your pardon. I am not sniping.

Doesn't "I beg your pardon" literally mean "I ask your forgiveness?"

I think you are correct about Frank's behavior having to change. But Frank doesn't really *need* to do anything - if he does not behave, he will be shown the door.

Also while I agree with your assessment of Frank, suggesting someone needs to get their "shit together" is likely to engender a hostile response even from the best of friends. Yes, Frank responded to that BB gun with a bazooka. But it's clear provocation. Steve cannot deal with Frank's response without also asking you to not rattle the bars again.

One thing that has to stop before anything else is people taking back to the moderator. When Steve acts in that capacity, responding to him in the thread derails the discussion. Whatever policy goes in play here has to stop that. I'm not saying you did anything wrong here, Rick, because questioning Steve has been standard issue here for a long time. But it is one thing I would definitely need to see changed before taking the DNR order off the forums.

I think it's worth of discussion, though, rather than being done by fiat. While I don't like the idea of having interminable arguments over moderation, I do recognize there is a social element to being censured and I wouldn't want people to not have any public avenue by which to seek redress. There is a difference between asking people to respect a moderator's authority and telling them they cannot question it.

An alternative would be to have a separate thread where people can express whatever issue they have so the ensuring brouhaha doesn't ruin the discussion. That would be up to the particular moderator, I guess.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:06 pm

admin wrote:
Rick Keeney wrote:I beg your pardon. I am not sniping.

Doesn't "I beg your pardon" literally mean "I ask your forgiveness?"

I think you are correct about Frank's behavior having to change. But Frank doesn't really *need* to do anything - if he does not behave, he will be shown the door.

Also while I agree with your assessment of Frank, suggesting someone needs to get their "shit together" is likely to engender a hostile response even from the best of friends. Yes, Frank responded to that BB gun with a bazooka. But it's clear provocation. Steve cannot deal with Frank's response without also asking you to not rattle the bars again.

One thing that has to stop before anything else is people taking back to the moderator. When Steve acts in that capacity, responding to him in the thread derails the discussion. Whatever policy goes in play here has to stop that. I'm not saying you did anything wrong here, Rick, because questioning Steve has been standard issue here for a long time. But it is one thing I would definitely need to see changed before taking the DNR order off the forums.

I think it's worth of discussion, though, rather than being done by fiat. While I don't like the idea of having interminable arguments over moderation, I do recognize there is a social element to being censured and I wouldn't want people to not have any public avenue by which to seek redress. There is a difference between asking people to respect a moderator's authority and telling them they cannot question it.

An alternative would be to have a separate thread where people can express whatever issue they have so the ensuring brouhaha doesn't ruin the discussion. That would be up to the particular moderator, I guess.

Loud and clear.

And you're right. I meant to say, I'm sorry if what I said sounded like sniping. That's my bad.

Good enough. And fair enough.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:35 am

Maybe I can set an example here:

After reading the last thing posted over in Frank's thread, I've decided not ever to go in there again. All I do is get frustrated and angry and I have to walk away from the keyboard before I make an injudicious response. There are other threads here I quite enjoy and do not wish to lose touch with the folks I've met here. So that's my contribution to peace and harmony---staying out of Frank's room. It's his room, he can do whatever he wants in there (unless Rich says otherwise) but I don't have to look.

I feel better already.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks Mark, I wanted to say something similar, but every way I tried, it came out like I wax picking on the poor man.

FWIW, I re read my posts at least once before hitting the submit button. If what I wrote would upset me if directed to me, I won't post it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:11 pm

Now what did I do?

Return to “General”