Robert Nason's Culture Café

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Robert Nason

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Robert Nason » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Thanks, Tim! You're one of the guys I also want to thank for helping me hone my debating and writing skills -- little did you know!

I see that my Maltin piece is already posted on the WSJ web site, under the title "Requiem for a Heavyweight Movie Guide." Thank you, too, Rod Serling, wherever you are.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:56 pm

Excellent, Robert! I hope your two sales are the first of many. Nice to see you break through.

D.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:11 pm

I sold two articles in one month -- my first professonal sales, something I tried to do beginning at the age of 13. I' guess I'm a late-bloomer, but I finally did it. I have a piece appearing in tomorrow's (Friday) Wall Street Journal, on the Opinion page. It's an elegy for the demise of Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide, which I first learned was no longer going to be published in Unca Harlan's Art Deco Pavilion. The other, much longer, article will appear in the November issue of Commentary, about novelist and screenwriter Budd Schulberg. So naturally this is a major milestone for me, and I have you guys to thank, along with Harlan.

That is so cool. Congratulations!

I guess this qualifies you to call yourself a public intellectual.

Hey everybody! Robert's buying!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks, Doug/ I'm already at work on a few new pieces.

Ezra, I'm a LONG way from being a public intellectual. But hey, it's something to shoot for. I'm not someone who sees "intellectual" as a dirty word. And better to be public about your views than private (though you can build up quite a reputation in academia by writing obscurantist books in impenetrable jargon). But the real money, as L. Ron Hubbard figured out, is in starting a new religion. Someone please restrain me if I ever so much as consider such a thing.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:52 am

Robert,

Cool beans. Two thumbs up.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:09 am

Mazel Tov, Robert! Nice to see another success. By the way, you mentioned Harlan's life being in the balance, but the news coming from those who've been visiting him is that he pretty much kicked Death in the balls. He has a long recovery ahead, but I think he'll recover. That's one thing we could all think about -- our blood pressure. Have you all checked yours lately?

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:57 am

Robert -- That's easily the best excuse for an absence I've read in a long time. Excellent news, and well earned.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:45 am

Chuck,

Why, yes, I have. My BP is 122/80. I also had an eye exam when I got my new glasses and I'm told my eyes are as healthy as any 30-year-old's. I also finally got back to the gym and yesterday I did my 2-miles on the tread plus leg-pressed 970 lbs plus flies at 120 lbs. Then I walked the dog and wrote for a while. I still 100 push-ups every morning and I just turned 60. At times, I feel like crap, but in balance I think I'm doing fairly well.

(Or was that a rhetorical question?)

8)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:55 am

Robert - Bravo! Hope they're the first two of many more!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:55 am

Nason, hey.

There are system intellectuals and dissident ones.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:57 am

Russell Brand is a really excellent writer.

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Congratulations, Robert. Looking forward to reading both.
--tr

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:19 pm

I say, good show sir! Well done.. .

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:21 pm

Robert

I agree with Steve, that is one of the finest excuses for a long absence we've ever gotten in these parts.

So, when are you startingt he 21st century Algonquin Roundtable?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Mark Tiedemann wrote:Chuck,

Why, yes, I have. My BP is 122/80. I also had an eye exam when I got my new glasses and I'm told my eyes are as healthy as any 30-year-old's. I also finally got back to the gym and yesterday I did my 2-miles on the tread plus leg-pressed 970 lbs plus flies at 120 lbs. Then I walked the dog and wrote for a while. I still 100 push-ups every morning and I just turned 60. At times, I feel like crap, but in balance I think I'm doing fairly well.

(Or was that a rhetorical question?)

8)

I don't think what I'm going to say is simply wishful thinking because I'm 54, but you know friends, 60 is just not old anymore. We need a new term for that period in our lives when we're not young but we're not old either. "Middle Age" doesn't really seem to cover it.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”