Robert Nason's Culture Café

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

User avatar
Steve Barber
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 am
Contact:

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Steve Barber » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:50 am

FrankChurch wrote:Prince has complete control of all his master tapes. I bet you blokes love that.


Why should he not? He recorded them, he spent the money for them to be made, and he wrote the material ON them.

Seems only appropriate.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann
Posts: 2575
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:52 am

FrankChurch wrote:Records have a warmer sound. The comeback of albums is pretty amazing.


I've had that discussion with a number of audiophiles. Unless we're talking high end equipment average people can't afford, it's nigh on impossible to hear that difference, but even then I think it's questionable. I think a lot of that is pretense. ("My ear is better than yours, and even if it's not my soul is." You want "warmth" get a tube amp and a graphic equalizer. I'll give up a little "warmth" to never again hear the snaps crackles pops that inevitably develop in vinyl or the compression that happens on the last two tracks because of the physics of needle tracking (which can be solved---again---by throwing money at the problem in the form of a Very Expensive turntable). I fell in love with the clarity of CDs when they first came out and I still prefer that to the old analogue spike-in-a-groove method. I don't want to listen to the medium, I want to hear the recording.

User avatar
Ezra Lb.
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:02 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:02 pm

Mark Tiedemann wrote:I like CDs.


When I finish downloading them all onto a hard drive you can have mine. You're gonna love my 14 volume digitally remastered set of Latvian goat herding songs! :D


Records have a warmer sound.

But CDs make better christmas ornaments. String'em up and let the sun catch'em just right and the effect is trippy. Nostalgia aside, the real advantage of the LP is the album cover. CDs just don't offer the same space for great art and dangit the downmload offers no space at all (unless you like your album cover art sent by PDF).


Prince has complete control of all his master tapes.

Yeah but do you know what legal hell he had to go through to get them? Go over to Robert Fripp's site and read what he had to go through to get the King Crimson stuff. The surviving Beatles still don't own a lot of theirs. It's standard industry practice for bands to sign over their publishing and rights to the record companies. There are exceptions but they're the big bands like U2 or REM who have enough commercial clout to push back.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:23 am

China is buying New York.

Mark Tiedemann
Posts: 2575
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:54 am

FrankChurch wrote:China is buying New York.


I'll be worried when they start trying to take it back to Asia.

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Barber, your copyright rant was the most hyperbolic stuff I have ever read. Lots of holes in your logic, but I will leave it there.

Mark Tiedemann
Posts: 2575
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:21 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, your copyright rant was the most hyperbolic stuff I have ever read. Lots of holes in your logic, but I will leave it there.


I would be very interested to see you counter him point by point.

User avatar
FinderDoug
Posts: 1530
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:58 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Frank, I think "hyperbolic" is another one of those words for which you don't understand the meaning.

Nothing Steve said was hyperbolic. The precedent that has been set is very real, and he dealt with it in a very even-handed manner. While this:
China is buying New York.
is blatant hyperbole.

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:38 pm

I copy wrote Hyperbole. :lol:

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Ezra, you venture to Busboys and Poets?

User avatar
Steve Barber
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 am
Contact:

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Steve Barber » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:19 am

Mark Tiedemann wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:Barber, your copyright rant was the most hyperbolic stuff I have ever read. Lots of holes in your logic, but I will leave it there.


I would be very interested to see you counter him point by point.


Yes, Frank.

Take my points on and discredit (not discount) them one by one.

(Over in the Copyright versus Copywrong thread, please.)
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Cenk takes on Harris and Maher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN52CP2_F0U

User avatar
Steve Barber
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 am
Contact:

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Steve Barber » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:52 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Cenk takes on Harris and Maher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN52CP2_F0U


Ducking the dare.

I'm waiting, and getting annoyed in the process. You called me out: defend yourself or back off.

Prove your point. On the correct thread.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

User avatar
Robert Nason
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:50 am
Location: New York City

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Robert Nason » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Lately, every time I post something here, it's an apology for my absence. So here's another one. But I have a reasonably decent excuse. No, the cat didn't eat my homework. I've been busy writing -- and, finally, selling. This is not the best time to be blowing my own horn, given Harlan's serious health issues/ In fact, I only learned of his stroke tonight, and I'm praying as much as I'm capable of praying for him to make a full recovery. Because, to be completely honest, I wouldn't be writing the next announcement if it weren't for him.

I sold two articles in one month -- my first professonal sales, something I tried to do beginning at the age of 13. I' guess I'm a late-bloomer, but I finally did it. I have a piece appearing in tomorrow's (Friday) Wall Street Journal, on the Opinion page. It's an elegy for the demise of Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide, which I first learned was no longer going to be published in Unca Harlan's Art Deco Pavilion. The other, much longer, article will appear in the November issue of Commentary, about novelist and screenwriter Budd Schulberg. So naturally this is a major milestone for me, and I have you guys to thank, along with Harlan.

Why? Because it was the intellectual jousting that I was doing with you -- Steve, Ezra, Mark, Lori, Chuck, Frank, and the rest of the gang -- that got me writing again, first in the Pavilion, then in the various forums, then in my own humble forum (this joint, of course), and finally for the blog I set up over the summer. That led me to think that certain entries I had in mind could easily be articles if I fleshed them out. So I haven't been posting, either here or on my blog, but working on pieces, sending them to magazines, and amazingly gettimg acceptance emails right away. It's happened so quickly that I can hardly believe it's really happening.

As for Harlan, he was the one who, earliler in the year, I believe, answered my question "how do you manage to do it all" with a lengthy response that included the line "Chops. It's having the chops to sit down and do the work, and keep doing it." And the fact that he'd taken me seriously, and even expressed some appreciation for my various stabs at wit, made me think: He's right. You ultimately have to just sit down and do it. If not now when? Get cracking! So I did, and it's turning out better than I could have imagined.

So while Harlan is undergoing a struggle to survive, I'll be thinking of him and how he palpably inspired me, and hope I get the chance to tell him that when he's better. And you guys (and gals) have contributed immensely to this former wannabe finally, after many years, becoming a pro.

Now if only I could iron out the kinks in that short story I've been working on....
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Tim Raven
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Tim Raven » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Robert, that's great news! Congrats on the published work!

Tim


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests