Robert Nason's Culture Café

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby robochrist » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:54 am

Like Bobby Bittman on the SAMMY MAUDLIN SHOW!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:13 am

Robert Nason wrote:Shameless self-promotion: I welcome the good folks here to take a look at my new blog, Robert Nason's Culture Bog, and see what I've been writing about lately. Enjoy!

http://nightwriterblue82.blogspot.com/

Very much like the Bog, Robert. Adding to the list of Blogs We Read over at the Thumbnail Traveler.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:40 am

Robert, to digress here, as Sherlock Holmes is always a fitting distraction for us, I've come across a CURRENT Holmes I think we all missed: a Russian tv series. Russia had one decades ago, in its Soviet days, but they've had a new one running, and I had NO idea! From what I know, their old one was pretty faithful to Doyle's stories; perhaps the most faithful compared anything prior to the Brett series. Visually, however, I'm impressed by the new Russian counterpart, however obvious in its Downey inspirations:

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:47 am

Actually, a correction: I guess this only had a 2013 run.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Steve -- Thank you. You know how these projects are invariably works-in-progress, and I'm learning and ironing out the wrinkles as I go along.

Rob, that Russian Sherlock Holmes sounds fascinating. I'd love to see it. Maybe they can get Putin to do a guest appearance as Professor Moriarty. Typecasting!
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Putin has too big an ego to play Moriarty!

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:16 pm

Robert, I suspect that all we have in common is Ellison and an intense dislike for Putin. So I say Cheers to you and down with that Putin guy. (forgot Sherlock. like him rather a lot too).

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:14 am

Robert -- I added you to my list of "who we read".

Also posted my newest Blog entry: Roadside Attractions

http://thumbnailtraveler.blogspot.com/2014/08/wall-drug.html
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:31 pm

Robert

Question regarding the Bog illustration: is that a Bonestell painting?

Looks similar to, if not exactly like, one I saw in Starlog many decades ago...

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:27 pm

The sad passing of Robin Williams dominated the conversation this week but there were two other deaths of some note we should mark as well.

Lauren Bacal. Yowza. Under the listing in the encyclopedia for smouldering there's a picture of Loren Bacall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv2K62fTXIs

Ed Nelson.

One of those wonderful character actors who if you grew up watching TV in the 60s or 70s you would recognize instantly. He was one of the stars of the late 60s evening soap Peyton Place but I remember him best for the Outer Limits episode, NIghtmare, one of the finest episodes of the original series.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:26 am

Just put your lips together and blow.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Everybody here -- all my good friends and intellectual sparring partners -- please accept my apologies for being absent the past few weeks. August has been unusually hectic for me this year. My oldest friend and former college roommate is visiting New York (he lives in Vienna now), and although he's not saying at my place, he calls an hour before he's coming over to say, "I''m coming over" -- and he does, brining cognac and cigars and the infinite pleasure of his company. My other oldest friend is flying to NY on Thusday and he is going to be staying with me until Sunday night, so I've been cleaning up the place, doing laundry, and attending to a number of domestic problems before he arrives. To wit: The springs in my futon mattress starting poking through (and had already broken through the surface of the other sides and ends, so I had to get a new one, this time one without springs, just cotton and foam, but now I feel the wooden beams pressing up against my tender behind when I sit on it, so I've put flattened cardboard boxes and a towel underneath the mattress until I get a chance to buy a sheet of thin masonite. Then the pilot lite on my stove went dead and wouldn't reignite (that tells you how old it is), so I had to go stove-shopping for the first time in my life, and bought a modest Kosher stove (Kosher because the instruction manuel tells you how to set the stove on "Sabbath mode" -- I'm not kidding -- so the Orthdox can cook meals without actually cooking on the Sabbath. A friend of mine calls the stove a mechanical Shabbas goy, but since I'm not Kosher, all of this is just amusing anecdotage. The stove works, period. I might even be inspired to try cooking something besides eggs and pasta.

In the midst of all this, maintenance men came by at 8:30 in the morning on multiple days to fix cracks in the walls and to repair broken tiles in the bathroom. And I shamefully confess that I've been putting spare time into writing entries for my new blog, which I mentioned here a while back -- but the writing part is easy. It's learning how to format the blog, choose fonts and colors, and most maddening of all, provide links to every name and title I mention (and choosing which color the link is before you click on it, which color it is when you "hover" over it, and which color it is after you've clicked it and returned to the page). At first I was linking names to interesting articles and interviews about the person or book or film in question -- only very rarely did I succumb to linking to a Wikipedia article. But the whole business is so time consuming that I think I'm going to only create links for specific articles or books or films I'm commenting on; I'll assume that if I mention Bogart, people will know who Bogart is. (But these days, you can't really assume anything.) And even after I've posted an entry, I find typos and errors that I rush to correct before someone gets the funny idea that I don't know what I'm talking about. That wouldn't be much fun, not for me, at least.

So again, forgive me for being absent in this cafe which bears my name. The longer I didn't log in, the more I knew I had to read to catch up, which only me delay longer. But I'm really going to read everything that's been posted where since I've been gone. I assume there's been some talk about Robin Williams's sad, awful death, which has haunted me for the past week. I've read the condoences to Harland and Susan in the Pavilion and added some myself -- I can't even begin to imagine how he must be feeling. From what I've read there so far, I have some sense. I can only add that my uncle was diagnosed with Parkinson's at roughly the same age that Robin Williams was, and my uncle, who was an incredibly athletic, vital man -- a total jock in his sixties -- took it very, very hard. I'm aware that the disease affects not only motor coordination but slows up one's mental functioning, so to someone with Williams's physical agility and rapid-fire mind, it must have felt like a death sentence. If you have a history of depression in addition to that, the combination is dreadful.

Anyway, thank you all for keeping the home firest burning. Now that I have a stove, I' hope I manage to cook without creating any fires in my "real" home. But this is home, too, and you folks are family, and I'll try to catch up and be here more often (though my other close friend from college is flying to NY from Atlanta on Thursday and staying until Sunday night. I have a feeling I'm going to be drinking a lot of cognac and smoking a lot of cigars with those two guys, who are smart and funny as hell.)

Till later --
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Wait a minute Robert you would rather sit in comfort with a close friend, cognac and cigar in hand, than post here? What kind of weirdo are you anyway? :lol:

If you see multiple Barbers and Keeneys there is an explanation. :wink:
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Wait a minute Robert you would rather sit in comfort with a close friend, cognac and cigar in hand, than post here? What kind of weirdo are you anyway? :lol:

If you see multiple Barbers and Keeneys there is an explanation. :wink:

Hey! :evil:

Oh. Yeah. That. :oops:

Welcome back Robert!
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Robert, I was hoping you were having a (mostly) pleasant time out there in meatspace. There are some old friends I'd like to see before I kick. I'm glad you got the chance.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “General”