The MITT Documentary

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Duane

The MITT Documentary

Postby Duane » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Greg Whiteley is a good friend of mine. He's a documentary filmmaker, known primarily for NEW YORK DOLL, the film about Arthur "Killer" Kane of the New York Dolls who quietly retired, became a Mormon, and lived a discreet life in west LA.

Well, he's got a new film out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHxbemvpxY

There was no way I was going to vote for Romney in 2012, regardless of our shared religious affiliation. The only way he could ever become a viable presidential nominee was by placating the extreme Birther right who have been funding the Republican party for the last several years. Despite his moderate leanings, he would have owed his presidency to them, and he would have had no choice but to nominate some of them to positions where they could have really done some harm to the people of this nation (as if enough harm hasn't been done).

I've never discussed my opinions with Greg, and I probably won't, at least until long after the next POTUS is elected. Having said that, it hurts to see such a thoughtful, seemingly compassionate man as the victim of the forces of a changing demographic that yearns for moderation on one side and rabid, xenophobic monsters on the other.

Who knows what would have happened had he been elected? He might have had the backbone to reach for the center regardless of the voices of those who primarily financed his campaign. Or perhaps he wouldn't have.

So please understand me when I say that I feel genuine compassion for Mitt Romney, but I am not at all disappointed in the way it worked out.

FrankChurch

Re: The MITT Documentary

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Private equity firms are about as evil as they get and Bain Capital was a leading one. Never forget the victims no matter how nice someone may act.

Jello Biafra always talked about how "disarmingly nice" religious right people were before debates, so personality alone is not the thing. Take me, I come off as a real asshole, but have my heart in the right place. :)

Duane, could you tell us about your Mormonism, I am curious, since I think it is a bit of an odd religion. Nothing personal, I tend to think your a pretty cool guy.

By the way, Harry Reid is a mormon and I tend to like John Huntsman. And, did you see that Mormon musical? lol

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Don't have time for a detailed answer right now, Frank, but in the meantime, you might want to check this out. :)

http://themormonworker.net/past-issues/ ... anarchist/

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm

In answer to your question, Frank, I grew up in the church, served a mission (in Ohio, of all places), went to BYU. The only other Mormon thing I haven't done yet is get married.
My beliefs have "evolved" (heh) over the years. I take very little literally, but I appreciate how my participation gives me a framework for becoming a better person and helping others in need (both LDS and not).
In short, it's an integral part of my "personal DNA," regardless of where my progression from "child of God" to "raging adolescent of God" to, finally, "adult of God" eventually leads.
And no, I haven't seen BOM yet, but I have the soundtrack and I thoroughly enjoy it. I plan on checking out the play before it leaves LA (if I can).

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Guess I didn't know that about you, Duane. Cris' three roommates when we started dating were Mormon, and one of my first major dance competitions was at BYU. We lost...

Your first mission was in Ohio? There's a story there....
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:18 am

Y'know, whether or not Mitt is a misunderstood good guy or a feckless dupe or a Machiavellian did not matter to me. He espouses trickle down economics. He's a supply sider and we have ample evidence how poorly that works. As I told my conservative friends at the time, why would I vote for someone who supports an already failed policy? What I hate about this political ecology we have is, that didn't matter to those folks. Mitt's major appeal was, "he's not Obama."

Sorry, that's not sound.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:09 am

Supply Side can easily be shot down, but neo-liberalism is a disease.

-------------

Duane, as long as you hate Glenn Beck we are cool. :)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:15 am

How nice someone is has nothing to do with how they govern. Obama seems personable but he drones babies and thinks we are all suspected terrorists.

Compare this to Gore Vidal, a complete asshole, but he had the right ideas.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:16 am

Harlan as well, but he is nicer than he lets on.

Return to “General”