International Politics Debate

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Robert Nason

Re: International Politics Debate

Postby Robert Nason » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:41 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I would say that Dorothy Day was a much better Catholic.

Just how do you know Dorothy Day was a better Catholic, Frank? Do you know anything about what's in John Lukacs's heart? Isn't God supposed to decide these things? Are you God?
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:16 am

That's why it is important for a nation to be highly informed about their world and we need history--correct history--to be taught to the kiddies.

States are artificial constructs, good to see Lukacs understanding that basic premise. The US is certainly not a nation, since our leaders couldn't give a shit about anything we say, since they are ruled by powerful forces, like capital.

My original beef with Israel--they are a state, not a nation. The Palestinians at least have a national spirit.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:12 pm

That assertion makes no sense, Frank.

The Israelis have a very strong sense of Nationhood and Nationalism. In fact, Judaic people around the WORLD are proud of the nation. But those who live there: VERY powerful sense of pride in their country.

This is why I'm at a loss: You've run afoul of that sentiment on many occasions...which is why is makes no sense for you to assert otherwise.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:14 pm

FrankChurch wrote:That's why it is important for a nation to be highly informed about their world and we need history--correct history--to be taught to the kiddies.

This sounds terrifyingly Third Reich and/or Stalinist.

What we need to do is fund the schools properly and let the educators decide the curriculum -- not the parents; not the politicians. And certainly not the minority religious believers who want their stamp of approval on everything that is taught.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:34 pm

Barber, a nation would have less hubris than anything Israel does. A nation would respect the basic human rights of a suffering populace. They also reject the nationhood of Palestine, this is why they create settlements.

If you notice, the religious settlers have little in common with the youth of greater Israel, who tend to be quite secular.

-----------

I mean the educators. I'm the Alfie Kohn dude, remember?

Obama wants the state to teach, what's called common core.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:58 pm

FrankChurch wrote:
I mean the educators. I'm the Alfie Kohn dude, remember?

How could we forget :roll:

Education has always been more about political agendas than knowledge. It serves the purpose of whichever administration is in power - it's why they keep rewriting the curriculum every few years.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:24 pm

No need for sarcasm, Steve Evil.

Canada doesn't have our hubris so you get a pass. :)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Not yet, but the Harper government's working on it. I just can't wait for the WWI Centenial. . .

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 am

Frank

There is a HUGE need for scarcasm. When a person wants to talk outmof both sides of their mouth it's the only way to deal with them.

Do me a favor, watch the following George Carlin video and then try to talk to Steve Evil about education. If this one isn't to your liking I can pull up a couple more...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4jQT7_rVxA ... jQT7_rVxAE

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:31 am

Is Harper talking about dismantling Single Payer? I'd expect crickets.

-----------

Lori, you do know Carlin was one of the ones who made me as radical as I am.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:45 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Is Harper talking about dismantling Single Payer? I'd expect crickets.

-----------

Lori, you do know Carlin was one of the ones who made me as radical as I am.

You just took the eady parts of Carlin Frank. He had a consistency that you seriously lack.

For instance, if your form of anarchy has no outer influnces, then how can God and education be a part of it? Not only are They both outer influences, but they are the two things that make you easily manipulated.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:29 pm

"Education" is one of the biggest cliche buzzwords in American life. Every hack who's ever held office, run for office, been run out of office, written an op-ed, given an interview, a speech, a sermon, or a lawsuit has piously announced that there's nothing wrong with this country that can't be solved by more, better, truly edifying EDUCATION. If only we can fix, fund, further, and re-fashion better education, all will be well. It's like saying something is "about our future." Or: "the children." Or better yet, "our children's children's future."

The fact that it's somewhat true doesn't make it less banal. It's akin to President Eisenhower saying at a press conference in the 1950s, "America is nothing without faith and I don't care which it is."

Meaningless.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Carlin was a bit like Gore Vidal. As he got older he turned into kind of a crank.

Frank an anarchist society wouldn't have a single payer health care system. No government remember?

Canada was in WWI? Man you learn something new every day! :wink: Which side? BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

Lori leave Frank a little ass so he can sit down, ok? :D
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:35 pm

:x Grumble grumble grumble. . .

Return to “General”