International Politics Debate

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

International Politics Debate

Postby Moderator » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Knock yerselves out.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

diane bartels

Re: International Politics Debate

Postby diane bartels » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:31 pm

There are a lot of scary people in charge of different parts of the world. They scare me.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Knock yerselves out.

You're wishing us well right? Like telling an actor to break a leg? You don't really want us to actually knock ourselves out right? Right? Just checking! :wink:

diane bartels wrote:There are a lot of scary people in charge of different parts of the world. They scare me.

Yes ma'am! Which is why (to be perfectly crass about it) I'm glad we have bigger guns than they do. The trick of course is to oppose the scary folks without becoming scary ourselves. And honestly we don't always succeed. But even though Frank doesn't believe it, there is a difference.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:35 pm

There is, a big difference.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:10 am

There are a lot of scary people who could be potentially in charge of the USA. Trust me on this, that should scare you a hell of a lot more.

At least the Uk's Pm , David Cameron, isnt scary. Bit of an scumbag perhaps, but not exactly scary.

Not in the least bit scary for me is the idea of Scottish independance. Frankly I would be more than happy to get rid of a government that has dictated to us Scots for hundreds of years, used us as cannon fodder in various wars (mostly because we are all angry hairy arsed bastards) and allowed us little in the way of swaying policy.

But you know what REALLY scares me. Justin fucking Beiber. How the hell did that talentless cretin manage to get into the cultural swimming pool? He's a pox, a disease....

Ok that went a bit off topic, but its at least a bit tongue in cheek. Apart from the Justin beiber part. Which is just obvious.....

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:53 am

The scariest people are the most banal. Note to the twisted funhouse mirror that is Obamamerica.

Syria may give up the weapons but Barry needs to bomb them anyhoo. Good God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:59 am

Nason, your cheap shot against Howard Zinn was pretty ill. You know fully that Commentary is an organ of the anti-arab Zionist bund. They'd do chemical attacks on every arab who walks and talks if they could.

Howard Zinn just wanted to write a book where the victims of our crimes could speak, not just the famous faces of our propaganda.

He also outlines all the heros that make America somewhat sane to live in. Without the left America would be nil.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Frank Church wrote:

You know fully that Commentary is an organ of the anti-arab Zionist bund. They'd do chemical attacks on every arab who walks and talks if they could.

Talk about cheap shots!
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:50 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Nason, your cheap shot against Howard Zinn was pretty ill. You know fully that Commentary is an organ of the anti-arab Zionist bund. They'd do chemical attacks on every arab who walks and talks if they could.

Howard Zinn just wanted to write a book where the victims of our crimes could speak, not just the famous faces of our propaganda.

He also outlines all the heros that make America somewhat sane to live in. Without the left America would be nil.

So cheap shots are all right if the far left used them, but not the other side.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Let's deconstruct Frank's last statement.

"Commentary is an organ..." The word "organ" implicitly carries a suggestion of propaganda, a mere tool of a crude ideology. Commentary is in fact an exceptionally well-written monthly journal of culture and politics.

"...of the anti-Arab..." Commentary has never been anti-Arab. It is a generally (but not exclusively) Anerican Jewish publication which supports the right of Israel to exist -- as do most Jews.

"...Zionist bund." Zionism was a movement to create a Jewish state. Now that it actually exists, Zionist is used mainly by Israel's enemies as a term to delegitimate it, i.e. "the Zionist entity." Bund is a word that harkens back to the 1920s and 30s ("Soviet Jewish Bund, German-American Bund) and is essentially obsolete in this context. Again, used as a term to cast doubt on people who are simply pro-Israel.

"They'd do chemical attacks on every Arab who walks and talks if they could." You accuse Israel of wanting to do chemical attacks on Arabs ("every Arab"), something which Israel has never done...yet you're indifferent when an Arab leader is committing chemical attacks on his own
people right now.

Astonishing.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:18 am

Re: COMMENTARY

Any magazine that regularly publishes essays and short stories by Joseph Epstein (to say nothing of his monthly joke offering) is okay by me. Terry Teachout's pieces are always worth a look, and the rest of the magazine isn't bad either. I can't recall ever seeing anything in it that made me think they'd want to gas all the Arabs.

Bests,
--tr

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:34 am

Tony -- You just named my two favorite writers in COMMENTARY. Joseph Epstein is one of the best essayists writing today--his essay on Ben Hecht, "The Great Hack Genius," is probably the best piece ever written on that fascinating character--and Terry Teachout wrote an outstanding bio of Mencken some years ago. I regularly tell new acquaintances the Marilyn Monroe/Arthur Miller matzoh ball soup joke, which was one of Epstein's "jokes of the month." Never fails to get a laugh.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:04 am

Nason, let da man tell you off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDwd5UiRC0

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:06 am

That little punk actually is mad that arabs don't hate him more. haha.

The Israel lovers are just insane.

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Robert,

Re: Epstein. You've probably seen these, but in case you haven't, look for these books:
ONCE MORE AROUND THE BLOCK, THE MIDDLE OF MY TETHER, A LINE OUT FOR A WALK, WITH MY TROUSERS ROLLED, NARCISSUS LEAVES THE POOL, and IN A CARDBOARD BELT. Epstein edited THE AMERICAN SCHOLAR for twenty-plus years, and had an essay in each issue under the byline Aristides. They're collected in those volumes; earlier essays than these are in FAMILIAR TERRITORY. His literary essays from COMMENTARY and other magazines are collected in PLAUSIBLE PREJUDICES, PARTIAL PAYMENTS, PERTINENT PLAYERS, LIFE SENTENCES and the previously mentioned IN A CARDBOARD BELT. The short stories from COMMENTARY and elsewhere are in THE GOLDIN BOYS and FABULOUS SMALL JEWS. His essays and stories have been among my favorites for nearly 30 years.

Exiting the thread now unless I think of something annoying to say about international politics.

Bests,
--tr

Return to “General”