Ask me about my LA trip

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Ask me about my LA trip

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Hey Gang

I just looked at my calendar and it's over a month since I met our esteemed host. Which means I've kept you waiting at least that long.

Now, I hope you all don't get upset with me, but I've just figured out why. It affected me on so many different levels I'm not too sure which ones you all wanna hear about. So I have come up with a compromise that I hope will make ya all happy.

If you wanna know something about that few minutes of my life just ask. Barber can fact check me if needed. That way you get to find out what you wanna know and I won't bore tan to de

Tim Raven

Re: Ask me about my LA trip

Postby Tim Raven » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Lori - I remember reading that you had a moment with Harlan during the signing last month...care to elaborate the experience?

Thanks!
Tim

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Not a problem Tim

The two that made the most impact were both during the few moments I spoke with him before he signed my book. I got the chance to tell him just what awefulness I was going through when I discovered his work. Now, I wasn't expecting to move him in any way but it seemed to me that I did.He put a hand over his heart and I heard him say something. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but the look of humbleness on his face floored me.

The other was when he started to describe just how badly depression affects him. I always assumed that I was the only person who could get angry at the drop of a hat during a depressive episode. Listening to him describe how angry he gets when then weather girl mispronounces temperature was kinda interesting. Helped me to feel normal in my not normalness.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Lori, I didn't fully catch what he said either, but what you said did deeply touch him. He clearly appreciated your words.

And as to anger at the drop of the hat: yes, he understands. And he also feels as embarrassed and remorseful about it later. This is one of the main reasons I am proud to call him friend.

Further I cannot comment.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Barber

I guess why that surprised me is because when I wasn't taking to the guy behind me, I was reminding myself that after at least sixty years of this kind of stuff there was nothing I could say that would have an affect on him. To be proven wrong was just a surreal moment.

OH, and the guy behind me was famous in his own right. Tom Kenny is a rather in demand voice actor. If you,be ever heard SpongeBob Square pants, you've heard his work. He also was Rocco the wallaby, which is where I knew him from.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:03 pm

You expected a monster but came away with the guise of a real lovely man. Best to think like that when dealing with yours truly. lol

I will remember that also when you yell at me.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:14 pm

FrankChurch wrote:You expected a monster but came away with the guise of a real lovely man. Best to think like that when dealing with yours truly. lol

I will remember that also when you yell at me.

What I expected was polite disregard. Getting my book signed and my name spelled correctly. What I got was a moment of sincere human connection, which was an amazing gift.

As for the other. I will give you the respect that I give Harlan the moment you can do a few things that he does with regularity. He always admits when he doesn't know something, is willing to admit he is wrong and usually has solid facts to back up what he says, and can put them into his own words. Do that consistently and you've got crazy mad respect coming your way.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:17 pm

In my experience of Harlan, he is a bona fide sweetie. He is also very funny and charming in person, as is the Lady Susan. Jealous of you L.A. types

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:43 am

Diane

Then you have no need to be jealousy of me. San Francisco may as well be on another planet in some respects. But, It's only eight hundred miles away from LA. If I ever hit a powerball, it will be a great place to visit.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 am

Not to be picayune, but we're only really 400+ miles away. 800 RT.

Just sayin' -- we're closer than you might think.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:14 am

Barber wrote:Not to be picayune, but we're only really 400+ miles away. 800 RT.

Just sayin' -- we're closer than you might think.

Point taken. But with my limited budget, and not a lot of good friends down there, it may as well be 800 miles. One Greyhound trip was enough to cure me of ever wanting to do that again. Even if it's for another chance to talk to Harlan again.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:19 pm

Move to LA.

San Diego is cheaper. You can use that neat train they have.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:46 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Move to LA.

Frank

Besides the fact that my entire family is here, as are all my important community connections, I prefer SF.

San Diego is just a bit more conservative than I am willing to deal with on a daily basis.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:10 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:Move to LA.

Frank

Besides the fact that my entire family is here, as are all my important community connections, I prefer SF.

San Diego is just a bit more conservative than I am willing to deal with on a daily basis.

Where's the damned "LIKE" button when you need it?

Frank, do you even know SD politics?

Return to “General”