Visual Artist's corner

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Mark Tiedemann

Re: Visual Artist's corner

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Steve,

The worst I ever saw (or heard) was in 1982. Renaissance had reformed, albeit not with most of the original members, but Annie Haslam still fronted. Donna very much wanted to see them when a club date was announced. At the time, there was a venue on the riverfront called Mississippi Nights. I'd never been there, but some decent acts had been appearing there, so I bought tickets and we went.

It was a fucking bar. And I say that with precision. They had a larger than average stage and a "green room" of sorts, but for the most part it was just as big fucking bar. The tickets cost nearly 20 bucks each, which at the time was pricey, and we sat there listening to regular bar chatter while Renaissance tried to perform. No one tried to turn them down, but as they got louder, so did the chatter. Till at one point Donna leaned toward the guys next to us and said "Will you shut up."

They looked offended and one of them said "Why?"

"So we can hear!" she said and pointed at the band. I swear, they looked toward the stage as if they'd just noticed it. Now, this baffled me---20 bucks was the admission price, which was expensive for a show then, but 20 bucks as cover just to get in? How could they not know they were buying concert tickets?

Be that as it may, they didn't shut up. A few times during their performance, Annie hit a high note so perfect that the whole place actually did shut up, but it didn't last long.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Wow.

I mean truly. Wow.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Barber

It's not just air travel.

A cross city bus ride can take up to half an hour depending on them route.

So,I was trying to get home from a day at the beach. This teen got on the bux with her phone glued to her ear. She sast behind me and just yapped away. After learning more about her, her sex life and her trouble with her mom than I wanted to know, I turend around and stared at her for a bit.

Once she noticed this, she looked at me and said "I'm trying to ha e a private conversation here."

I smiled and told her "Maybe you should have it in a more private place"

I am proud to report she told the person that she was speaking with that she'd call them back once she got home.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Good for you, and yeah! If you want to have a private conversation have it somewhere private.

(shakes head)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:16 pm

Because I'm stupidly proud of my baby girl at the moment I though I'd share some video from today's big event:

http://youtu.be/1Aw2o-Y-lmk

Happy New Year everyone!
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Very soon our art museum here will have on loan the masterwork, American Gothic! Can't wait.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:36 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Very soon our art museum here will have on loan the masterwork, American Gothic! Can't wait.

:mrgreen:

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:38 am

Pitchfork love.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:19 pm

"Red Rocks in Blue #1"

Andrew Rogers

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:38 pm

I would love to have a hike, picnic on that noble hill, Andrew.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:49 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I would love to have a hike, picnic on that noble hill, Andrew.

Ditto. Looks like a fun place to explore. Lovely capture. It has an almost 19th century photographic texture about it.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:25 pm

AndrewR wrote:Because I'm stupidly proud of my baby girl at the moment I though I'd share some video from today's big event:

Happy New Year everyone!

Just think Dad, not only have you just lost a good reason to get a little work out in, but it won't be long before that beautiful little girl will become an even more beautiful young lady. Then you'll get the workout by wading through the throng of possible suitors when you leave for work.

I'm impressed, I didn't figure out how to do that before I was her age.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:
AndrewR wrote:Because I'm stupidly proud of my baby girl at the moment I though I'd share some video from today's big event:

Happy New Year everyone!

Just think Dad, not only have you just lost a good reason to get a little work out in, but it won't be long before that beautiful little girl will become an even more beautiful young lady. Then you'll get the workout by wading through the throng of possible suitors when you leave for work.

I'm impressed, I didn't figure out how to do that before I was her age.

I've got my hands full already. She's a bit of cougar (something I hope eases with age. LOL).

The bike riding is all her though. She set a goal (I'd get her a horn if she learned to ride without training wheels) and followed through. I found that putting pads on her (knee and elbow plus gloves) really gave her enough confidence that she wasn't going to get seriously hurt if she crashed. She's really become an ace on her scooter too. She's a pretty amazing kid, probably because she takes after her mother. :)
Andrew Rogers

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:11 pm

Barber wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:I would love to have a hike, picnic on that noble hill, Andrew.

Ditto. Looks like a fun place to explore. Lovely capture. It has an almost 19th century photographic texture about it.

Thanks Steve! There's just something about taking those red rocks and making 'em blue that I find fun.

BTW, there's a reason for the vintage look and feel. The Cyanotype is one of the oldest photographic printing processes. It was invented by John Herschel (who was quite the polymath) around 1842. He was originally trying to find a method to make quick copies of his notes, which worked (kind of)but Anna Atkins had a better use for it and published books filled with cyanotype photograms of botanical specimens.

It's fun, but fussy. :)

Here's another, just printed today:

"Red Rocks in Blue #2"

Andrew Rogers

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:39 pm

"Moo Redux"

Hybrid digital/analog

Capture: iPhone 5s

Print: Cyanotype on Rising Stonehenge Bright White (from digital neg on film)
Andrew Rogers

Return to “General”