Visual Artist's corner

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

AndrewR

Re: Visual Artist's corner

Postby AndrewR » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:14 pm

"Open/Shut"

Vandyke brown print. Toned with gold and then waxed. Printed on Canson Edition 100% cotton rag paper.

For some reason I'm drawn to doors and doorways. No idea why, but there it is...
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:51 am

"You open this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone. "

Or, the dimension of art. The Visual Zone.

I don't know why that quote occurred to me. Perhaps the imagination and the eye for a kind of visual story, a flash fiction for the eyes.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Photographer Carol Highsmith has donated her archive of work to the Library of Congress. What caught my eye (sorry) was the selection of photographs of a ghost town, Bodie, CA. What is interesting is that these were taken in infrared.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?va ... e&op=EQUAL

Those of you with the technical knowledge tell me, does infrared photography require special film or a special type of camera or both?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Those of you with the technical knowledge tell me, does infrared photography require special film or a special type of camera or both?

That depends. Currently most IR images you see (including the Higsmith images in your link) are captured digitally using a camera that has been specially modified for that purpose. Digital camera sensors are normally pretty IR sensitive and are fitted with an IR cut filter to minimize that. Modifications (which are permanent, BTW) involve removal of the IR cut filter, to enhance the effect some photographers shoot through an IR filter (which basically only allows IR light through to reach the sensor or film depending).

In the not so distant past, Kodak made two kinds of IR film:
- HIE, a heavily IR sensitive black and white film
- Aerochrome, an infrared-sensitive, false-color reversal film (designed for aerial photography but adapted by several artists for other uses)

Fotokemika Efke also offered a black and white IR film until recently, however they have since discontinued all of their photographic film and paper products.

Ilford/Harman currently sells SFX, which is a panchromatic black and white film with enhanced IR sensitivity.

I've never shot IR film or its digital counterpart. Too much guesswork involved as you really have to wing it with regard to exposure and even focus. I do like a lot of the film based work, but I can't say I'm a fan of the digital stuff.

Just to give you a visual on how the different types of materials look, here's a piece on a guy using a stash of Aerochrome to document events in the Congo: http://istillshootfilm.org/post/4870029 ... -the-congo

And here's a Flickr pool containing images shot using HIE: http://www.flickr.com/groups/45915555@N00/ (note the softer, more ethereal quality of the film based images compared to digital)
Andrew Rogers

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:56 am

Andrew has excellently answered the IR camera question, so I'll duck in just to note my redesigned website is up and running. Still a little fine tuning and kinks to work out...then adding the store...but we're up!

http://Www.barbergallery.net
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:31 am

Good work, Steve. Very nice.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:31 am

Steve, your new site looks great, very professional look!

Tim

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Yes indeedy great site Barber.

You guys are so talented. I have a drunk camera and I enjoy taking pitchers but I'm light years behind.

Thanks for the info Andrew. I've seen the Aerochrome effect before without knowing what it was. I think you might be right about film over digital but is it a fundamental quality of the medium or just the way it's used here? Or is this another LP vs CD kind of thing?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Steve - Well done sir! Looks great!

Ezra - It really has to do with how the different materials function. For example, most normal films have an anti-halation backing however HIE did not, which lead to the very diffuse and ethereal quality you see in the examples. Aerochrome substituted the dyes for certain colors so as to make the areas that are high in IR content more prominent. Both are effects that can be simulated using digital techniques, however it really only goes so far. They really are vastly different media and record light differently. I shoot both film and digital and there are qualities that you get from film that just do not translate to digital.
Andrew Rogers

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:57 pm

You're an artist, Mr. Barber, an artist.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:00 am

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Barber does need to stick to art. :)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:56 am

FrankChurch wrote:Barber does need to stick to art. :)

Gonna smack you! :P
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:57 am

Mark
My vote is for the "traditionally authorial" look. Good pic of you.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:17 am

Mark,
I'm with Steve on this. The "pencil sketch" looks a bit like a scene out of a "A Scanner Darkly". Just my $.02.
Andrew Rogers

Return to “General”