Adventures in Eating

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re: Adventures in Eating

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:05 pm

I was hoping no one would catch that.
Too bad you missed out on Feast down here. Before they closed, the chef, who hailed from the UK, used to make a wonderfully as-authentic-as-possible-given-US-restrictions haggis for Burns Night. It laid waste to the reports that haggis is to be avoided.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:51 pm

The best chicken salad I ever had included apple and grapes among the other ingredients.

My most traumatic childhood meal was a ghastly concoction called "creamed tuna on toast".

While we're talking childhood nightmare scenarios have any of you ever encountered a Southern specialty called the "Salmon Croquette"? I'm sure the person who conceived it had the best possible intentions. I suppose it was meant to be something like a crab cake except with salmon. Oh that it were so.

You take salmon from a can and mix the egg and the onion and the flour, make little patties, add vegetable oil and you fry the living crap out of it. You know they're done when they look like the heat shield of an Apollo space capsule after reentry. When you cut into one it invariably crumbles. Yummy!

If someone has had one of these puppies done up good I'll take your word for it but it's much too late for me. I've been scarred for life. So much so that I can't do fried fish any more. I love seafood in general and I love salmon (fresh) in particular but please god not fried.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:38 am

You take salmon from a can
This was the root failure cause of my grandmother's salmon loaf.
and you fry the living crap out of it
And this was the root failure cause of her hamburgers.

I maintain there's one cookbook responsible for ALL this...

I've never had a croquette I've enjoyed; I get the concept - it was a great way to used the leftover bits at the end of the week, be they fish or fowl - but trying or making them (did chicken croquettes once; edible, but uninspired), the flour/fill gets in the way. Might as well have hush puppies. Far happier with fish cakes, since the fish will still take flavors after the initial cooking, and you can do it with little to no filler and still get a crust, without sacrificing so much moisture you get spicy cardboard at the end.

I don't do a lot of fried fish anymore, though I will brake for proper fish & chips (there's a lot of improper in the world), good fried oysters, and soft shell crab.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Had some fresh home made guacamole this evening. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...yummy
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:08 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:Had some fresh home made guacamole this evening. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...yummy

Num.

The first crop of avocados from our tree are on the verge of ripeness. Tomorrow morning may be "avocado on toast" 'round here.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:27 am

Avocados have to go, they use too much water.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:18 am

FrankChurch wrote:Avocados have to go, they use too much water.

No, we told them to cut back their showers to five minutes and they've been very good about that.

The tomatoes on the other hand, are just greedy little bastards.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:59 pm

Actually Frank are you aware that almost a billion acres of farm land is going fallow this growing season? That means that a shit tonne of farmers are doing the right thing.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Apparently the Aztecs referred to the avocado as the "alligator pear". No point. Just one more interesting factoid.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:33 am

Au contraire Mon Ami, the avocado has purpose, function, a Reason to Be. The vegetable whose career I find mysterious is the Rutabaga. Kinda ugly, no taste I can detect; I don't get it.

Will anyone depone for the Rutabaga?

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:41 pm

And a more direct and non-kidding answer: we almost never water the avocado tree. Maybe once a month, if that. It's nowhere near the amount of water required elsewhere in the yard.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:38 am

You ever tussle with Harlan over the fact that most foodies think wine is essential to being a gourmand?

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:53 am

FrankChurch wrote:You ever tussle with Harlan over the fact that most foodies think wine is essential to being a gourmand?

Nope.

I don't think that myself. It's only one of a myriad of flavors available in the culinary world. That's kind of pretentious -- kind of like asserting you're not a Foodie if you won't eat "x". Most Foodies I know suggest that it simply means willing to try new things, to understand the nature of the food and to (mostly) eschew pre-fab foods in favor of more natural and flavorful things.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:55 am

I mentioned it in the Whatcha Watching thread, but Cris and I rented Jon Favreau's CHEF over the weekend. Really, really good movie. Very different from his other films.

Highly recommended for people who appreciate the finer points of Food, and strongly plot and character-driven.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Do you eat pig parts like heart or snout or some such?

Return to “General”