Adventures in Eating

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Re: Adventures in Eating

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:11 am

The best meal I ever ate was at a family style restaurant in Florence called Il Latini. No reservations, so we arrived about 90 minutes in advance of opening to make sure we got a seat. We were the first ones in line and had a chance to chat up the staff. The staff helped you pick out various appetizers and entrees (fixed price for the 5 course meal) and we had unlimited wine with the meal. It is all a blur at this point, but the pork and the pasta I remember as being sublime. Because they liked us, the manager also sent over a bottle of champagne. For dessert, we had a bottle of limoncello. Between my ex and the other couple that joined us, we finished 2 bottles of wine, 1 bottle of champagne and half a bottle of limoncello over a 3.5 hour meal. The bus ride the next day to Rome was NOT pleasant.

Also, and I don't say this lightly, the meal that Karen & I had with Steve & Cris Barber at this little Italian place has to be among the best meals I have ever had in my life. The food was exquisite and the company helped make it a memorable experience.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:45 am

The Italians have us beat but even French chefs will attest that America is becoming a very great culinary haven.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:51 am

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:36 pm

concentricsaturdays wrote:The Pioneer Woman makes Sloppy Joes:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/04/sloppy-joes/

A simple yummy recipe that even a goober like myself could handle but bad bad bad so it'll have to wait to "crazy day".Crazy Day will be that one day a month where I allow myself to eat anything that strikes my fancy. That's the day I have the fettuccine alfredo (once described to me cheerfully as "heart attack on a plate") or the chili dogs or...well, the sloppy joes. The recipe is so basic that I can see where a cook with sufficient imagination might do endless variations on it.

Since the conversation drifted towards memorable meals made so by the mindset and environment of the participants I was thinking about the best breakfast(s) I ever had. When I was a small boy the youth church group I was in used to go camping at a spooky memorable spot where one of the tributaries of the Ocmulgee River ran into Jackson Lake. There was this old burned out mill that was mostly overgrown with foliage half sticking out of what were then fairly thick woods. (Now the land around the lake has been mostly subdivided as choice lakefront property and the woods cut back.) The spot was especially spooky at night and was conducive to the telling of scary ghost stories around the campfire. But the mornings were the best. I suppose it was the damp chill coming off the lake. The smell of the woods and burning logs. The scrambled eggs and bacon in an iron skillet over a open fire were glorious!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:07 pm

markabaddon wrote:Also, and I don't say this lightly, the meal that Karen & I had with Steve & Cris Barber at this little Italian place has to be among the best meals I have ever had in my life. The food was exquisite and the company helped make it a memorable experience.

I would have sworn I mentioned this as one of ours as well, but now can't find the reference. Go figure. But yes, the restaurant's name is Cafe Piccolo and is one of those wonderful little secret places where only the locals go. The food is wonderful, and yes, the company is what made that particular visit so memorable. (We'd also just gotten back from a long trip down the coast to Laguna Beach.)

Yep, very good memory.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Just ran across this dessert recipe. Haven't tried but it looks...wow!

banana bread brownies. these are unbelievable
Ingredients:
Banana Bread Bars:
1-1/2 c. sugar
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1-3/4 (3 or 4) ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Brown Butter Frosting:
1/2 c. butter
4 c. powdered sugar
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. milk

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375F. Grease and flour 15x10-inch jelly roll pan. For the bars, in a large bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream, butter, and eggs until creamy. Blend in bananas and vanilla extract. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and blend for 1 minute. Stir in walnuts.

2. Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

3. Meanwhile, for frosting, heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Let the butter turn a delicate brown and remove from heat immediately.
4. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk. Whisk together until smooth (it should be thicker than a glaze but thinner than frosting). Using a spatula, spread the brown butter frosting over the warm bars (the frosting will be easier to spread while the bars are still warm).
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 am

Being originally from St. Paul, we, as kids, feasted on a candy so amazing it almost makes me swim in angel's pee. The candy is called a Nut Goodie and it is made in Minnesota and is one of the last American candies made with real milk chocolate. It is filled with nugat and surrounded by nuts--I usually don't care for nuts much but they make the Goodie real, well, goodie.

I'm sure Keeney has feasted on these:

http://www.pearsonscandy.com/nutgoodie.aspx

I'd fuck them if I could.

Ezra, you on a special diet?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Ezra, you on a special diet?

Well that's very kind of you to inquire after my health. Actually in the sense I think you mean, no. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I want to live and eat healthy. Based on the official statistics I'm within 15 pounds of the optimum body weight for someone my height and build. Now while it would be peachy keen to drop that 15 so I can be statistically pure and make my insurance company proud of me, right now that's not my primary concern. I'm trying to go back to basics and educate myself.

What fuel does the human corpus require to function at its best?

What foods contain that fuel?

Then I'll go from there.

The trouble with diets is that they work. As long as you stay on them. But as soon as you go off the diet the weight comes creeping back. And because they're artificial and unsustainable everyone eventually goes off. My goal is a healthy lifestyle. I can't help but think that if I eat the right stuff in the proper proportions then I will achieve a sustainable equilibrium. But I'm not condemning myself to the life of an ascetic. I love fresh vegetables and salads and fruit. Looking back on my life as a porker I can see that my problem was eating too much and a completely sedentary lifestyle. (On my job I sit in front of a computer or talk on the phone or go to meetings all day.)

So we shall see what we shall see.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:32 pm

My favorite meal of all time.
Here is a pic my sister sent last weekend:

As many have mentioned, it's not just the VERY SIMPLY prepared food. In this case, Chesapeake Blue Crabs steamed with beer, vinagar and water in the botom of the pot with Old Bay, Kosher salt and mustard seed on the crabs themselves, it's also the atmosphere in which you eat them. A newspaper covered table with Natty Boh beer, crabs and some corn on the cob steamed along with the crabs at the top of the pot. Eat them with friends and family, or if in public, make new friends with the people sitting next to you. Hopefully, at a location on the river like this:

Yum.

Tim

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:04 am

Raven, Wyatt said we are not allowed to post pictures. Post the links. Wyatt's bandwidth is a precious thang.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:22 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Raven, Wyatt said we are not allowed to post pictures. Post the links. Wyatt's bandwidth is a precious thang.

When did he say this? I missed it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm

This was years ago when I posted a picture and Wyatt bit my head off. lol

Italian salami, yum.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:30 pm

OLD BAY SEASONING

Just boned up.
Very interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:16 am

Has anyone but me delved into the strange new world of ORGANIC foods? How do I know these foods are organic? Well it says so on the label. And of course they must be better for you. Why else would they be so extravagantly priced? :wink:

My local Giant supermarket now has a special separate section for these foodstuffs. One notes with weary hilarity a soup labeled Free Range Chicken Soup. Presumably they mean the chickens from which this soup was so lovingly extracted were raised free range but I can't help but have this image of bowls of soup wandering across the fields...

Could it be that this is just another marketing ploy? :shock:

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:42 am

Don't trust the word organic. The government is not very strict on how corporations use the word. Not really organic can be called organic. The USDA is understaffed and cronyfied.

Return to “General”