Adventures in Eating

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Adventures in Eating

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:48 am

Ok I'll bite (sorry). Several folks have mentioned having a general food thread so as not to compromise the purity of the Chili thread. This is the thread for general all purpose eating. Diets, health, recipes, fat, sugar, salt, loving descriptions of fine dining, excruciating tales of utter swill, food food food.

So let's start with this: What's the best meal you ever had?

I'll go first. A meal in a kibbutz in Israel. Fresh fish from the Sea of Galilee caught the same day. Fried potatoes cooked with olive oil. Both potatoes and olives grown and prepared in the kibbutz. A salad with all ingredients fresh out of the ground. A meal hallucinogenic in its vividness. Imagine eating like that all the time!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Re: Adventures in Eating

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 am

Ruth Chris, big ass filet. Butter cooked, yum. Albeit really expensive.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:23 am

We've had some really terrific meals, so it depends upon the definition of "best". Dinners seem to dominate.

FRIEND'S HOUSE: Harlan's chili, made all the better by the company. Thanksgiving at our friends Evie and Barry's house just last year; honey glazed turkey with garlic mashed potatoes and homemade desserts.

VACATION: Our first meal in Paris/Europe at La Rotonde, which was straight out of a 1940s Parisian postcard. Dinner at sunset on the fantail of the Wind Surf off the coast of Italy. I don't remember the actual entrees, but the most amazing meals all around.

FAMILY: My parents' 30th anniversary dinner on a private yacht off the coast of Long Beach (hired by a fraternity brother of my father's), featuring alligator sausage.

My Mom's home-made sausage lasagna?

Like all things, it depends.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:27 pm

AMERICANA GRASSROOTS

That's a tough one, but I do recall a buddy and myself stopping at a little diner somewhere in Texarkana, concluding a three week road trip. We were up all night, on the road out of Houston.
We stopped for breakfast at a little place, having been awake all night attempting to follow what was once Route 66, when it was still kinda dark on the terrain.

* Eggs, sunny side up, pancakes and hash browns, piping hot freshly brewed coffee -- all fresh as you can get. No slop or mush. Everything, simply, vibrated with separation and purity.

I remember telling the waitress, "This is the best breakfast I've ever had!"

... but I do remember a delicious dolphin sandwich in the Florida Keys. "I'm a man of simple tastes."

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 am

ERMAGERD!! HE ATE FLIPPER!!!

FLIPPER, NOOOOOOOO!!!
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:33 am

Chuck Messer wrote:ERMAGERD!! HE ATE FLIPPER!!!

FLIPPER, NOOOOOOOO!!!

This is your brain on drugs.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:41 am

This brings up a point I've made in the blog a handful of times. To me, it's not just the food itself which makes for a memorable meal. Oftentimes it's the setting and the companionship which does just as much as what we are eating.

The "best", as Concentric noted, can simply be the basics served very well. I recently had an extraordinary Huevos Rancheros at a truck stop off I-40 between Winslow and Holbrook. Likewise, same trip, the nachos at the Lumberyard Brewery in Flagstaff were, honestly, the best Cris and I have ever had.

And trying new things -- as long as you're pleasantly surprised instead of bitterly disappointed -- can be memorable. But I have to admit that the most memorable have been when the setting matched the food in some special way. And I've never had a memorable meal sitting by myself.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:59 pm

The "best" is purely subjective.

Good point about the eating environment. Nobody cared that the quiche lorraine was scorched at the Last Supper. The gospels don't even agree whether or not it was a Passover meal (Mark says yes, John says no, Luke & Matthew follow Mark). Yet it was one of the most famous dining experiences in history.

I've been doing some research for my new healthy lifestyle. Other than that veggies are good for you nobody agrees on anything! Rice is good. Rice (in fact all grains) are bad. Saturated fats are bad. No, saturated fats are good.

When the hell did eating get so complicated? :?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:23 pm

PINCHING A LOAF

Well, the best ...

Blue-colored M&Ms, Doritos? On my death bed, I will happily say it's not 'cause of that Corporate Crap.

I like brown rice, steamed in grapeseed oil. The brown rice is not bleached, is not gluten, and the grape seed oil doesn't break down into free radicals at high sustained temperatures.
If your movement becomes solid with thing like this, I think you're doing pretty well.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 am

White Castle hamburgers. Can't get enough.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:09 pm

HEART HEALTHY PIZZAS

I'm often reminded that pizza in Italy doesn't resemble the "heavy pies" that the USA normally considers to be their versions of pizza.

One can create a healthy pizza at home with a pita or multi grain wrap and a bunch of healthy vegetables like green and / or red peppers, artichoke hearts and spinach. Add only a tad of binding cheese if you want. And there you go -- not a heavy heart-unhealthy "sewer cover" pizza.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:36 am

Anthony Bourdain says that the only thing that matters when it comes to food is does it taste good.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Okay, just tried this today. Wicked easy.

3 packet pot roast

3 Packet Crockpot Pot Roast

1 chuck roast
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 package brown gravy mix
1 package Italian dressing mix
2 cups water

Directions:

Place roast in crockpot. In a bowl combine the envelopes of mixes together, add to water. Stir.
Pour mix onto pot roast, set crock pot (3 1/2 hours high or 7 hours low)

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Suggestion: add new potatoes around the pot roast while cooking...

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:42 am

Pot luck at Barbers.

Return to “General”