THE CHILI MAVENS

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE CHILI MAVENS

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 18, 2013 9:49 am

How would you rate Pink's chili Barberama?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat May 18, 2013 10:46 am

Silly silly folks, why go to all that trouble? Just pop open that Hormel can, scrape off that inch think protective layer of grease (it holds in the flavor), ladle the rich mixture into a microwavable bowl, and you're good to go!

Yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyy...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat May 18, 2013 12:24 pm

FrankChurch wrote:How would you rate Pink's chili Barberama?

Really quite good, though it's best if coating a Pink's hot dog of course. :wink:

(Not that I've had either in quite a few months...)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat May 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Silly silly folks, why go to all that trouble? Just pop open that Hormel can, scrape off that inch think protective layer of grease (it holds in the flavor), ladle the rich mixture into a microwavable bowl, and you're good to go!

Yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyy...

Oddly enough my tastes have changed in the last decade or so. Once upon a time I would have agreed, but the last couple of times I had Hormel -- maybe a year or so ago -- I found it to be a lot greasier and oily than I remembered. Still good, but not what I would call "great". My tolerance for grease may have decreased over the years...(Works really well in a chili size, though.)

I'll post our chili recipe in later this afternoon. I have to find it first. It's very spicy and quite different.

BTW -- Cris and I have been treated to Harlan's famous chili, and it's deserving of all the praise lavished upon it. A very intricate spiciness, and an almost smokey flavor and aroma. He won't release the recipe, so don't even ask...but it's really delicious.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sat May 18, 2013 3:05 pm

* I seem to recall Harlan's chili recipes were top secret. Hmm, wonderin' where he gets that smokiness. Canned chipotle peppers are smokey by nature.

* Back in 1987 or thereabouts I had a can of Hormel that seemed to make me ill, but it may have been other factors that had something rampaging through me. I don't think I've gone back to Hormel since then, however. I suppose at that time in my life I started questioning the "freshness" (!) of canned beef ...

Going to forget the pineapple idea and just go for a cocoa / chocolate interaction with the habaneros. I picked up eight peppers last night, but may soften another gang of the peppers later, adding in a few arbol chiles.

Today it'll be simply some hot grapeseed oil in a sauce pan and adding in de-seeded and de-arched (inner structure referred to) habaneros, minced garlic and some black or green pepper I have laying around. That'll be in a skillet for about five minutes and set aside.

Grapeseed oil withstands high temperatures without breaking down into free radicals, from my understanding. I very rarely use this oil for frying, but when I make rice this is the non-stick element.

MEXICAN CHOCOLATES

BTW, that "Grandma" Mexican Drinking Chocolate is Abuelita, in the category of some products made by Ibarra and the company Chocolatera Moctezuma. Ibarra and Abuelita are in hexagonal boxes. The latter contains palm oil, so I'm definitely passing on using that stuff. Checkin' out a Mexican store today -- but if I can't find Ibarra or Moctezuma -- or if they contain artery-clogging ingredients, I'll probably just melt down a little mini snack-sized Hershey's Dark Chocolate bar.

Since this is my first sauce, I figure I'm still messin' around a bit.

I'm so used to big old pots, and back in the day making gloppy stews and chilis in volume. This sauce creation is miniature in comparison. Cleanup will be a whizzz!

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sat May 18, 2013 3:46 pm

Beans are right out. Chili doesn't have beans in my universe.

Instead of beans I use andouille sausage as solid little flavor bombs that are included in every spoonful. You have to cut it properly – cut a ¼ inch thick circle, then quarter that so that you have four little sausage pie pieces. Repeat at least ten times for a big pot of chili. Maybe more if you’re a fan of excess.

Gently sweat out the andouille by itself at the beginning of the cook to release the magic grease, don’t fucking burn it! Then add the onions, etc. It works as a great chili base. Warning! Do not MINCE the andouille, it makes the brew way too fucking hot, in my opinion. Solid little quartered pie slices are the best. Yay! Little spoon prizes!!!!

The fun part is after its simmered for five hours or so, then you get to ADJUST SEASONING FOR TASTE. Cumin and salt and masa and hot sauce and….whatever makes your dick or pussy hard.

Another warning – be careful with the salt – it has to be perfect. Don’t get too drunk when adjusting seasoning; I’ve done that. When you ruin an entire cast iron Dutch oven worth of chili because of excess salt, then you have to throw it through a sliding glass door window and sometimes the neighbors call the cops.

Be warned. Cooking chili is a serious undertaking.

Mild cheddar cheese on top, with maybe some very thinly sliced green onions – a small bowl of chili is sufficient – a good chili should have a masculine presence in your tum-tum!

Tim

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sat May 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Hopin' you'd soon be joinin' us, Tim.

I'll try that quartered cut with some Andouille Chili this summer, then -- but I'll be addin' some kidney beans, pardner. Maybe even some Frijoles Negros. I like beans, I do ...

Well I got the habaneros minced and fried in grapeseed oil, along with quartered carrot and diced onion, seasoned with black pepper and sea salt.

Speakin' of drinking ... I touched my face by accident after cutting up those habaneros.

I'm knockin' back a few bottles of Sam Adam's Wee Heavy to nurse the heat sensation 'round my nose.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat May 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Silly boy, a box of latex gloves are cheap and save ya from those mistakes...

BTW, what would it cost me to have you send me a bowl of your final mix?

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sat May 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Howdy, Lori. I'm gonna look fer that Ibarra cocoa on Sunday. If I can't find it, it looks like Hershey's Dark is enterin' the meltin' pot.

I'll mull over the bottling of the stuff. I can tell I'm gonna have to run out and get more habaneros. I'm doing this all "by eyeball," so I know to keep the integrity of the habanero flavor, there just has to be more of 'em. A bit of seed and arch made it into the core batch, to be sure. The Habanero heat is there.

Yep, I ignored online advice to wear latex gloves. The Sam Adams is helpin' to ease the heat ...

BTW, good buddy of mine sent me a number of Ray Harryhausen collectibles and some Boysenberry preserves from yer beautiful state, so I'll figure on settin' aside a Pony Express shipment fer ya real soon! It'll be fun gettin' a bottle to ya. Maybe one of those little Mason jars all sealed up?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat May 18, 2013 6:02 pm

concentricsaturdays wrote:Howdy, Lori. I'm gonna look fer that Ibarra cocoa on Sunday. If I can't find it, it looks like Hershey's Dark is enterin' the meltin' pot.

I'll mull over the bottling of the stuff. I can tell I'm gonna have to run out and get more habaneros. I'm doing this all "by eyeball," so I know to keep the integrity of the habanero flavor, there just has to be more of 'em. A bit of seed and arch made it into the core batch, to be sure. The Habanero heat is there.

Yep, I ignored online advice to wear latex gloves. The Sam Adams is helpin' to ease the heat ...

BTW, good buddy of mine sent me a number of Ray Harryhausen collectibles and some Boysenberry preserves from yer beautiful state, so I'll figure on settin' aside a Pony Express shipment fer ya real soon! It'll be fun gettin' a bottle to ya. Maybe one of those little Mason jars all sealed up?

How ever you wanna do it. I'd be glad to procure some Ibarra for you if you're wiling to wait and trust me not to stalk ya once I get your address. It is a grocery store item in this neck of the woods.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat May 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Well I assumed from the tone of my post that it would be clear I was being facetious. Hormel is vile. As is most store bought chili. It's either too greasy or too salty or frequently enough, both.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sat May 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi Ezra,

I should have figured you were larking, especially after your comment about the inch of top grease!
Glad you brought up Hormel, as they need to be addressed. I used to find their concoction appealing when I was a young turk with an electric skillet and a six pack of Budweiser. Ah, those were the invincible days (age 24). That one can, though ...

Urban warfare. I lived to tell.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat May 18, 2013 11:24 pm

Dang, finally found it....

Thinner than traditional chili, but can be very spicy if you double or triple the chili powder used. This can be made relatively low calorie by cooking beef and sauteing without oil, and using sweeteners versus real sugar.

Supposedly 8 servings, but we never make it past 4...

Ingredients

1 Pound Lean Ground beef
1 tbs oil
4 cloves Garlic - chopped
2 Small Yellow Onions - chopped
2 Stalks of Celery - chopped
1 16 OZ Can Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1/4 Tsp. Pepper
1 Tsp. Smoked Paprika
1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 Tbs. Chili Powder
1 Tbs. Cumin
1 Tsp. Oregano
1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tbs. ground Ancho Pepper
2 Cups Beef Broth
1/2 Lemon

4 Packets Sweetener (Optional) or 8 packets sugar

Directions
Heat oil in large pan over medium heat until oil spreads smoothly over bottom of pan. Brown Ground Beef. Transfer to colander and rinse in steaming hot water. Set aside. Saute garlic and onions without oil until soft. Return beef to pan and squeeze juice of 1/2 lemon over mixture. Add all ingredients including broth to pan. Bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes to reduce.

N-Joy!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat May 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Well I assumed from the tone of my post that it would be clear I was being facetious. Hormel is vile. As is most store bought chili. It's either too greasy or too salty or frequently enough, both.

D'oh.

Didna catch thet.

Long and rough week....

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun May 19, 2013 11:23 am

Not to worry. I appreciate the recipe and will try it since I do loves me some chili. What do you think would happen if I substituted a pinch of habanero or jalapeno for the cayenne?

Return to “General”