Happy New Year! Time For Your Ass-kicking....

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Duane

Happy New Year! Time For Your Ass-kicking....

Postby Duane » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:06 pm

Goals are hard. Change is hard.
But things are going to be different.
Why?
This: http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-tru ... er-person/

It's harsh, it's a beat-down. And if there is something amiss in your life (career, true love, etc.), reading this will stick out in your mind like a metal splinter.
But if you're like me, you come away from it with two things:

1) If something is amiss in your life, it's because you're doing something wrong.
2) It is completely in your power to get up and do it right.

My issue has been career. This year has been... interesting. 300 interviews / job contacts for 2012 alone, and a total of 10 days of work to show for it. And the biggest downer of all was feeling like I had to apologize for not being the perfect candidate to the interviewer. I am apologizing no more.

My resume is as polished as it's ever been. My experience is precisely laid out. Coursework that I 'm taking is well documented. In other words, I'm doing everything in my power and more to qualify for the positions I am looking for. I am rock-solid, and no interviewer/recruiter will make me feel otherwise.

In other words, a little more Alec Baldwin in GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS, a little less of a puss. (That Baldwin scene is linked in the article, by the way).

(Note that I have no desire to behave like an ass in a job interview situation. What I'm explaining is a slight tweak in my attitude. Perhaps I won't encounter so much of this as the economy improves, but it seems like certain interviewers have been content so sit back and let me justify my existence in a field packed with other seekers who may or may not have the precise set of skills the interviewer is looking for. I WILL be professional, I WILL sell myself the best way I know how, but I WILL NOT (as I have in the past) allow myself to become a passive pawn in the interview game).

Bring on the New Year!!

Duane

Re: Happy New Year! Time For Your Ass-kicking....

Postby Duane » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:09 pm

Oh, by the way, YOU DON'T WANT TO CLICK ON A CERTAIN VIDEO IN THAT ARTICLE. You'll know what it is when you get to it.
Just scroll on....! ;)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 am

Hike on Brother Duane.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:48 am

I have nothing to say about all this. Carry on.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Monument valley is the mack.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Duane -

If I might note, NEVER apologize for not being the right candidate -- and ALWAYS figure that you are the best candidate. Otherwise, why are you wasting their time? (That's the attitude they will have.)

If you interview, take it upon yourself to detail why you ARE the best candidate, and why those things they may present as challenges are actually benefits. (I don't have enough training, so therefore I don't have any pre-concieved notions as to how something must run. Or I haven't worked for a company in a while, so you'll find that greatly motivates me to make sure I'm doing not only what you need me to do, but do it better than the next guy.) Argue for the job. Campaign for it. Make your case -- and at the same time decide if you really want it.

I have conducted many interviews over the years, and found myself talking to talented but unqualified candidates and wanting them to make the argument to me that I needed to hire them -- and when they didn't I had to hire people who had made their case.

Just a thought...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Duane, learn to talk indian.

Duane

Postby Duane » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:04 am

Sage advice, Steve. I was feeling a bit low about last year, but I'm optimistic for 2013. I'm a smart, capable, motivated guy. I need to help them know that!

Frank: I grew up near the Navajo nation. I have a smattering of knowledge of that language, but know nothing of the hundreds of others still spoken in North America. What tribe did you have in mind?

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:48 am

Frank, How!

That's all.

Return to “General”