Someone needs to talk me out of this....

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Someone needs to talk me out of this....

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:42 pm

OK, so I was listening to the NPR show To The Best of Our Knowledge on Sunday afternoon. They were talking about the phenomena of literary tattoos. Which are either book covers or quotes from your favorite author inked into you.

So, I got to thinking, What is one HE quote you'd be willing to be buried with if it came down to it. I am always repeating the phrase "The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity" I'm thinking I've got broad enough shoulders that I could get that tattooed right across my shoulders. That or maybe on one of my calves.

I need the more sane amongst us to talk me out of this. While I have one tattoo, and I really love it, I think at my age one is enough. But there is this little part of me that keeps on shouting "Chickenshit, it's not like anyone is going to see it, you fuck in the dark, and most often go out in public with your shoulders and back covered. You wanna do it, just save up the money and do it!"

Duane

Re: Someone needs to talk me out of this....

Postby Duane » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:47 pm

It's hit and miss how tattoos look on people, and it's often in the eye of the beholder. But if you believe in your heart of hearts that it will look great on you, then it most likely will.

Our generation was the first to make body ink fashionable, but it's the Millenials who are truly getting inked up. My nephew had sleeve tats by the time he graduated high school. He's begging me to get something, but my philosophy is: My lack of tattoos IS my tattoo!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Lori
I won't try to talk you out of a new tattoo -- that is your own decision.

But maybe a couple less wordy options with more...cryptic (and shorter) messages?

"Be careful of monsters with teeth"

Or

"Dig."
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:30 pm

"I have no mouth, and I must scream" with a tattoo of a mouth positioned in a very interesting place. :mrgreen:

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:37 pm

For the life of me I could never think of anything I would want that permanently etched into my body. I will not be the same person next week, never mind next year or next decade. At the gym I see these folks, all well under 40, who are becoming the Illustrated People and I just think: "you can't let your body change, you had better not ever get tired of those scribbles..."

Color me so "I don't get it."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Why are you peeping at people in the gym? lol

I prefer the ladies shower.

--------

I don't do tats, because I worry that it would make me look silly. I like Harlan but he's not known for great quotes. He's more about the entire story as art.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:16 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Why are you peeping at people in the gym? lol.

Peeping? They wear shorts an tank tops, Frank, no peeping is required.

Oh, you were being sarcastic! I get it~ :? :?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:16 pm

CROATOAN in a 16th century script would look cool.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:44 am

OK, time for responses:

Duane: I've got a purple chintz rose on my left bicep. I've had it long enough that when I go out in short or no sleeves and get a compliment on it, I sometimes have to look at my arms to remember where and what it is. I love the way getting a tat feels and for that alone would do it again. And like I said, it's more about me and a record of what I've felt and thought about throughout my life. And everyone who knows me knows that not only do I have a mouth, but I'm pretty damned good at screaming when it comes down to it.

Barber: Good suggestions, I could see the "Beware of monsters with teeth" inside a mouthful of really nasty looking teeth. I just chose the one I did because it's one of the few sayings that have personal meaning to me. It's helped me avoid so many arguiments it's not even funny.

Frank: I tend to shower at home after working out. I have body issues I'm working on with the therapist, so until those are dealt with, there ya go.

Mark: I cannot understand head to toe tats either. The one I have is in a spot where 9 times outta 10 no one will see it. It's like I told Duane, the feeling of getting the thing put onto your body is one that you really can't explain to anyone who hasn't done it themselves.

All: I suppose I could muster up the courage and just HE himself about the matter, but that's got a snowball's chance in hell of happening. I may be all bluster and brave here, but I doubt I could make myself confront my worst fear where the man is concerned.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:48 am

You could ask him if he has a tattoo, or if he'd get one. And don't worry about his response -- if there is one. Hell, just about every one of us has been torn a bright, shiny new one by Grand Masta H. Ellison, Esq. He even threatened my life once. (Not 100% seriously.)

Me? I'm not all that keen on marking up my flesh, but a quote from HE would be my choice if I did decide to get some ink. Maybe with an appropriate bit of artwork.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:37 am

Or, alternately, you could elect Phoebe Buffet's approach. (Yes, I used to watch Friends.)

A tiny little dot of blue on your shoulder. When asked, it's a commentary on how small the world is in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, in Phoebe's case, it's because the tattoo hurt and she chickened out after the first injection.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 am

More a Cheers man. Life around the barstool is life realized.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:08 pm

I think I've got it gang.

One of my favorite books is Strange Wine. So, try this on for size:

A wine glass filled with a blood red liquid with that title as the stem.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:20 pm

It will give you skin cancer. Don't do iiiiiit.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:29 pm

I like it Lori. I think you should do it. I have a butterfly with my mom's name.

Return to “General”