Typewriters

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Tony

Typewriters

Postby Tony » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Hello!

Would anyone here have any background on what typewriters HE has used over the years? I know he keeps lots on hand for parts and has a bunch of ribbon in storage. I'm looking to learn more about typewriters in general and HE was the first person I thought of.

Thanks,
Tony Adams

Site Admin

Re: Typewriters

Postby Moderator » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Tony -

I believe Harlan uses an Olympia SG, though I may have the model wrong. He was given a Remington Rand by his mother, but converted to Olympia because he felt it was better suited to his needs and presented his work in an optimal way.

Hope this helps.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:43 pm

You don't have to worry about spam or malware with a typewriter.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:43 am

I use my Dad's old Underwood. A bright white steel tank that sounds like a rapid fire howitzer. I absolutely love the thing, and do my best work on it. For ribbon I use old calculator ribbon that (until recently) were still sold at STAPLES. The sheets themselves unpresentable - full of errors and typos and print that constantly fades out - but for simulating creative output, and the thrill of churning out a first draft, it's unsurpassed.

This flimsy little lap-top doesn't compare. . .

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:49 pm

Sometime during my school days the church my mom secretaried at updated their technology so I bought an IBM Selectric II from them. Not much romance there granted but I could type like a maniac on it, typeball all a blur. Sounded more like a Thomspson sub-machine gun than heavier ordnance.

Then at some point came a shitty little word processor where you could only see three lines at a time on the screen. Vile.

Now I tap tap tap happily away on my Acer Aspire laptop with full sized keyboard and numberpad. Really folks I have absolutely no nostalgia whatsoever. I'm glad you all groove to a different drummer and I just wonder what typewriter ribbon costs these days at the speciality shop. Or is it a black market thing now?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:57 pm

The ribbons are made by dwarves these days in an abandonded coal mine. The ink is actually the blood of a dead Balrog. Kinda pricey, but anyone who uses it feels like a total badass.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “General”