Old Car Getting Too Expensive

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Old Car Getting Too Expensive

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:20 am

It's interesting. There might be more of a dynamic than that.

In Southern California there's so ingrained a car culture that it's simply easier to get in your car and drive the five blocks to, say, the bakery, than it is to take a quarter hour to walk down. Unlike a downtown area, parking is rarely an issue and it's far more convenient to drive even when your destination is relatively close.

When I was a kid - ten to twelve - I thought little of walking a couple of miles to the market or stores or the movie theater. Sad to say, I've adopted the "rush everywhere" mentality to my health's detriment. Not only the stress of "gotta get there now", but the lack of exercise in the process. Gonna have to ponder that.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:25 am

And to think LA was once at the top when it came to public transportation. That is, until the auto companies created fake rail car companies, then bought out and junked LA's entire electric cable car system.

You know what? My car right now runs smooth as butter. Plenty of pep in acceleration, too. I think I'll change the spark plugs, run 'er up into the mountains and back and try the emissions test again. I think this time it'll pass. I'm still going to replace it, though. Someone suggested I buy a motorcycle. No way, Jose. I'm going with a four-wheeled ve-hicle. Front and rear crumple zones, air bags, etc. Heater in the winter. Let the daredevils joust with the morons out there on the streets in motorcycles.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:40 pm

THE OLD BUCKET FINALLY PASSED!! It finally passed the emissions test, I got new plates (couldn't just get stickers this time) and it's once again street-legal.

I can now look for a new(er) car with a calmer outlook.

Chuck

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 pm

See, Charles, thinking positive works. winks.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Chuck Messer wrote:THE OLD BUCKET FINALLY PASSED!!

Okay, gotta say my initial reaction was the opposite of reality. Glad it passed..in the good sense.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi, Chuck,
If you live anywhere near LA, I have a friend who is in-cred-i-ble at finding dependable used cars for people. He's the Harry Potter of the Dominion of Car. We're on FB together, I think you're in my friends list too, yes? I'd be happy to introduce the two of you to each other.
Cheers,
LG
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Alas, Gwynneth, I live in Denver, Colorado. I intend to be very careful this time. I've got some time on my side right now, since the car is running really well right now. It cost every effin' dime I had and then some, but I've got some breathing space.

I just want a car where everything works. Little stuff like the fuel gauge, the air conditioning, the tape player, etc.

Chuck

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Chuck Messer wrote:I just want a car where everything works. Little stuff like the fuel gauge, the air conditioning, the tape player, etc.

Chuck

...details, ...details ;) :P ;)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:00 am

8 track tapes? :mrgreen:

We know you have that Goblin tape.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:38 pm

FrankChurch wrote:8 track tapes? :mrgreen:

We know you have that Goblin tape.

It's ABBA, Frank, and it belonged to Chuck's significant other back in the day. :D Along with the Captain and Tennille and Shaun Cassidy. :lol:
STAR WARS (1977)

Return to “General”