Old Car Getting Too Expensive

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Old Car Getting Too Expensive

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Well, my car ate my savings last month, and then some. New coolant pump, new blower motor for the air circulation, new radiator. Now, I find my car failed its emissions test and it will mean replacing a valve in the pollution control system ($400+) and quite possibly a new catalytic converter ($1000+). I can do the valve. But, that's a ridiculous amount of money. The catalytic converter? Yeah, right. It's a 97 Saturn that I've driven the hell out of (mostly for employment reasons) and it went through some abuse and neglect during times of unemployment. My current commute is twenty miles each way, public transit doesn't go anywhere near my workplace. As in, miles and miles and miles.

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace the car, and soon. If it can pass the emissions test after valve replacement, then I've got a little breathing space. But, I have nothing for a down payment -- my car ate all that -- and my credit score is average. I'm not sure what my options are.

Just needed to vent. Oh bla dee, oh bla da, life goes on.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Re: Old Car Getting Too Expensive

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:37 am

Chuck, you have a roof over your head, good food, world class art, you can talk to people who look and act different....

Ah, yes, you know this world is a shit hole.

Does look like the fires are turning down.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:21 pm

Trust me chief..... In the UK things are much much harder on the motorist.

I currently pay £1.38 a litre for petrol. Yeah that is NOT a gallon bit a those little european measures. A Gallon costs .... well I dont even know but its something fucking scarey. Probably over £7 which is...... $10????

Happy motoring. ;o)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Iain, what is the english press saying about Obamacare? lol

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Well, tomorrow I find out if I can make the old bucket street legal (the license tags have expired).

One way or the other, this car is experiencing too many multiple systems failures. It's time to trade it in. Maybe they can sell it for scrap.

Time once again to be a slave to debt.

Chuck

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:00 am

My father's very sage advice to me was "when it is more expensive to maintain an older car than to purchase a newer one, it's time to trade in."

It's always served me well to follow this little "duh".
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Chuck

Have you considered donating your car? Your public TV or Radio station would take it, running or not, good tags or not.

You get a tax write off, and they get to continue working....

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:58 pm

I've thought about donating it, but if I can get a better price by trading it in, I'll do that. My margins are rather slim.

Chuck

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:05 pm

https://tradein.autotrader.com/ATPages/TradeInMarketPlace.aspx

Great place to start, and to make sure you don't let yourself get ripped off in the process.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Well, it failed again.

Chuck

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm

I've needed a new vehicle for a few years now, but my work situation prevents that from happening for now. Hence, my Honda Civic, with 440,000 miles, got an engine rebuild last month, and over the next few months I'm going to replace the drivers seat, windshield, and floor mats. If it'll carry me for a few more years, long enough to get decent work and outta the ol' debt treadmill, fantastic. If not, I'll turn it into the California DMV for a thousand dollars and go carless. We'll see.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Consumer Reports rates Toyota and Honda as the two best car companies. Stick with Japanese steel.

Since BMW moved some of it's factories to the south their cars have gotten crappier reviews. Mercedes as well.

Unions matter.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:14 pm

I drive a Hyundai. Terrific value for the money. Two years in and nothing of consequence.

(I was rear-ended by a Dodge, but that's not really the Hyundai's fault.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:52 pm

1995 Toyota Corolla which I bought in 1998 right before I came up here from Atlanta. It had 40,000 miles on in then and I've put another 50,000 on it since. If you do the math you'll see it doesn't get much use except for trips. I've thought about getting rid of it a couple of times (I could get by without a car here easily) but I know five minutes after I got rid of it I would regret it.

Toyota began manufacturing the Corolla in the US in 1996 and sad to say the difference in quality between my made in Japan and shipped here car and my Dad's made in the USA 1998 Corolla was astonishing.

I sympathize with you guys. Especially those of you who live in an area where you have to drive everywhere. I'm keeping my car until the doors and the wheels fall off.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:13 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:I sympathize with you guys. Especially those of you who live in an area where you have to drive everywhere. I'm keeping my car until the doors and the wheels fall off.

There are few things we can readily walk to, despite the fact we're in a concentrated city. It's a very built out, Father Knows Best 'fifties suburban sort of neighborhood. We have our bank, an OSH, a couple of eateries and a supermarket within a three block walk, but the trips to the market and OSH usually involve heavy and/or clumsy merchandise. So yeah, we usually take the car over.

Almost everything else -- the market we usually go to, the Home Depot, our favorite restaurants, etc, are a mile or more. Work is 23 miles each direction, and no public transportation to speak of without going well out of my way and doubling the commute time.

(Ezra, you know the DC area. Think of the neighborhoods of Northern Virginia outside the main streets. If you know Tyson's Corner, think the outskirts of Vienna and you'll know what I mean. I used to live where Beulah Road crosses the Dulles Access. That's similar, distance to anything useful-wise, to where we live now. Long time established neighborhood, but little within an easy walk.) (Rick may disagree. He stayed with us for a week or so last year and did walk to just about everything. It might be us...)

Return to “General”