Getting older

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Getting older

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:30 pm

When have you ever been grumpy? I find you way too idealistic.

Canada is nice, by the way. Banff is da bomb.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:30 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Lori, I'm confused. Did they think you looked younger or older?

13-20: NO one believed I was under 21.

Now people think I'm under 40, sometimes under 30. Neither of which is true.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:45 pm

FrankChurch wrote: I find you way too idealistic.

How so?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Besides. . .what could make an idealist more grumpy than the constant frustration of his ideals?

DanielBarron

Postby DanielBarron » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 pm

"Banff is da bomb."

Small world. Banff is less than 45 minutes from where I live.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Nice mountains around there.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Nice mountains around there.

And what are we in Colorado? Chopped Liver? Oh sure, the mountains are on fire right now, but they're still the Rockies.

Not long ago, my co-worker, Matt was still having difficulty with his knee, which had been banged up some time ago. I asked him about it, and he said it was part of "getting old" -- things just won't heal as quickly. He's in his mid twenties.

"Speak for yourself, young fella." I said. I'm 56 going on 57. Geez. He was a little embarrassed when he realized our age difference.

And now if you'll excuse me, I have to drag my aging carcass to work. Hi-ho, Hi-ho.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:46 pm

I realized something was wrong when Dad came to visit last year and we spent a lot of time talking about joint pain.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Hasn't Harlan called people "kiddo" since he was in his mid 40's? And he looked like a kid up until his heart trouble in the early 90's, when he was around 60 or so.

I'm one of those genetically lucky people who can pass for mid thirties although there will soon be a half century's worth of forest fire on my birthday cake next year. That being said, I have stepped up my life list somewhat: volunteering for film festivals, taking screenwriting courses, running my ass off in local 5/10k's (and setting some rather ambitious time goals that require quite a bit of training, and associated pain and recovery), and in general just keeping an eye out.

The old adage is true: imagine yourself on your deathbed, so to speak, and think of what you will regret NOT doing. Granted, there will always be things we will regret having done or left undone, but we have space to work today, so let's set to!

(Is it just me, or have I become rather preachy lately? If so, realize that I'm primarily preaching to myself)

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:40 pm

>> And what are we in Colorado? Chopped Liver? Oh sure, the mountains are on fire right now, but they're still the Rockies.
<<

Several years back, I drove up the highway that connects Durango with Grand Junction. My parents live in eastern AZ, and I was taking a long, scenic loop back to LA. Unfortunately, I drove the highway at night, but I stopped at a turnout and stood looking up at the Rockies in the moonlight. I was blown away.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:33 pm

At least the wildfires are out.

"Sir, there's an 'Oh my God, my hair is on fire' on line two."

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:59 am

diane bartels wrote:I have noticed that since turning 50 a couple years back, I've started calling everyone kiddo. I am worried. My nephews and niece and Kafka ok. But all of a sudden, everyone is kiddo. What's next, calling waitresses dearie? This is not fun, not fun at all

Sorry for the late chiming-in (a thread started more-or-less a year ago) but I've been fighting the getting-old psychobattle too.

I've decided that I don't so much have a problem with getting older (as an 80something of my acquaintance agreed, every day above ground is a good day just because of that) so much as that divine world-pain the Germans call torschlusspanik.

The literal meaning of this is the anxiety or freight of the gate closing. The greater meaning is that as one gets older, one has the distinct feeling that ones chances are leaving one … you are getting more locked in to this final flight path, and if you didn't do anything about it, you've got no choice than to continue on whatever you're doing, and if you did do something about it, then you'll be extra-special bitter with extra bitter sauce on top and a stale, moldy cherry besides.

Glad to be able to cheer everyone up here.

Now that I"m Of A Certain Age and my attempts to change my career path during my 40s essentially came to naught, I find myself creatively in the doldrums and terribly unhappy about this.

Torschlusspanik! No need to ask for it by name … it'll come for you. Eventually.
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:52 pm

DADDY-O

Sometimes I don't think I've really changed that much in personality since the days when I myself was a "kiddo", although there do exist new signs of mortality in the "aches and pains department" post 50.

In the early 90s a co-worker used to call me "Daddy-O".

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05 am

I'm a big kid and will always be. I want a snowcone.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am

FESTIVALS & FAIRS

In the early 1990s a guy called me "Daddy-O", I should have specified. I did have a grandpa who made it into his nineties, however. He enjoyed his waffles!

I do want to take in more festivals and fairs this year. I've been to three so far. Attending them, participating with folks, meeting strangers and whatnot can certainly add to our youthful countenance. Maybe even have an improvised sleepover 'cause everyone knows it's getting late -- hangin' is so much fun.

Any other theories about staying young at heart?

Klondike Bars for me!

Return to “General”