Ray Bradbury

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Ray Bradbury

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am

Ray Bradbury has had such a long and varied and influential writing career that I figured he deserves a thread.

Serious readers are always capable of being influenced and amazed by what they read but there is an age, call it the age of maximum imprint vulnerability, when you're young, where books not only entertain or inform you but actually shape your entire concept of what's possible and desirable. They brand you. They set your own inner compass towards your own true north.

One such book for me was THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES. I don't even remember when I first read it although it must have been in elementary school where I first encountered so many of my life long literary loves through the english class book club that we had. All I do know is that I have been reading it off and on my whole life and it never ever has lost that magical combination of sadness and sweetness, a glimpse of something beautiful as it evanesces.

Even when Bradbury was writing it was clear that Mars wasn't going to be the wonderland of myth and legend but nevertheless the golden ones live and the canals and the empty cities in the mountains are haunted still.

There are artists like Bradbury (I am also reminded of the recently departed Maurice Sendak and the still living Hayao Miyazaki) who in growing into adulthood never seem to have forgotten what it was like to be a child, as so many adults do. And what's more, if you trust them enough to place yourself into their hands, have the astonishing power of being able to transport you back to the world of a child and then to restore you safely again into the adult world.

In the comments on one of the news sites where the death of Bradbury was announced someone submitted a post wondering who Ray Bradbury was and why his death was considered breaking news. Can you imagine growing up never having heard of Ray Bradbury? I think that is the saddest thing I have have ever read on the internet.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Re: Ray Bradbury

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:55 am

I wish I would have read more of him. I'll do better. What I have read is pure literary genius. He was good at the prose cannon, which I go for. Prose is my rocket fuel.

His funeral is going to be a biggie. I wonder if Harlan will go.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:15 pm

I envy you, Frank - I suspect there are gems I've read a dozen times that will, for you, be brand new; and that kind of discovery of new magic is a lot of fun, no matter one's age.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:01 pm

I discovered this news in an e-mail from my father. "Don't know if you heard about Bradbury's death yet. . .". It was the most crass e-mail I've ever received. He may as well have written "Don't know if you've heard about your grandfather's death yet. . ."

It was such a lovely day too, my brother flying in from Canada to say hello. . .

I'll say more later. Suffice it to say, he's not dead. He will never die. He's merely moved on. The world became too small a place. . .

"Live Forever!"

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Dougles, the best part of reading is you can do it again. It's like good sex.

Steve Evil, so true.

Think about this--he can now make heaven look like Disneyland.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Mars is Heaven.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:30 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Dougles, the best part of reading is you can do it again. It's like good sex.

Frank

There's nothing like the first time you read a good book or have good sex.

You can do both over and over, but after the first few times you know the outcome and it can become rather routine

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Steve Evil wrote:I'll say more later. Suffice it to say, he's not dead. He will never die. He's merely moved on. The world became too small a place. . .

When I hear a statement like that come from an atheist, it takes on an additional power for me. Entropy and decay can be transcended. One need look no further than the greatest writers in history for irrefutable evidence.

You da man, Ray. You da man.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 am

Is it true Ray never had a best seller?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:47 am

Did a little bit on Ray here: http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=1197

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:59 am

Mark Tiedemann wrote:Did a little bit on Ray here: http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=1197

Beautifully done, Mark.

(I am trying to figure out how to do my own blog tribute to his work while keeping with my theme. I think you may have inadvertently given me the linkage I need...)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Frank - GET into the books! Bradbury writes in metaphors, which I think may explain why he has reached a broader global readership than most science fiction writers (Vonnegut is among those few as well); it's what places him into the genre of "legitimate" literature, so to speak.

I, myself, know him more for his scripts. His best in my experience came out of the Hitchcock Hour. (THE JAR, THE LIFE WORK OF JUAN DIEZ).

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:44 pm

Mark,

That's a NICE post on your blog.

No longer have my first copy of Dandelion Wine, but the one shown in your post is the same edition I had when I first bought it. Came to The Martian Chronicles later, after devouring The Illustrated Man and The October Country. God, what a terrific writer... With any luck I'll last long enough to introduce the grandkids to his work, unless their mother beats me to it.

All the best,
--tr

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Mark gave me the connection I needed to put down some thoughts of my own.

http://thumbnailtraveler.blogspot.com/
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Very good piece, Steve. Very good.

Return to “General”