Robotic Ethics

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Robotic Ethics

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:25 am

Found this while I was sipping my coffee at Starbucks and thought you all may like it.

Not done reading it myself, but it brings up some seriously interesting points.

http://www.economist.com/node/21556234

FrankChurch

Re: Robotic Ethics

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:49 am

Don't worry Lori, the robots will not take over. I tend to disavow the idea of the thinking machine. We can program them, but we can control them.

Aanold will not bust down your door and shoot the slurpee from your hand. You're safe, as long as you avoid the Tender Loin. :)

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:39 am

Frank
Did you even bother reading the article?

The authour makes some valid points. We all ready have the techonology for driverless cars, and Suri attempts to figure out what you need before you ask for it.

If taken to their logical extremes, we are going to have to come up with an entirely new set of ethics.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Interesting article. I think it is time to look at what we want our robots to be doing, especially if they're going to be self-driving cars, etc.

And then there's the issue not addressed in the article (not really part of the subject), computer hacking and viruses. Some of these hackers are utter sociopaths, and would have endless fun making cars and trains smack into each other.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Chuck

That wasn't the entire article, you'd have to pick up the current edition of The Economist to read the entire thing.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:55 pm

We all ready have the techonology for driverless cars, and Suri attempts to figure out what you need before you ask for it.

In what sense are these autonomous? An autonomous AI would control its own programming independent of outside control.

Some of these hackers are utter sociopaths, and would have endless fun making cars and trains smack into each other.

True enough but if you can sieze control of this technology by hacking then in what sense is it autonomous?

I think this article confuses automatic with autonomous. Any military that would place its killer robots outside human control deserves what it gets.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:08 pm

there is a secondary definition of autonomous, "independant".
which i assume the article intends as those able to operate without direct control in a specific "simple" task.
the shift of perception from automatic to autonomous is largely relative i suppose.
how many times have people refered to there own actions as "automatic".
the article states several times "more autonomous" as if to indicate the shift in complexity from:
one reaction to one stimulus;"hot stove-move hand"... automatic.
multiple stimuli, varied action capacity, complex descision process...nearer independant or autonomous.

like a car that parallel parks itself.
if one of the sonar sensors goes out, assuming a pedestrian may have moved into the field, the program will shut down the process.
what were the results of the last independant robot car race? i don't know the details of any.
in the first one or two races, there were no finishers. the operating systems shut down in a few.
unanticipated parameters, failed sensors, operating loops, the list would be long
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:45 am

Need more data...need more data...need more data...neeed........

Return to “General”