Re-Nigging

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re-Nigging

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:54 am

By now you've heard about the bumper stickers?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/1 ... 49423.html

Stumpy's Stickers has headed underground - in the last twelve hours, the website has gone offline and so has the Facebook page. Apparently Stumpys wasn't comfortable with their bigotry being dragged into the light. Though Stumpys expected as much: they registered their domain using WHOIS privacy protection, so they could fuel race hatred anonymously.

But then, bigots is da kwaziest peoples - because he had a Paypal account for the site and used his AOL email address there AND for his small business listing online in Tampa. And was outed fairly quickly. Robert Kowalchuk of Tampa, FL, come collect your prize. And if you're the 27 year old Robert, nice mug shot for burglary in 2002. Moron.

Sure, the GOP can maintain it's not about race. And maybe for them, it isn't. I'm sure for a lot of conservatives, it isn't. But among the people with genuine concerns about liberalism, there are dogs being fed for whom it's entirely about skin color, and no one with gravitas cares to stop it. How far is the cause AGAINST such things advanced if a Mitt Romney stands up today and says. "There are real issues here. Skin color isn't one of them, and this man is a deplorable human being and a bigot and profiteering on race hatred and stereotypes, and shame on him and anyone who supports him."

NEVER happen - if anything, there'll be a mumble about how there's no room for bigotry, but the man is entitled to his free speech, and isn't that just what liberals want to take away, blah blah blah - because that's how the game is played. And this is why we fail: what some see as possibilities for dialogue, those vying for power see as opportunities for poll points.

Site Admin

Re: Re-Nigging

Postby Moderator » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:25 pm

*UGH*

I really did hope that was someone's bad idea of a Photoshop joke.

Sickening.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:50 pm

I have to say that bumper sticker made me want to vomit.

I am all for free speech but.... there are limits.

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Considering the level of Republican candidates in this race, added to an improving economy (3%, which the Libertarian Larry Elder called "anemic" today in an LA Daily News article -- anemic? Really? 3% growth coming out of a serious recession?), and the fact that Obama's opposition continually paints a caricature of a man they're going to have to confront for real, while they continually dodge REAL issues that Obama is succeeding on, I'd say FOUR MORE YEARS is pretty much a lock at this point.

However, anything can happen. And we're a long way from November.

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat May 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Practically every candidate the Republicans offered is a finger away from a sex crime. And they had their nerve calling bill Clinton a perve.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Return to “General”