Social Insecurity

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Social Insecurity

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:52 pm

I wish they would leave my sister alone.

Who is “they”? THIS time it’s Social Insecurity. Julie’s on disability and has been for a while. In the past, she has made at least five attempts on her own life. She suffers from bipolar disorder, and it takes a cocktail of medications to keep her in balance. She’s really not able to deal with a whole lot of stress.

So what does she fucking GET? Every once in a while, Social Insecurity denies her her benefits. She’s left hanging, with only a part-time job and mom’s contribution to keep a roof over her, mom’s and my nephew’s heads. Oh, and now she’s having a hard time getting her rather expensive medications. The county said they’d help her keep them up before they ran out. Well, some have run out and you’re not supposed to quit cold turkey, but what can you do when YOU FUCKING RUN OUT!?! You quit cold turkey whether you like it or not.

Nobody does shit while Julie twists slowly in the wind. Once SSI denied her because they claimed she was running a small business. She never did any such thing, not even anything that could be mistaken for a small business. They do this again and again and again. Thank God she used to work for a local law firm so she can get some legal backup.

She won’t call her representative’s office about this, even though he seems like the kind of guy who would help out in a case like this. My Grandmother has done just that when Social Insecurity gave her trouble and it worked for her. I’m thinking of making the call myself. It either that, or learn how to make fucking nerve gas.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Re: Social Insecurity

Postby Moderator » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:04 am

Chuck,

I'd make that call. It will nay get worse until she gets that kind of support from her rep.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Far off distant bureocracies do have this habit of kicking people while they're down. I got some stories, not as bad mind you, but could have been a whole lot worse if I didn't have a family that was willing to support me. I'd second that call to make the call. If your sister doesn't need the stress, she could certainly use the support. . .

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Chuck

You either need to get her a lawyer that specilizes in SSI law, or make the call she won't.

It's not as huge a problem as your sisters, but I was having serious problem with a local public service agency. It's amazing what will happen when someone as lowly as a Senator or Representative's AIDE gets a hold of these people.

What I was dealing with for almost 4 months was taken care of in less than 4 days..

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:22 am

Thanks, guys. I've been mulling this one over. So far, in the past several years, my sister's been hospitalized, she's had a series of electro-convulsive treatments that may well have saved her life. She's been through enough.

Monday, I'm calling Rep. Ed Perlmutter's office. Somebody's got to do something.

Chuck

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Chuck, as long as you don't become a huge anti-government guy because of this. The red tape is part of why government is rightly questioned in our society.

Much love and prayers to your sister. She has a good Brother.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Chuck, let us know how that call went. Let me know how that call went. I've been on disability for severe bipolar illness with psychosis for several years now. I'm concerned. If I had to deal with what your sister has to deal with, I wouldn't be here.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:12 pm

I talked to Julie and she appeared to be on top of things, so I gave her Perlmutter's phone number. It looks like she should get this matter untangled. Man, it seems like the people in the Colorado office are either sadists or chimps. I'm betting on chimps.

Chuck

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Chimps sounds about right. Having a doctor who can understand your sister's condition and write a really effective letter to the disability people is important too. Orisons said for Julie.
Gwyn
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:45 pm

My vote goes to sadistic chimps!

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Pretty much every day at work, I find myslf returning to the mantra: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." (Known as Hanlon's Razor, the sole contribution of one Robert J. Hanlon.)

However, there DOES appear to be a chimp-creation factor in management across all sectors & industries. Last week I was speaking to a trainer who's been with our company for ten years. Out of nowhere, he wondered aloud how it is that intelligent, insightful people can so readily turn into petty idiots after a promotion or two.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:03 pm

What's sad is they want to cut funding so they don't have to touch the military budget or make health care more socialized.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:42 pm

It just never stops. My sister has received a forclosure notice on her door. It seems that the mortgage company (or one of them) thinks she's self-employed, and just not paying. Social Security is dragging its feet in correcting their mistake, and now this.

Plus, Julie's ex-husband's previous ex-wife is using Julie's address as her own, and that may be part of the problem. Someone tried to steal her truck and succeeded in only tearing out the lock.

I mean, what the hell? What's next, a plague of locusts? I wish the goddamn world would LEAVE MY SISTER ALONE, GODDAMN IT!!!

Dog-pile on Julie. Enough, already.

Chuck

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:43 pm

I want all these sick bastards dead. I want them all dead, I want their houses burned to the ground.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:07 pm

I wish anything I could write here could bring solace to your loved ones and discomfort to your enemies. As is, I can only offer solidarity.

Return to “General”