The Coefficient of Causality

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

K. M. Kirby

The Coefficient of Causality

Postby K. M. Kirby » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:17 pm

So now it seems that neutrinos have raised the upper limit of light speed by .0002% or something like that.

Now it seems to me, if a gravitational-lensing galaxy could be used to detect any difference in the amount by which a neutrino gets bent by gravity (even by the slightest bit) then we may have the makings of a causality coefficient of some sort.

In science fictional terms, it might show an exact value for what happens to light in the vacuum of space.
--kk

FrankChurch

Re: The Coefficient of Causality

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:07 am

We do have a few billion years to get used to being quantum dust, I think we will be ok till then, unless we really screw up and the polar ice caps melt into our hearts.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:41 pm

Funny how the littlest things are of the biggest consequence.

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:23 pm

It's just one of those little physical details that, if missed by a science fiction writer, could prove to be the difference between a Nebula and a tomato-plastered pillory.

My own opinion--based on various high school courses, college experiences, random readings and infotainment--is that lightspeed appears slower due to the wave component. Basically, it's going up and down in addition to sideways. It would be nice, if the solution were that simple.

So, when light travels, it is also getting pressed into a wave. Maybe there's a convincing way to describe a hyperspaceship that can manage to place itself outside spacial limitations faced by ordinary radiation.
--kk

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:24 pm

Me, I just wanna know how fast the Higgs Bosun is gonna change physics.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Barber wrote:Me, I just wanna know how fast the Higgs Bosun is gonna change physics.

Quite quickly and radically IMNSHO. I mean think about it. Everything is made up of stuff that doesn't have mass. And to find the reason WHY it all has mass.....

I just wonder if there is a way to pass my body through a Higs Bosun field, ya know give it back a few of my Higgs Bosons. I really don't like having quite the Mass I do! :lol:

Return to “General”