EARTHQUAKE 2011: Washington shakes

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

EARTHQUAKE 2011: Washington shakes

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:50 pm

In life there are some experiences you want to have and some you don't. I'll pass on contracting leprosy or being attacked by werewolves, but who wants to go through their entire life without experiencing an earthquake?

This was my first. 5.9 magnitude. 15 seconds. Epicenter about 100 miles south of here in some little town in Virginia. It was shallow and was felt as far south as North Carolina and as far north as Manhattan. At last things get shook up in Washington!

I'm on the 6th floor of an apartment building. Started with a low rumbling and a slight tremor. Then serious shaking for about 15 seconds though it seemed longer for sure. It was weird because I was on the phone with one of my analysts and she is in eastern Maryland about 10 miles from DC. She felt it as soon as I did. So I knew it was an earthquake immediately.

At this point you jaded West Coasters are chuckling but it's truly a strange feeling when it's not something in the room that's shaking but the room itself is shaking.

Well now I've been in an earthquake. I've been in a blizzard and in a hurricane and in a flood, seen a tornado and a heavy meteor shower. What I'm looking forward to is in 2017 there's going to be a total eclipse of the sun whose path of totality will run right down the east coast of the US.

See you there?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Re: EARTHQUAKE 2011: Washington shakes

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:36 pm

Ezra

This jaded West Coaster is just glad that you survived with your wit and humour intact.

During our biggest SF based earthquake I had the pleasure of working in a daycare center. You've never seen precious until you watch a little girl who is just learning to walk attempt to do so with the floor under her feet rolilng like a ocean wave. Sorta looked like was trying to surf.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Pussies.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Frank

What's so pussy about being glad a friend is all right? And the story happened during an earthquake that was 6.2 and it's epicenter was about 5 miles away from the daycare center was.

What's the harshest natural disaster you've lived through. And Blizzards don't count because they happen all the time in your neck of the woods.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:46 pm

Lori asked Frank

What's the harshest natural disaster you've lived through.

Frank let his subscription to Mother Jones run out and missed the swimsuit issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaI3zwZYuGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yRdDnrB5kM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA1wDgPZCDA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztGIKn34Yo4

Had enough? me too.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Ezra

The sick and twisted part of me wants to know if you've been by the National Cathedral lately. Tell me what it looks like if you have.

You think the spire falling off is God's way of trying to say something? :lol:

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 pm

There was a picture somewhere but I can't find it sorry. just the actual top of the spire fell off. Bet it woke up some folks though. Glad nobody got hurt. You would think as widespread as the quake was at least one person would have been beaned by a can of dog food on the top shelf.

Here comes Irene though. We'll probably just get heavy rain. Got some close friends in Charleston, SC and they're nervous.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Copyrights will save them. hahaha.

-------------

A 5.8 earthquake is bubbles and squeaks. I didn't feel it here.

-------------

I didn't realize Barber was gone already. Scamp.

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:10 pm

In 1994, I was living in Van Nuys in LA's San Fernando Valley. The "Northridge Quake," as we called it, had its epicenter about 7 miles from where I lived.

When it hit, I was literally thrown out of bed.

Most quakes are "side to side" affairs; this was ALL up and down, and it was brutal, and LOUD. I thought the world was coming to an end. An entire shopping mall collapsed, Cal State Northridge's 20,000 students met in trailer homes towed in while their campus was swept up. Yeah, swept. Up.

For a year, debris from crumbled homes collected on city streets, where round the clock garbage crews could come by and collect it.

And the aftershocks. Oh God, the aftershocks. Hundreds of them over the next weeks. Thousands over the ensuing months. Three aftershocks, each OVER 5.0 on the Richter scale in the first 30 minutes after the quake. The 6.8 Northridge quake was a shallow affair, a "blind thrust" fault as opposed to a "strike slip" fault that produces the nauseating side-to-side motion.

But here's the weird thing:

LA is a monstrous city, even at night. But at 4:31 AM, with all power cut, we saw the night sky the way the Chumash Indians saw it before our white asses rolled into town. So, so surreal to behold the Milky Way in all its glory for the first time in nearly two centuries, with the ground shaking and quaking, and EVERY SINGLE CAR ALARM GOING OFF!

Speaking of car alarms, for over a week, you could not go for a few minute without hearing a car alarm. The ground shook hourly, sometimes several times an hour, and all day and night: blaring car alarms signaling an end to a formerly rational world.

The whole experience was like crossing a sort of bizarre Twilight Zone portal and entering a new realm.

Even today, after all these years.... :|

PS. I believe Harlan talks about how he was thrown into a shelf of collectables, and nearly missed being crushed by his pool table. The intro to SLIPPAGE details it all.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Harlan also did a Sci-Fi Buzz segment about it, if memory serves, indicating the stairway he was thrown down.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:13 pm

glub glub glub...here in Your Nation's Capitol we're still cleaning the beach sand out of the drains and the firemen are scuttling up their ladders to rescue the fish from the trees. The Potomac rose forty feet over its banks and washed the Washington Monument out to sea. The weather-bots are being powered down and carefully placed back into their coccoons to sleep until the next time they're needed.

I weathered the storm (get it?) locked in a hotel room in Georgetown with a pound of Lebanese blond hash and the nubile members of the senior cheerleading squad of John Brown High School of Lincolntown, Nebraska, stranded in DC since their chaperones and bus crew were snatched away while touring the Washington Monument.

Oh the humanity! The humanity!

What? You didn't hear about all this? Not surprising since the news media were all conveniently stationed in New York awaiting the apocalypse to come with the onset of the GREATEST TROPICAL DEPRESSION OF THE CENTURY, with that endearing level of near hopeless parochialism disguised as sophistication they possess as their birthright.

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:37 pm

And then there was the thing Michelle Bachmann said....

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:02 pm

What? That god speaks to her personally or that her name is really Katrina?
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:15 am

Good to hear from you Neon.

It never fails. After every natural disaster the designated moron de jour claims it as god's vengence on the designated evildoer de jour.

Must say if Washington was the target the Almighty has really lousy aim, he said glancing furtively towards the heavens...

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:33 am

Hey Ezra! Also, it was Conneticut and Vermont that did the Noah thing. Message? If " God" spoke, the danger comes from the Ort cloud not a rain cloud. check out MIR. We need to build a better ark.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Return to “General”