Carver and Chekhov

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

User avatar
Samuel John Klein
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Carver and Chekhov

Postby Samuel John Klein » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:43 am

I checked out a book of Chekhov stories from the Library. Already have one by Raymond Carver.

I'm going to put both of them on a nightstand and let them duke it out.

SAm.
Short story writer AND starship helmsman? The man was a polymath!
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

User avatar
Ezra Lb.
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:02 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Samuel John Klein wrote:I checked out a book of Chekhov stories from the Library. Already have one by Raymond Carver.

I'm going to put both of them on a nightstand and let them duke it out.

SAm.
Short story writer AND starship helmsman? The man was a polymath!


Carver will never know what hit him!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

User avatar
Samuel John Klein
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby Samuel John Klein » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:
Samuel John Klein wrote:I checked out a book of Chekhov stories from the Library. Already have one by Raymond Carver.

I'm going to put both of them on a nightstand and let them duke it out.

SAm.
Short story writer AND starship helmsman? The man was a polymath!


Carver will never know what hit him!


And then I'm going to create an anthology of slashfic titled What We Talk About When We Talk About Raymond Carver and Anton Chekhov Slash Fiction

SAm.
Bored, obvs.
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

User avatar
Moderator
Site Admin
Posts: 10607
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:12 pm

Carver will cut him up, bake him, and serve Chekhov en brouchette.

(I would love to be able to read Chekhov in Russian, btw.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:18 am

Klein, you won't read any of those books and you know it. You are reading James Patterson and Kathy Reichs, who you kiddin?

Chekhov just made a meatball from Carver's corpse, served it on a bed of living angels.

User avatar
Samuel John Klein
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:50 am

Barber wrote:Carver will cut him up, bake him, and serve Chekhov en brouchette.

(I would love to be able to read Chekhov in Russian, btw.)


I always wanted to read Goethe in the original German. Never learned enough German.

SAm.
Auf wiederhoeren.
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

User avatar
Samuel John Klein
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:52 am

FrankChurch wrote:Klein, you won't read any of those books and you know it. You are reading James Patterson and Kathy Reichs, who you kiddin?


Yeh, you're right, Frank. I'm reading a copy of MAD magazine actually. You got me, fellah.

FrankChurch wrote: Chekhov just made a meatball from Carver's corpse, served it on a bed of living angels.


With all of this foody imagery, I expect Gordon Ramsay to come in and make risotto out of bof'um.

SAm.
"Its RAAAAAAAAW!"
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

User avatar
NeonMosfet
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:36 am
Location: E=MaCy^2
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby NeonMosfet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:06 am

Samuel John Klein wrote:
Barber wrote:Carver will cut him up, bake him, and serve Chekhov en brouchette.

(I would love to be able to read Chekhov in Russian, btw.)


I always wanted to read Goethe in the original German. Never learned enough German.

SAm.
Auf wiederhoeren.
I read that. Iphigenia auf Tauris. Overly Dramatic in the way Shakespeare was.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

User avatar
Samuel John Klein
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby Samuel John Klein » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:10 am

NeonMosfet wrote:
Samuel John Klein wrote:I always wanted to read Goethe in the original German. Never learned enough German.

SAm.
Auf wiederhoeren.
I read that. Iphigenia auf Tauris. Overly Dramatic in the way Shakespeare was.


I'd heard that Goethe is to Germany as Shakespeare is to England, so that makes sense.

SAm.
To be or ... what was the question?
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

User avatar
Chuck Messer
Posts: 2089
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 9:15 pm
Location: Lakewood, Colorado

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:56 am

And let's not forget Iphigenia auf Brooklyn by P.D.Q. Bach.

And you don't know Shakespeare until you've seen him in the original German. Or was that Klingon?

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

User avatar
NeonMosfet
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:36 am
Location: E=MaCy^2
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby NeonMosfet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

It was like reading Klingon. Sheesh. When i took German in school, they threw Einstein at me. This wasn't the Life and Times, either. I had to really do the math.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

User avatar
Samuel John Klein
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby Samuel John Klein » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:24 am

NeonMosfet wrote:It was like reading Klingon. Sheesh. When i took German in school, they threw Einstein at me. This wasn't the Life and Times, either. I had to really do the math.


Didn't Einstein prove, famously, prove that he was actually Scottish via the famous equation

Code: Select all

E=MC^2


where

Code: Select all

E=Einstein
MC^2=his clan name as best he would render it in his native language/accent, pronounced "McTwo"


Truly a genius for the ages.

SAm.
German, but you wouldn't know it.
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

User avatar
NeonMosfet
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:36 am
Location: E=MaCy^2
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby NeonMosfet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:50 am

Or that Macy*s has better sales. It's all relative, doncha know?
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

paul
Posts: 877
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:04 pm
Location: ATX
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby paul » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Chuck Messer wrote:And let's not forget Iphigenia auf Brooklyn by P.D.Q. Bach.

Chuck


Oh man. I got to see Peter Schickle give a performance here and it was UFB. Un-f@^&ing-believable! I have a ton Of P.D.Q. Bach, but you are just not prepared to see what the hell they're doing to make that music. Kinda like Weird Al, people go googy-eyed when you tell them an Al concert costs something like $65-$75 dollars, but they don't understand all the costume changes, the time spent (the show is like 2 1/2 hrs. long), and the fact that his band is one of the best, most versatile groups on earth.

Oedipus Tex rocks balls out. great stuff.
The medium is the message.

User avatar
NeonMosfet
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:36 am
Location: E=MaCy^2
Contact:

Re: Carver and Chekhov

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Sounds interseting
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests